[SOLVED] RTX 2080TI VS 3090 - 3d modelling/rendering performance

Aug 16, 2020
I'm looking to upgrade my 2080ti to the 3090 but wanted to know whether i'm likely to see significant performance increases over the older card. I game, but more so I'm looking for even more grunt when using 3d modelling applications like Blender and C4D - quicker rendering times and the ability to display and pan around complex model set ups without stuttering - the 2080ti already does a good job of this but will the 3090 with its increased CUDA core count offer significantly faster speeds? Also the upgrade in VRAM and PCIE 4.0 eill this have an impact? My motherboard supports PCIE 4.0.

PC specs

RYZEN 3900x

X570 Aorus Xtreme motherboard

64GB G.SKILL 3600MHZ ram

970 EVO SSD

750w Gold rated PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I'd still wait for reviews but with certainty the 3090 will perform significant better than the 2080ti. Just the larger VRAM alone should really help with rendering, since you usually have to load all data that you render completely in the VRAM. Therefore 24GB is definitely better than 11GB when it comes to 3d rendering. And that unlike gaming, where the 24GB are total useless overkill. And I doubt that this will even change in the next couple of years(unless we suddenly all switch to 8k tv andmonitorsand this will become the gaming standard, what I really doubt).

The significantly higher cuda core count will for sure lead to shorter rendering times. I even suspect that the higher cuda core count will actually scale better with...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yes, I'd still wait for reviews but with certainty the 3090 will perform significant better than the 2080ti. Just the larger VRAM alone should really help with rendering, since you usually have to load all data that you render completely in the VRAM. Therefore 24GB is definitely better than 11GB when it comes to 3d rendering. And that unlike gaming, where the 24GB are total useless overkill. And I doubt that this will even change in the next couple of years(unless we suddenly all switch to 8k tv andmonitorsand this will become the gaming standard, what I really doubt).

The significantly higher cuda core count will for sure lead to shorter rendering times. I even suspect that the higher cuda core count will actually scale better with 3d modelling/rendering applications than with games.

The question would be if the ~$1600 investment would be worth it for you, since you already have the 2080ti. It really depends on what you are doing and how much time you will actually save. If you can save enough time which will make you more money, sure. But if you a hobbyist than it depends on how much money you are willing to spend for you hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMOG81
Solution