Question rtx 2080ti only at 15-30% usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hey, i have an rtx 2080ti and an r7 2700x when i play more demanding games like doom i get the 90-100% usage but when i play easy games like fortnite i usually get 80fps and 15% usage. Anyone know why this is happening and could help me?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Does userbenchmark recognise the gpu now?

I’ve not seen a dying gpu just loose performance, there are usually more serious issues so I’d expect the gpu is ok.

It’s at this point I might consider a fresh install of Windows anyway to rule out a software problem.
also do you think my issue can be from playing in 1080p i just got my card second hand and it’s a big upgrade from what i was running before (r9 390 8gb) so i’m still playing on my 1080p 165hz monitor i’m planning to switch to 1440p soon.

also do you think my issue can be from playing in 1080p i just got my card second hand and it’s a big upgrade from what i was running before (r9 390 8gb) so i’m still playing on my 1080p 165hz monitor i’m planning to switch to 1440p soon.
Running 1080p on a game like Fortnite that is not very gpu demanding is always going to result in low gpu utilisation. Going to 1440p would give the gpu more work so you would see higher utilisation but you won’t see an increase in fps. Other games that are more gpu demanding will utilise the gpu more.

However 80fps on Fortnite does seem rather low.

Reactions: helper800

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From now on, when you look at cpu usage, look at each core. Looking at cpu usage as the whole does not work very well.
I don't think Fortnite is 'easy' either, if not going in the opposite direction.
If Doom is gpu, Fortnite is cpu single core + ram, which is typical of mass multiplayer games.
There's also the expansions/updates that come with some of these live service titles, which slightly increase system requirements. Chapter 1 probably is easier to run than Chapter 3.

i was also wondering why it didn’t “detect” the gpu i have the latest nvidia driver.
Gpu crashed - for one reason or other - during the graphics test.
Unstable overclock? Corrupt/broken/bad driver? Got too hot?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
From now on, when you look at cpu usage, look at each core. Looking at cpu usage as the whole does not work very well.
I don't think Fortnite is 'easy' either, if not going in the opposite direction.
If Doom is gpu, Fortnite is cpu single core + ram, which is typical of mass multiplayer games.
There's also the expansions/updates that come with some of these live service titles, which slightly increase system requirements. Chapter 1 probably is easier to run than Chapter 3.

i’m going to pay attention to all the cores because i was only paying attention to what it measures as a whole. it would measure 50-60% usage as a whole i’ll check each core individually

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019

UPDATE: i have played fortnite and got up to 80-90% usage on some cores not all of them and i also played the newly released halo infinite and my gpu did max out to 100% usage but also paying attention to the cpu some of the cores were reaching 90-100% on the cpu but i was still getting well over 250 frames

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All it takes is just one, and it doesn't have to be a perfect 100% to do it.
There's a single thread that has to handle all instructions from the game engine as well as inputs from you.
Even with all these multi-threaded cpus, many titles are bound by that one thread. That - ram plays a small role - determines fps.

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
All it takes is just one, and it doesn't have to be a perfect 100% to do it.
There's a single thread that has to handle all instructions from the game engine as well as inputs from you.
Even with all these multi-threaded cpus, many titles are bound by that one thread. That - ram plays a small role - determines fps.
so what you’re saying is my cpu is bottle necking? and my ram never reaches max usage so that can’t be my bottle neck

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
That's what your latest update suggests.

It's not to do with capacity. I suppose ram bandwidth would be more accurate. It's role is minor though.
The cpu and ram work as a pair, it's not really just the cpu or its cores alone.
weird. 3200mhz ram should be enough for ryzen tho. you think i’ll be good when i put it my 9900k and what should i do when i swap it out?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Fiddlesticks, I dun' goofed and made this more complicated than it needed to be by bringing up the ram...
Going back to simple: The kit's running in dual channel, not single, and it's a decent speed, it's fine.
2700X isn't fast enough in single thread for the settings you want to run. One or more threads are maxing out, so it can't deliver any more.

You're going to need to completely reinstall Windows when switching from one brand to the other(AMD -> Intel, and vice versa).

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Surprised nobody has directly said this yet but games at 1080p are more cpu dependent then they are gpu. Until you start moving up to 1440p you won't see the gpu doing most of the work. IMO your cpu for sure is bottlenecking you...Not sure how Fortnite is as I don't play it but in Cod multiplayer I get 220-240fps at 1440p with a 2080ti mind you this is with an OC'd 5900x.

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Surprised nobody has directly said this yet but games at 1080p are more cpu dependent then they are gpu. Until you start moving up to 1440p you won't see the gpu doing most of the work. IMO your cpu for sure is bottlenecking you...Not sure how Fortnite is as I don't play it but in Cod multiplayer I get 220-240fps at 1440p with a 2080ti mind you this is with an OC'd 5900x.
i’ve seen in hw monitor that my cpu is bottlenecking pretty bad i’m going to switch to 1440p by the end of the year and i’m also adding an i9 9900k with a maximus 11 mobo today so i should be good from now on right?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Fiddlesticks, I dun' goofed and made this more complicated than it needed to be by bringing up the ram...
Going back to simple: The kit's running in dual channel, not single, and it's a decent speed, it's fine.
2700X isn't fast enough in single thread for the settings you want to run. One or more threads are maxing out, so it can't deliver any more.

You're going to need to completely reinstall Windows when switching from one brand to the other(AMD -> Intel, and vice versa).
can i use sysprep? will that allow me to make the change?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Update: just installed a 9900k with a new install of windows. i am still bottle necking it fortnite which is ridiculous i know this isn’t new hardware but this stuff was top of the line 2 years ago. i am getting over 200fps on 1080p till my cpu hits 100% and brings it down to about 140fps yes this is playable but still isn’t what i would expect from high end hardware like this. do you think this issue is simply because i’m playing at 1080p at the moment?

Update: just installed a 9900k with a new install of windows. i am still bottle necking it fortnite which is ridiculous i know this isn’t new hardware but this stuff was top of the line 2 years ago. i am getting over 200fps on 1080p till my cpu hits 100% and brings it down to about 140fps yes this is playable but still isn’t what i would expect from high end hardware like this. do you think this issue is simply because i’m playing at 1080p at the moment?
What is the cpu temperature and speed (GHz) when the drop to 140fps happens?

I would not expect Fortnite to use 100% of a 2080Ti. It is not a gpu demanding game and with any reasonably powerful gpu with be fps limited mainly by the cpu/RAM.

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
What is the cpu temperature and speed (GHz) when the drop to 140fps happens?

I would not expect Fortnite to use 100% of a 2080Ti. It is not a gpu demanding game and with any reasonably powerful gpu with be fps limited mainly by the cpu/RAM.
well it did not use 100% of my gpu but it used 100% on a couple of cores on the cpu. temperatures were around 60c on the cpu and 50-60c on the gpu.

well it did not use 100% of my gpu but it used 100% on a couple of cores on the cpu. temperatures were around 60c on the cpu and 50-60c on the gpu.
That cpu/gpu usage seems about right. I’d expect the cpu to be the limiting factor. Monitor the cpu speed (GHz) while if game, if the cpu throttles (lowers GHz) when the fps drops that would be something to look into.

Now you have the 9900k setup can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
That cpu/gpu usage seems about right. I’d expect the cpu to be the limiting factor. Monitor the cpu speed (GHz) while if game, if the cpu throttles (lowers GHz) when the fps drops that would be something to look into.

Now you have the 9900k setup can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.
the 9900k is still reaching 90-100% on games like call of duty war zone even though i’m getting 170ish frames. think it’s because of 1080p