Question RTX 2080TI only being utilized 50-80% no matter what game, getting low FPS

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
So as title states, no matter what game i play, my RTX 2080TI will only be utilized around 50-80%, no matter how demanding the game, and will yield bad FPS.

Ill start off with my specs:
i9-9900K
RTX 2080TI
32gig 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram
250gig system ssd, 1TB game ssd
1000W platinum corsair powersupply
5 case fans and good GPU fan curve (gpu never hits more than 70C). CPU watercooled, never hitting more than 70C either.
I have 3 monitors, 2 1080p 144hz on each side, and a 1440p 144hz monitor in the middle as the main display. Recently swapped out a 4K 60hz monitor for the 1440p 144hz i have now, (jumped on the 4k bandwagon a bit too early and started missing 144hz)

I cant pinpoint when this problem started, but it was recently. Playing Rust, my GPU is being utilized around 50-60% average, and will at the very max hit 82-86% for a few seconds and then go back down. Now, this would be great if i had 144fps constantly, but i dont. The game will run at around 90-120 FPS, sometimes dipping down in the 80's, which is annoying when you have a 144hz display. You might think "well, not all games utilize the GPU to its full potential", and that is true but that also means if i lower my settings my FPS should increase. At maximum settings in Rust i got 90-120. I tried lowering to almost the worst settings possible, and still got 90-120FPS with 50-60% gpu usage.

Another game i tried is Sea of Thieves. While not a very demanding game, once again im getting 80-120 FPS, with 50-60% average gpu usage. Tried lowering to the worst settings possible, and it stays the same.

I've switched my windows power settings from balanced to performance, but that did nothing.

Im hoping someone can help me with this. I've searched on google for a while but was never able to find someone with the exact same problem i have. Mostly just laptop users having windows on power save mode.

Here is a screenshot of OHM while playing Rust: View: https://i.imgur.com/KjOvs1n.png

Are you running the games with VSync or GSync or whatever nVidia labels their synchro methods nowadays? You may need to check the drivers as well for that.

Also, are you sure you have your monitor using 144Hz refresh rate?

Additionally, do you run the games in the 4K screen with the other two just showing the desktop (or a browser or whatever)? Do you have the "multi monitor setup" enabled for the performance profile of your 2080ti?

What else... I think that's about it for now...

Cheers!

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Are you running the games with VSync or GSync or whatever nVidia labels their synchro methods nowadays? You may need to check the drivers as well for that.

Also, are you sure you have your monitor using 144Hz refresh rate?

Additionally, do you run the games in the 4K screen with the other two just showing the desktop (or a browser or whatever)? Do you have the "multi monitor setup" enabled for the performance profile of your 2080ti?

What else... I think that's about it for now...

Cheers!

Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me.
Ill start from the top: VSync is disabled in both games, and i've set the frame cap in both games to 144.

My old 4K monitor was G-Sync compatible, but unfortunately my new 144hz monitor only has Freesync. I didnt manually turn off G-Sync, but im guessing the Nvidia control panel turns it off as it detects the new monitor? I cant see anything about G-Sync in the control panel anyway.

I've got the latest GPU drivers, released only a few days ago. Have tried checking for updates but it says im on the latest drivers.

All my monitors are at 144hz. Double checked in NVidia control panel, and i can also feel it having used 60Hz for a couple years before this. Im one of those that can very easily feel difference in 60-144hz. All 3 are definitely at 144.

"Additionally, do you run the games in the 4K screen with the other two just showing the desktop (or a browser or whatever)? " - Just to clear it up: Im not using my 4K monitor anymore. I switched it for a 1440p 144hz. But yes, my 1440p monitor runs the games, and on my left monitor i have hardware monitor and a few other things, and the right monitor i basically use for Discord.

Hope that helps!

Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me.
Ill start from the top: VSync is disabled in both games, and i've set the frame cap in both games to 144.

My old 4K monitor was G-Sync compatible, but unfortunately my new 144hz monitor only has Freesync. I didnt manually turn off G-Sync, but im guessing the Nvidia control panel turns it off as it detects the new monitor? I cant see anything about G-Sync in the control panel anyway.

