Question RTX 30 series, is it worth a prebuilt?

kubaaqr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Hello guys, I am looking to upgrade my PC, however I have no idea when the GPU prices are going to be back down, (let alone in stock) for me to finally upgrade it. I have two questions:
  1. When do you think the gpu prices are going to be back to msrp, or are there some at msrp but you just have to be good at hunting them when they restock?
  2. Would it just be better to buy a prebuilt since they're more likely to have gpu's at msrp price?

I don't really know what to do:/ I don't want to give my money to scalpers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. I don't have a crystal ball so can't see the future.
  2. if you were to buy a pre built for that purpose, I wouldn't buy one from a big OEM as the ones dell put in their PC are low quality no name RTX cards that aren't ideal. Almost like they know its why people are buying their PC

Reactions: kubaaqr

kubaaqr

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
  1. I don't have a crystal ball so can't see the future.
  2. if you were to buy a pre built for that purpose, I wouldn't buy one from a big OEM as the ones dell put in their PC are low quality no name RTX cards that aren't ideal. Almost like they know its why people are buying their PC
I see, Thank you!

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I have (3) 3080s all from prebuilts that I got on great sales $2k delivered 2 Cyberpower amd 1 iBuypower. I ended up with 3 different models.
Gigabyte gaming oc
Asus Tuf
EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Luckily I didnt end up with any lemons.
I did have to rebuild one pc with a new MB and anothr just reset the ram into the slot to boot.
I didnt dare send them back to wait a month for them to resolve it.

Possibly prebuilts will get cheaper in the soon future since it seems like GPUs are slowly getting cheaper on eBay

larsv8

Distinguished
Is it worth it? Depends. Can you tolerate your current system a while longer? Then no, its not worth it. Are you systemless? Might be worth it then. If so, check out Gamers Nexus youtube series on which prebuilts to actually get. They are different and some better than others.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Even when you buy a prebuilt, you're being overcharged for the GPU. Nobody is selling them for MSRP, because why should they? They know people are buying systems so they can scalp the GPU on ebay, so why should they give the scalpers all the profit?

Last edited:
Hello guys, I am looking to upgrade my PC, however I have no idea when the GPU prices are going to be back down, (let alone in stock) for me to finally upgrade it. I have two questions:
  1. When do you think the gpu prices are going to be back to msrp, or are there some at msrp but you just have to be good at hunting them when they restock?
  2. Would it just be better to buy a prebuilt since they're more likely to have gpu's at msrp price?

I don't really know what to do:/ I don't want to give my money to scalpers.
If you are in the UK I have seen some bundle deals on Scan which don't look too bad if you wanted the bundled components anyway

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Since the 30-series GPUs and PS5 are not finding their way into consumer's hands, games are not being released that can take advantage of them right now. The big-budget, ultra graphics focussed next-gen games are being pushed back until after the shortages are resolved. The only one that actually got released was Cyberpunk 2077, and that is a terrible game.

So at the moment there is no point updating to a 3070 or 3080 unless you REALLY want to play Cyberpunk 2077, which is a dreadful on-rails RPG and the graphics don't even look good. It's just poorly optimised so needs a very large GPU to play smoothly. And actually, on medium settings it plays ok on an RTX2070 or better.

So sure, if you want to play Cyberpunk 2077 at high settings SO BADLY that you can't wait a year or so for GPUs to go back to normal prices, then buy a prebuild since that's the only way to get a good GPU these days.

But if you mainly play indie games or older games that work perfectly fine on older hardware, then wait. You're not going to be missing out on the huge, graphics-heavy triple-A titles, since there aren't any coming out this year, and probably won't be any coming out next year either.

Jul 3, 2021
Personally, I’d wait. I’m already starting to see some gpus pop up online. Unfortunately, they’re above msrp, but they’re there. Granted they’re not 3000 or 2000, but there’s hope. Plus, the China ban is helping. I’m expecting for gpus to go back to msrp by late fall.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
You CAN find prebuilts that are at or close to MSRP for the parts inside, but its not without combining sales and promocodes that it is possible
I got a Cyberpower 3080 prebuilt with EVGA ftw3 ultra 16gb rgb Tforce 1tb WD M.2 I5-11600 Gigabyte b550mb and gigabyte 800 watt pus for $1900

TRENDING THREADS