Question RTX 2080 ti sli requirements

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi folks

I'm about to build a new rig for myself.

I have most of the hardware, just waiting on a couple of bits but I'm a bit concerned about my PSU so thought i'd ask.

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Dark Rock Pro 4
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4
i9 9900k (stock, no OC)
2 x RTX 2080 Ti (stock, no OC)
2 x EVO 970 m.2 nvme (1tb and 2tb)

Note: Usual peripherals i.e USB Mouse, Keyboard but i do not have any other storage, optical etc, purely m.2 storage.

The PSU I have (unopened, so could easily change) is the EVGA 750 GQ Gold 80+

Should I be concerned?

Please, answers about PSU is all I'm looking for, I don't want to get into a debate about why sli rtx 2080 ti blah blah, I have my reasons lol. Would just like some confidence in the PSU.

Thanks!

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Agree with this, SLI is stupid in 2019 unless you have a specific application/game that you KNOW can scale well with SLI.

This is EXACTLY why in my original post, I said:

Please, answers about PSU is all I'm looking for, I don't want to get into a debate about why sli rtx 2080 ti blah blah, I have my reasons lol. Would just like some confidence in the PSU.

I am aware of the pitfalls. I am aware of its limitations and and at no point did I mention this was a gaming rig :) There would be little to no advantage of the 9900k stock over the 9700k stock in gaming, nor the 2 x rtx 2080 ti over the 1 x rtx 2080 ti for a great many games.

Yes I will be gaming. No I wont be gaming exclusively. Yes, the games I do play DO scale VERY well in SLI. Between 50-70% fps increase in fact.

Questions:
  1. Also what specific memory kit do you have? If you're spending that kind of money on a system, IMO the bare minimum should be 3200mhz kit of cas 14 b-die samsung memory.
  2. What is your monitor(s) resolution and refresh rate?

Apologies, I should of included these.

The monitor I am using is the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ (4k 144hz Gsync) along side the Predator Z35P (3440x1440 120hz Gsync).

The memory is 3000mhz cas 15 corsair memory, purely because that is what came out of my last build. I will probably go 3200 cas 14, if anyone can recommend a decent kit? Preferably 4x8 (price seems better than 2 x 16).

NO, the GQ is crap.

Do NOT cheap out on the PSU.

Noted, thanks for the heads up, GQ avoided, went with the SuperNOVA G2. It wasn't for the sake of cheaping out, it was because the GQ could be sourced same day, where was it's 24hrs for the G2. I'm waiting the 24hrs!

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Yuk. Coil whine. :(

So I'm using the G2. It's all working well, but, as soon as I do anything intensive in 4k, there is distinct coil whine from the PSU. Normal for this model? Or worthy of a return? Note that this whine is what everything is at stock (cpu and gpu's), either when i start a render project, game or benchmark.

Yuk. Coil whine. :(

So I'm using the G2. It's all working well, but, as soon as I do anything intensive in 4k, there is distinct coil whine from the PSU. Normal for this model? Or worthy of a return? Note that this whine is what everything is at stock (cpu and gpu's), either when i start a render project, game or benchmark.

Likely coming from one of the GPU's.

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Likely coming from one of the GPU's.

It's not. My PSU is in a separate chamber in the case from the GPU's. I have listened closely in the main chamber where the GPUs are and there is no whine. I am all too familiar with GPU coil whine as I had a GTX 1080Ti (rog strix) which was terrible for it whenever I benchmarked). I opened the PSU chamber at the back of the case, stuck my ear to the PSU to be sure and it was 100% coming from there.

I've requested an RMA, the instantly accepted, didn't even question. Hopefully replacement not as bad. I'll maybe try the Corsair RMx 1000 if the 2nd EVGA one is as bad.

Thanks for your time everyone, appreciate it.

Murdo

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
RMA was processed, replacement G2 absolutely zero coil whine and happily runs silently for the majority of the time. Until gaming...!

So I am gaming... but also working. Sadly I've mostly been working but hopefully get round to more gaming sometime soon.

I did a few initial tests.. mostly GTA V and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

GTA V, I maxed out in 4k with the exception of MSAA. This was set to 4x, not 8x. Everything else was maxed, shadows full, Ultra/High where ever possible etc.

Single Card, CPU @ 25% avg, 50c, GPU @ 99%, FPS between 60 and 70 (58 lowest).

NVLink, CPU @50% avg, 70c, GPU1 @ 96%, GPU 2 @ 80% avg, sometimes 90%, FPS between 100 and 110. (99 lowest)

Pretty happy with those results. Shadow of the Tomb Raider saw a similar performance jump. 4k max settings, I was able to maintain a very smooth 120fps avg with the lowest being 108 and highest being 129.

There is not much overclocking going on here, it's stock i9 9900k with auto boost to 4.7 across all cores and both RTX's running stock core and memory. Corsair 3000mhz memory is the only thing which i have set to 3200 xmp.

Reactions: jankerson