[SOLVED] RTX 3000 Series Pricing Rumors

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Do we believe the rumors on the RTX 3000 series being significant upgrades from the RTX 2000 series while costing the same or less?

I am about to pull the trigger on an RTX 2070 Super and am given pause by these rumors.

Solution
If your current GPU is doing okay for now, I figure it couldn't hurt to wait. At the very least, to see if the March announcement happens.

Honestly, it's EXTREMELY hard to predict anything, since rumors are all we have, along with maybe minimal statements from Nvidia which I'm sure are carefully crafted.

Right now, I'm not even sure that it's going to be announced in March.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If your current GPU is doing okay for now, I figure it couldn't hurt to wait. At the very least, to see if the March announcement happens.

Honestly, it's EXTREMELY hard to predict anything, since rumors are all we have, along with maybe minimal statements from Nvidia which I'm sure are carefully crafted.

Reactions: AngelTech
Solution

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv

That's a good point.

I'm looking at the current RTX line because the Turing architecture is supposed to be very good for stream encoding, and I don't have, nor do I want to have, a 2 PC system for streaming. So my other big question about the new line is, will the 3000 series Ampere architecture be as good at NVENC stream encoding as the 2000 series Turing architecture is?

I don't think they've announced anything on that, so maybe my only choice is to wait.

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Is it satisfying your needs?
Yes and no. I mean, it does fair enough. I can play the things I want to at varying settings. It is bare minimum for my Oculus Rift S, and I could feel that the first time I booted it up. I mostly stream from console right now, so I've been okay, but I'd like to get more into streaming PC games, and for that, I need something more powerful.

So is my current GPU everything I want? No. But can I afford to wait a few months, if it will be worthwhile? Yes, probably.

Reactions: King_V
Yes and no. I mean, it does fair enough. I can play the things I want to at varying settings. It is bare minimum for my Oculus Rift S, and I could feel that the first time I booted it up. I mostly stream from console right now, so I've been okay, but I'd like to get more into streaming PC games, and for that, I need something more powerful.

So is my current GPU everything I want? No. But can I afford to wait a few months, if it will be worthwhile? Yes, probably.
Yeah it'll be worth it to wait most likely.

Go ahead and buy your 2070 super.
It will be a nice boost in graphics performance.
I might pick a EVGA unit just in case you might want to use their free 90 day upgrade option.
Check the evga web site for details.

New graphics cards come out all the time.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

One reason to launch a new card series is if the manufacturing cost is lower.
That does not mean that Nvidia or amd will give them away; they will sell for what the market will bear.
If a top end card launches that is stronger than anything else available, you can be sure that it will fetch a very high price.
New function like ray tracing is another reason for a new series.

By and large, you get what you pay for at every price point.