[SOLVED] RTX 2080 TI Overheat Closed Case

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Hi,

I've been experiencing some strange symptoms where my GPU (RTX 2080 ti Windforce OC) temperatures get to throttle temperatures (88 Celcius) with simply the power limit set to 110%, and the fan speed is set to 100%. What's strange is that with an open case, the temperatures stay 77-79, whereas CPU temperatures remain more or less the same (3 degree variation max)

I've tried multiple fan setups with this case (Corsair 275r), but they always produce the same threshold. Is there something wrong with the cards ability to diffuse heat due to maybe an issue with the fan needing compensation with clear open case? I've tried 2 140mm intake fans with 2x 120mm exhaust; and 1 140mm and 1 120mm intake (front) and 2x 120mm exhaust (fans also calibrated on bios) and it really seems to have little to no impact on GPU temperatures (CPU, if any change, is no more than 3 degrees)

Clearly with the case closed, it is causing the GPU to be reusing the same warmed air, but I don't see how this can be significant, considering how it had little to no affect on the CPU, and with 2 140mm intakes and 2 120mm exhausts (calibrated speeds tested, too). Is the GPU somehow faulty and even the smallest reused air heat isn't diffused?

Current build :

-RTX 2080 ti (Windforce OC)
-i7 8700k w/ Be Quiet Pro Rock 4 cooler
-z390 Aorus Ultra
-G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz
-Supernova G2 750w
-Corsair C275r
-Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
-WD Blue1tb

Thanks for your time,

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The fans installed at the front, is the fan motor facing inwards?

xopen-grille.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YEPgZw8Mwr.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Right hand side of that picture i think you mean? Just making sure, the direction the arrow is pointing, it's pointing toward inside your case? Not as in front, meaning the motor isn't facing the front and outwards of your case?

Though that case is very aesthetically pleasing , it is notoriously bad for ventilation. My recommendation is to transfer your internal components to a better case with front mesh that doubles as a dust filter. Don't use cases with additional dust filters because those cases can reduce the effectiveness of ventilation.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZybfT2sBG2A

Solution

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Right hand side of that picture i think you mean? Just making sure, the direction the arrow is pointing, it's pointing toward inside your case? Not as in front, meaning the motor isn't facing the front and outwards of your case?
The direction of the arrow facing the inside of the case. I also thought the fans were an issue earlier, and tested to see the air flow; I could clearly feel they were going the right way (the front panel fans were blowing air in, rear panel blowing out)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The direction of the arrow facing the inside of the case. I also thought the fans were an issue earlier, and tested to see the air flow; I could clearly feel they were going the right way (the front panel fans were blowing air in, rear panel blowing out)

Yeah they're facing the right way and you can feel air with the side panel open because air is there to move but once you close case, those fans would be drawing in very little.

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Though that case is very aesthetically pleasing , it is notoriously bad for ventilation. My recommendation is to transfer your internal components to a better case with front mesh that doubles as a dust filter. Don't use cases with additional dust filters because those cases can reduce the effectiveness of ventilation.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZybfT2sBG2A
Maybe not a remarkably good case, but it seems roughly 3 degrees above the average of the tested sample? Again, air flow seems to be the cause for the 8 or so degree inrease vs open case, but isn't the open case performance also concerning - at 80 Celcius with a 28ish ambience is unreasonably high, isn't it?

I say all this because it seems the CPU only increases temperature by 3 degrees, whereas the gpu rises by over 8, and the baseline (open case) is still high. I don't understand the process of how these components diffuse heat, which made me think that maybe the 'reused' air heat by the gpu isn't well diffused and its compensated heavily by open air contrary to the well working cpu?

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah they're facing the right way and you can feel air with the side panel open because air is there to move but once you close case, those fans would be drawing in very little.

Oh, that makes sense. So the intake is actually from the side panel, but with the panel closed, due to the arguably bad design, they are doing nothing?

Alright. That makes some sense, but I'm still concerned why the CPU temps remain fairly stable in comparison (3 degree differential) and the GPU and the GPU temps open case (80 celcius 27ish ambience) is still alarmingly high?

Maybe not a remarkably good case, but it seems roughly 3 degrees above the average of the tested sample? Again, air flow seems to be the cause for the 8 or so degree inrease vs open case, but isn't the open case performance also concerning - at 80 Celcius with a 28ish ambience is unreasonably high, isn't it?

I say all this because it seems the CPU only increases temperature by 3 degrees, whereas the gpu rises by over 8, and the baseline (open case) is still high. I don't understand the process of how these components diffuse heat, which made me think that maybe the 'reused' air heat by the gpu isn't well diffused and its compensated heavily by open air contrary to the well working cpu?
100% correct on the gpu, especially if it isn't reference design. Reference design can at least exhaust hot air through it's own separate, closed off channel. Open air high end graphics cards will be recycling and contributing to the majority of heat build up, in that case.

Reactions: deadlytivo

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, that makes sense. So the intake is actually from the side panel, but with the panel closed, due to the arguably bad design, they are doing nothing?

Alright. That makes some sense, but I'm still concerned why the CPU temps remain fairly stable in comparison (3 degree differential) and the GPU and the GPU temps open case (80 celcius 27ish ambience) is still alarmingly high?

Air pressure is the difference in a vacuum type scenario. With case closed and if intake/exhaust fans are doing their job properly will accelerate air through the case and exhaust hot air much quicker rather than increase ambient temp around the component. I would say why cpu isn't getting as hot is it's got a bigger cooler.

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
100% correct on the gpu, especially if it isn't reference design. Reference design can at least exhaust hot air through it's own separate, closed off channel. Open air high end graphics cards will be recycling and contributing to the majority of heat build up, in that case.
Could it be then that the thermal paste wasn't well applied?

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
For some weird reason, while nobody will agree with me, i'm seeing 5°C less with side and rear fan exhaust and no intake. I have no idea where it draws in cool air, but it just works well. Also my case is a tower that lays on its side, left side up.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For some weird reason, while nobody will agree with me, i'm seeing 5°C less with side and rear fan exhaust and no intake. I have no idea where it draws in cool air, but it just works well. Also my case is a tower that lays on its side, left side up.
The level of power consumption of yours and the OPs build isn't on the same level.
Plus, exhaust only cases aren't unusual. The NZXT H500 and it's variants use a default exhaust only setup.

deadlytivo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
It's 100% the case. A RTX 2080 ti has no business being in a 275R.
Alright, I will open the
It's 100% the case. A RTX 2080 ti has no business being in a 275R.
I tried to emulate those other case designs by taking the front cover off, and it seems to now produce the same temperatures to an open side panel setup, within a 3 degree differential.

Somewhat reassuring, although I am still concerned about the 'baseline' 80 degree thermals. I am satisfied with eliminating , at the least, one factor (if not all). I will mark this question resolved, but will like to also explore (potentially with another post) if these GPU temps are within the normal range for this model.

Thanks again to all who answered.

Reactions: boju
I have the exact same GPU and CPU. As a reference, with my GPU overclocked and under full 4k/Ultra gaming load it hits almost 2000MHz and temp is 79c in a 25c room. Shoot for 80c or less and it should be ok. I set my thermal limit at 82c just to be safe. I did experiment a lot to get my temps down. I do agree with SgtScream that you need a better case.