I've got the latest GPU drivers, released only a few days ago. Have tried checking for updates but it says im on the latest drivers.

All my monitors are at 144hz. Double checked in NVidia control panel, and i can also feel it having used 60Hz for a couple years before this. Im one of those that can very easily feel difference in 60-144hz. All 3 are definitely at 144.

"Additionally, do you run the games in the 4K screen with the other two just showing the desktop (or a browser or whatever)? " - Just to clear it up: Im not using my 4K monitor anymore. I switched it for a 1440p 144hz. But yes, my 1440p monitor runs the games, and on my left monitor i have hardware monitor and a few other things, and the right monitor i basically use for Discord.

Hope that helps!
Yes, it does help.

Having multiple screens has an implicit GPU performance penalty in all video cards. And, historically, nVidia cards have coped with this via driver options. In your driver options you should have a section dedicated to performance option and in there one particular option relates to multi-monitor setups. See what you have there and see if it makes any difference for you changing it. This is the option:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDKABeVisIY

To make sure your monitors are running in 144Hz, you need to check through Windows itself: https://www.howtogeek.com/267650/ho...44hz-monitor-use-its-advertised-refresh-rate/

Toy a bit with those and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers!

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Yes, it does help.

Having multiple screens has an implicit GPU performance penalty in all video cards. And, historically, nVidia cards have coped with this via driver options. In your driver options you should have a section dedicated to performance option and in there one particular option relates to multi-monitor setups. See what you have there and see if it makes any difference for you changing it. This is the option:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDKABeVisIY

To make sure your monitors are running in 144Hz, you need to check through Windows itself: https://www.howtogeek.com/267650/ho...44hz-monitor-use-its-advertised-refresh-rate/

Toy a bit with those and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers!

Did everything as said in that video, except my NVidia control panel does not have the multi-display setting. It just isnt there.

Here are monitor settings displayed in windows: View: https://i.imgur.com/oUY0yAW.png

I tried Rust again after changing all the settings he did in the video, and still using 60% GPU and getting 80-100 fps

Edit: However i did find an option called "monitor technology" which was set to G-Sync, and i changed it to "Fixed refresh", since my display doesnt support G-Sync, but it doesnt seem to do anything.

That's interesting... 143Hz in the third monitor. Why is it being run in different refresh rate? Can you disable that monitor and see how it behaves?

EDIT: Oh, that's the 1440p one... Then something funny is happening. What cables are you using for each?

Cheers!

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
That's interesting... 143Hz in the third monitor. Why is it being run in different refresh rate? Can you disable that monitor and see how it behaves?

EDIT: Oh, that's the 1440p one... Then something funny is happening. What cables are you using for each?

Cheers!

Yeah i saw it said 143. Dont you think its just displayed wrong? NVidia control panel says 144 like the other 2.
All 3 monitors are plugged in via DisplayPorts

Yeah i saw it said 143. Dont you think its just displayed wrong? NVidia control panel says 144 like the other 2.
All 3 monitors are plugged in via DisplayPorts
Since you're using Display Port for all of them, that should be the safest... Why don't you try one thing: Manually set the 1440p to 144Hz in the Windows Monitor config thingy, then set the 1080p ones to 60Hz and try again. I just want to discard that, having all 3 monitors at 144Hz is not posing a big performance penalty to the 2080ti.

Cheers!

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Since you're using Display Port for all of them, that should be the safest... Why don't you try one thing: Manually set the 1440p to 144Hz in the Windows Monitor config thingy, then set the 1080p ones to 60Hz and try again. I just want to discard that, having all 3 monitors at 144Hz is not posing a big performance penalty to the 2080ti.

Cheers!

Tried only having main display at 144hz, same result, 60% GPU usage and 80-120 fps.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with performance, because as i said, when i put the game on the lowest settings, i get the exact same fps. 60% usage and 80-120 fps.

Tried only having main display at 144hz, same result, 60% GPU usage and 80-120 fps.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with performance, because as i said, when i put the game on the lowest settings, i get the exact same fps. 60% usage and 80-120 fps.
Ok. It's fine; I just wanted to make sure I'm not taking anything obvious for granted and play around with settings like these helps diagnose "the little things" that could hamper performance.

