Question RTX 3050 Laptop GPU Usage 100% but it doesn't draw max power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2022
I just bought this ACER Nitro 5 AN51-57 with an RTX 3050(75W). For some reason, every time I play the card will utilize 90-100% of its performance but the power draw seems to be capped to only 45-50ish Watt. I know the card could draw up to75W and other benchmark videos from youtube that I saw always draw the power up to 60-75W. What should I do to fix this issue?

I didn't really see a performance difference in terms of FPS in some games, but in other game, the FPS just doesn't match the benchmark videos that I saw, sometimes it's about 3-5 FPS less than what I should get, judging from the benchmark videos

My specs:

Intel Core i5-11400H
RTX 3050 (75W)}
1x8 DDR4 3200-1x16 DDR4 3200 (For some reason, both runs at a speed of 2933 Mhz)
Nvidia Driver ver 511.79

Could the RAM be the culprit? i bought a different brand than the one that come from the box, that's why the ram didn't run at 3200mhz :(

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I'm not familiar with your model, but if your laptop has a performance mode, turn that on.

Are you using factory-stock power supply? A lower-rated power supply will limit performance.

While your RAM setup is inadvisable for something brand new, AFAIK that should not have been relevant for this problem in particular.

Get GPU-Z or HWiNFO and check perfcap reason for your graphic card.

Mar 2, 2022
I'm not familiar with your model, but if your laptop has a performance mode, turn that on.

Are you using factory-stock power supply? A lower-rated power supply will limit performance.

While your RAM setup is inadvisable for something brand new, AFAIK that should not have been relevant for this problem in particular.

Get GPU-Z or HWiNFO and check perfcap reason for your graphic card.
After monitoring with GPU-Z while gaming, the Perfcap that I'm getting are: Pwr, and V.rel

The GPU power draw never exceed 60watt or sometimes 45 watt, any ideas? other videos that I watch on youtube of the same laptop model sometimes goes higher than 75watt

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
After monitoring with GPU-Z while gaming, the Perfcap that I'm getting are: Pwr, and V.rel

The GPU power draw never exceed 60watt or sometimes 45 watt, any ideas? other videos that I watch on youtube of the same laptop model sometimes goes higher than 75watt
Pwr is designed power limit, while V.rel is reliability voltage which I think meant insufficient power supply or VRM. Make sure you had the same model rated for the same 75W, and make sure you are using your stock power supply.

A few things you can try in rough order of increasing invasiveness:

Clean reinstall graphics driver.

Upgrade your laptop's BIOS to the latest version. Follow your manufacturer's guidance on the latter as it may brick your laptop if done wrong. Don't do this and the next one if you don't feel entirely confident - I will not be held accountable to any damage, loss, or injury that may result.

Remove that 16GB add-on RAM if possible and will not void your warranty, as while it's unlikely to be relevant, it is another uncontrolled variable. Follow all procedures and precaution regarding disassembly and ESD protection.

If none of those helped and it's not going above 60W in any circumstances including things like FurMark stress test, then I'm afraid it's time to make use of that warranty.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
I had a similar issue with my Lenovo legion 5 3060(130W). When I use hybrid mode (optimus), my GPU wasn't consuming even 90W. Then When I disabled the Hybrid mode, It started showing me 130W.

My question is, the benchmarks you are telling me are done using external Monitor? Cause since the Acer Nitro doesn't support mux, it always renders through the iGPU. So, you can get few more FPS if you connect your laptop to an external monitor. Then it should consume the rated 75W else, it is a defected.

Reactions: JWNoctis
Status
Not open for further replies.