[SOLVED] Rtx 2080 Ti PCI connectors

Apr 28, 2022
Hey, so i just got a msi rtx 2080 ti trio gaming, its got two 8 pin connectors and a 6 pin. While my PSU is 1500w unit, i dont have a 6 pin connector.

my question is can it post without the 6 pin connector?

If not, will a sata to 6 pin connector be good enough to power the card?

thanks

Solution
The PSU is a super flower 80plus platinum 1500w, i dont have the 6 pin cable and i only have two 6+2 pin headers
Super Flower has Leadex Platinum 850W, Platinum 1000W SE, Platinum Pro 1000W, Platinum Pro 1000W White, Platinum 1600W as far as I can see. There's no Super Flower Platinum 1500W, even on their own website.

So as I guessed you are either lacking some of the cables? Or the PSU is something else. You bought the PSU used?

I guess if you make sure what PSU you have you'd have to ask manufacturer if they sell spare cables for that exact model model you have with exact part number and revision number etc.

And I personally wouldn't connect SATA to make up for PCIE 6-pin.
D

Deleted member 362816

What specific PSU do you have?
I wouldnt use SATA to PCIE adapters at all.

You would have to be doing ln2 in order for that card to ever saturate even the 2x 8 pins + 75 from motherboard and 75 from 6 pin.

This would be the one case where I would say a adaptor is ok on the 6 pin.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What specific PSU do you have?

Yes this ^. What kind of 1500W PSU does not not have enough PCIE power connectors for a 2080Ti?

What is the exact brand and model of the PSU and how old is it?

Or you mean you don't have all the cables that came with the PSU when you bought it?

The PCIE cables from PSU to grapics card usually split into a 6+2-pin header at the end that connects to graphics card. Are you sure you don't have a 6-pin?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Apr 28, 2022
Yes this ^. What kind of 1500W PSU does not not have enough PCIE power connectors for a 2080Ti?

What is the exact brand and model of the PSU and how old is it?

Or you mean you don't have all the cables that came with the PSU when you bought it?

The PCIE cables from PSU to grapics card usually split into a 6+2-pin header at the end that connects to graphics card. Are you sure you don't have a 6-pin?

if i do that, it leaves one of the 8 pin connectors unplugged

The PSU is a super flower 80plus platinum 1500w, i dont have the 6 pin cable and i only have two 6+2 pin headers
I checked Super Flower's website. They don't have a 1500W unit, even in their "Phased out" product catalog. And my 5 minutes of searching for a 1500W unit from Super Flower that's 80PLUS Platinum is turning up nothing. The closest thing I could find that they have is their LEADEX models, which do have 3 PCIe lines. And even then, typically one line on high-end power supplies are pulling double duty so there should be at least 6 plugs available.

Also as above, I have a hard time believing a high-end power supply is lacking in enough PCIe connectors for any single card. So my conclusion here is either you don't have what you think you have or you're missing cables.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Super Flower has Leadex Platinum 850W, Platinum 1000W SE, Platinum Pro 1000W, Platinum Pro 1000W White, Platinum 1600W as far as I can see. There's no Super Flower Platinum 1500W, even on their own website.

So as I guessed you are either lacking some of the cables? Or the PSU is something else. You bought the PSU used?

I guess if you make sure what PSU you have you'd have to ask manufacturer if they sell spare cables for that exact model model you have with exact part number and revision number etc.

And I personally wouldn't connect SATA to make up for PCIE 6-pin.

Solution
Apr 28, 2022
I checked Super Flower's website. They don't have a 1500W unit, even in their "Phased out" product catalog. And my 5 minutes of searching for a 1500W unit from Super Flower that's 80PLUS Platinum is turning up nothing. The closest thing I could find that they have is their LEADEX models, which do have 3 PCIe lines. And even then, typically one line on high-end power supplies are pulling double duty so there should be at least 6 plugs available.

Also as above, I have a hard time believing a high-end power supply is lacking in enough PCIe connectors for any single card. So my conclusion here is either you don't have what you think you have or you're missing cables.
i checked again and its 1000w not 1500w. Thats the problem i dont have enough cables for the card. I couldnt find any cables for this PSU on super flower’s websites

im going to buy a pci spliter cable like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-Expres...4&sprefix=8+pin+pci+canke+to+16,aps,71&sr=8-5
Would this work?

i checked again and its 1000w not 1500w. Thats the problem i dont have enough cables for the card. I couldnt find any cables for this PSU on super flower’s websites
It has plenty of cables.
6 PCIE power cables. 4 of those with single PCIE 6+2 connector and 2 cables with 2 6+2pin connectors.

20210107142958.jpg

if i do that, it leaves one of the 8 pin connectors unplugged
You may be misunderstanding.
You'll use all three 8-pin connectors but, on the one that plugs into the 6-pin header on the GPU, you'll just disconnect the extra two pins from that plug. The two pins will still be there they'll just be hanging/not plugged into anything. This is all on the GPU side, of course. You need everything plugged in on the PSU side.

Dont use any adapters, there is zero reason to do so with such a high end PSU.
From what I am reading, that superflower unit uses E series cables, which means you can order replacements. Cablemod for example has them in any color youd want, and its listed on their compatibility page.

Im sure you can find cabled online, or contact superflower directly for replacement.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah, that's why I said:
Or maybe some third party vendor that sells cablse for that exact model (part number and revision number).

Whichever way you want to get spare cables you have to make absolutely sure the PSU end of the cable is compatible with your particular PSU. Wrong cable with wrong pinout would end very badly for the card and the PSU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is exactly why when I build a PC for somebody if their local you get the PSU box with all the extra cables, if it's shipped it comes in the case box but all the extra cables are zip tied in the case out of sight.

I have no clue why everybody don't do that.