Question RTX 3050 and oldish DELL Workstation (T3600)

Oct 22, 2022
Hi all,

I am considering putting a RTX 3050 inside my oldish workstation. I plan to use it for CUDA rendering in Blender, so I am not afraid that the CPU (E5-1650 v1) would bottleneck too much.
What I am worried about is the power. I have a 635W PSU that has two 6-pin connectors coming from the VGA2 slot. (the VGA2 is actually a single 8-pin female, split with cables to 2x6-pin male). The card has a single 8-pin input.

I cannot find a proper 8-pin male to 8-pin male power cable (plus I am not sure dell internal connectors are standard ones in terms of pinout etc)
So I am thinking if the best solution is a 2x6-pin to 8-pin converter (should be able to find those).
The card itself is 130TDP (similar to the CPU) - so I guess should be ok ?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi all,

I am considering putting a RTX 3050 inside my oldish workstation. I plan to use it for CUDA rendering in Blender, so I am not afraid that the CPU (E5-1650 v1) would bottleneck too much.
What I am worried about is the power. I have a 635W PSU that has two 6-pin connectors coming from the VGA2 slot. (the VGA2 is actually a single 8-pin female, split with cables to 2x6-pin male). The card has a single 8-pin input.

I cannot find a proper 8-pin male to 8-pin male power cable (plus I am not sure dell internal connectors are standard ones in terms of pinout etc)
So I am thinking if the best solution is a 2x6-pin to 8-pin converter (should be able to find those).
The card itself is 130TDP (similar to the CPU) - so I guess should be ok ?

that should still be a decent combination. I suggest just buying a new PSU with the proper connectors for the 3050, instead of using a converter. The system would also feel safer using a new PSU instead of a rather old one.

be warned. Using a newer series GPU with a very old system is a gamble whether it work or not. I have been lucky to get a 2600k to work well with a 1050ti, and a Q9500 to work just fine with a 1650 GDDR6. But have also seen a few threads here where people had problems. Also own a 3050, it's a fine gpu, should serve you well if you could make it work.

Oct 22, 2022
that should still be a decent combination. I suggest just buying a new PSU with the proper connectors for the 3050, instead of using a converter. The system would also feel safer using a new PSU instead of a rather old one.

be warned. Using a newer series GPU with a very old system is a gamble whether it work or not. I have been lucky to get a 2600k to work well with a 1050ti, and a Q9500 to work just fine with a 1650 GDDR6. But have also seen a few threads here where people had problems. Also own a 3050, it's a fine gpu, should serve you well if you could make it work.

Thanks, I will have to test. As long as it won't burn I should be able to return it as a last resort :) Was thinking about 1650 as well, but it has half VRAM - which is a great difference for rendering 3D scenes in Blender.

I'd rather not change the PSU a the moment though. (probably Dell has some custom connectors that can be hard to find where I live. Had the same issue when replacing the MoBo). So I guess I will take a risk with the old one. (I think Dell puts decent quality parts in those workstations :)

Oct 22, 2022
Ok, so the card came today. In case anybody would have the same dilemma - it works out of the box :)
No BIOS tinkiering, just had to update the NVIDIA drivers.

I did not do any long term stress tests yet, but did some short renderings in Blender pushing the GPU to almost 100% and didn't see any issues.

Thanks for all the comments :)