RTX 2080ti or GTX1080ti

Feb 2, 2019
Im building a new gamming pc, and am trying to decide between a 1080ti or a 2080ti. I would like to be able to play games at max detail with high frame rates. I just want to know if more games in the future will suport the RTX Ray tracing, and if it would help to play the games at higher frame rates

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Ok, you want to play in max details and max frame rates. But in what resolution?

If you want to do that in 4k, than definitely the RTX 2080ti. In WQHD 1440p I would go with the RTX 2080. It is about 5% faster than the GTX1080ti and will have the RTX and Tensor features. If you plan to play in Full HD 1080, I would go with other cards all togther because it would be overkill. In that case I would look at the RTX 2060 (if you want ray tracing) or the GTX1660Ti or Radeon RX580/RX590 (if you don't want ray tracing).

Upcoming games with Ray Tracing: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus
Upcoming games with Tensor DLSS: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Anthem

many more games are announced but that will be the ones that will be available very soon with those features.

if money isnt a question, get the 2080ti, its a faster card although kinda silly for 1080p.

In regards to ray tracing and DLSS, nobody knows, it all depends on if developers use the technology.

RTX2080 performs similar to a 1080ti but includes the tech of RTX, might be worth looking into....

mjbn1977

Distinguished

I was thinking the same way about ray tracing before I actually experienced it in BF5 war stories. Especially on scene really blew me away. Its the war story in Norway where you at that large lake. When you walk over the frozen lake towards one of the villages with the colored (red, yellow, white houses) the reflections on the ice lake surface look absolutely stunning. So much so, that I played the same part of the game without ray tracing in order to compare. The difference is very drastic. I know, real-time ray tracing is a new technology that is still doing its first steps, but if that is a glimpse into what will be possible, I really can't wait for games to be rendered completely by ray tracing.