Have you researched a bit on the titles you're playing if they come with a "console" cap? A lot of games have internal FPS caps because... Consoles and ports. And I can't remember if nVidia also has frame control rates. Can you see any FPS caps or performance caps in the drivers?

Cheers!

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Ok. It's fine; I just wanted to make sure I'm not taking anything obvious for granted and play around with settings like these helps diagnose "the little things" that could hamper performance.

Have you researched a bit on the titles you're playing if they come with a "console" cap? A lot of games have internal FPS caps because... Consoles and ports. And I can't remember if nVidia also has frame control rates. Can you see any FPS caps or performance caps in the drivers?

Cheers!

Rust is a PC exclusive, it has console commands for limiting FPS, and i limited it to 144. Sea of Thieves is PC/Xbox, but has ingame settings to cap frames at 30/60/120/144, so it set it to 144 and turned VSync off.

I've looked around in Nvidia control panel and cant really see anything related to fps or performance caps.
Looked around in GeForce Experience too and cant see anything related it to it either.

At this point I'm thinking i might have to reinstall windows or something to see if that works. The thing is i dont have that great internet so its gonna take a good few days to redownload all my games :C

Another thing i forgot to mention tho: Im using MSI Dragon Center to overclock my GPU and control my fans in my system. It worked fine when i first got it, but i've noticed it has a memory leak. When PC has been on for extended periods of time Dragon Center starts using upwards of 3-4GBs of ram. Its easily resolved by closing and reopening though. Im just thinking, if MSI cant even fix a memory leak in their program, could Dragon Center be responsible for this weird performance stuff?
Getting rid of Dragon Center is not really an option for me either though, as its the only program i can use to control my fans. If i dont lower them they sound like jet engines. Speedfan doesnt work with my motherboard, so afaik Dragon Center is the only program i could find to control my fans.

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Ok so i just benchmarked in Unigine Heaven, and my GPU usage is 98% in that. The first time i ran it, it actually crashed im guessing because the overclocks were too high. Those settings worked with my 4K monitor, tested them very heavily and they were stable, but i guess its different for a 1440p monitor. So i dropped the overclocks a bit and its stable again. Got a 107 fps average on 1440p ultra. Is that were you would expect a 2080TI to perform?

thxcobra

Reputable
Jan 30, 2018
Are your power settings set to high performance in windows 10 control panel?
Do you have two dedicated PSU cables going from the power supply to the graphics card? Do not use one cable that has two PCI-E plugs on the other end. Power to the graphics card will be restricted.

I have 3. The 2080TI i got uses 2 8-pin power cables and 1 6-pin power cable. Both of the cables have 2 plugs at the end. Im using both of the 8pin and obviously only one from the six pin. May i ask where you got the info that power will be restricted with cables that have 2 plugs at the end? These are the only cables that were included in my Corsair powersupply, and i doubt they would include those if it restricts power to the GPU.

I have 3. The 2080TI i got uses 2 8-pin power cables and 1 6-pin power cable. Both of the cables have 2 plugs at the end. Im using both of the 8pin and obviously only one from the six pin. May i ask where you got the info that power will be restricted with cables that have 2 plugs at the end? These are the only cables that were included in my Corsair powersupply, and i doubt they would include those if it restricts power to the GPU.
You can use those cables, just have three of them so you have a total of three cables plugging into the power supply.

Ghost-2-Ghost

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I have the exact same problem as you but its not in Rust, its in CSGO my FPS are very inconsistens and extremly laggy!
I only have two Monitors one running at 160Hz and one running at 144Hz.
I experienced some very weird behaviour but managed to fix it. Still my FPS are around 200 but drop a lot of times under 100. I ran a 1080ti before on my setup and this never happened.
Have you managed to fix your problem?

I have the exact same problem as you but its not in Rust, its in CSGO my FPS are very inconsistens and extremly laggy!
I only have two Monitors one running at 160Hz and one running at 144Hz.
I experienced some very weird behaviour but managed to fix it. Still my FPS are around 200 but drop a lot of times under 100. I ran a 1080ti before on my setup and this never happened.
Have you managed to fix your problem?
Try each monitor separately to see if performance varies.