Question RTX 2080 TI - Shuts off under load... help :(

Jul 17, 2019
I bought my PC on finance a couple of months ago as it was the best financial option for me at the time, however the turn around time for a repair is too long, therefore I would like to eliminate the problem myself if possible, therefore I have tried all I can to find out the problem and have resorted to a forum.

So my PC was fine a couple of months ago and then suddenly it would randomly turn itself off whilst I'm playing a game, and then restart back up again like nothing happened beforehand. I left it for a while thinking that it was a bug of some sort.

But recently it has got worse and worse, therefore I decided to investigate; so as a test I decided to run a couple of games and see what would work and what wouldn't.
The games which I found to crash my PC under load would be the following:
GTA V - Online.
CSGO - All maps par 1.
Minecraft - PGTI Shaders enabled.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Trial (4K, Ultra Settings, Ray Tracing Enabled.) - During the first cut-scene.

So I decided to do some further testing with stress tests on both my CPU and GPU and found nothing out of the ordinary, therefore I would try both at the same time which still came up as normal. Once I had done that I was quite confused and checked online which it would seem to be a PSU issue, therefore I checked how big my PSU was, and it was a 550W Corsair PSU.

I did some calculations on some online calculators and found that it is a borderline PSU for my system, therefore I contacted those of which sold me the PC and explained my problem up until now and they supplied my with a replacement PSU of 650W, which in itself took a week to come with a next-day shipping service.

After installing that, I have found that the problem still remains, however it is not as bad as it was before, so I tested the same games above and got the following:
GTA V - Untested.
CSGO - Works fine. (Happened once in the menu.)
Minecraft - Works fine.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Trial (4K, Ultra Settings, Ray Tracing Enabled.) - I actually got to play a bit of it, lasted about 10 minutes and crashed.

I also tested all of these under EVGA PrecisionX1 software this time and monitored the fan speeds, target power, clock speeds and voltage and tried to tweak accordingly to see if any of that was an issue and it seemed to make little to no difference on everything except the fan speeds, but even that wasn't much of a change. (Edit: Temps go up to 75C max (playing tomb raider))

I have read online about PSU's and their multi/single railing systems, and found that I cannot change mine from multi to single rail as mine is a single rail anyway, so any fixes regarding that wouldn't help. Other people saying that getting a new PSU fixed their issue is also inapplicable here. The only other option in which I can think of is the GPU, but as this is a PC on a finance contract it can't be RMA'd and I would need to go through the company which may take a while, which I can't really risk going without my computer for that long due to work, as it's not like it doesn't completely work at all.

So I am starting to wonder what's actually wrong here, is it the new PSU that's still not got enough power to run my system or is it my GPU which is faulty for whatever reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Specs are as follows:
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz Octa-Core Processor
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB Graphics Card
ASUS Prime H310 PLUS Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4, 2666 MHz RAM
Corsair VS650 (Was VS550)
500GB M.2 SSD
(If I'm missing something you need, let me know and I'll be happy to provide.)

EDIT: I've tried every driver possible which would work and no improvements, also dabbled in the concept of flashing BIOS onto it, but decided against due to warranty purposes.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019
I Agree VS is junk and likely the crux of your problem. They can't hold up to a power hungry gaming GPU.

A 650W Seasonic Focus would be good if you can get that.

Thanks for the response and recommendation, if possible I'd like to refrain from buying parts for this as it's on finance as mentioned, therefore I don't feel comfortable swapping out too many parts of it when I haven't fully paid for it, plus I do think it's partly their responsibility, therefore if I see a consistent theme of people saying the problem is most likely the PSU then I will call up and ask for another replacement before buying one myself as a last resort.

Thanks

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks for the response and recommendation, if possible I'd like to refrain from buying parts for this as it's on finance as mentioned, therefore I don't feel comfortable swapping out too many parts of it when I haven't fully paid for it, plus I do think it's partly their responsibility, therefore if I see a consistent theme of people saying the problem is most likely the PSU then I will call up and ask for another replacement before buying one myself as a last resort.

Thanks

Yeah I figured. If I financed a PC I would tell them Fix it or take it back. However its a suggestion you could make for a new replacement. I'm 100% sure its your PSU causing this.