Question Rtx 3060, 3060ti, 4060, or 4060ti 8 or 16... which to choose?

JameyF

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I've been reading similar questions, which seem to be asked ad nauseum, so please forgive me asking basically the same thing yet again..

I'm running a Ryzen 5 7600x with 32g memory, and am saving towards a new gpu as I've currently got my old 1660 in it.

I mostly play older games like Conan Exiles, Total War Rome and Warhammer, occasionally Mechwarrior online. I plan to pick up Baldurs Gate 3 but I hear it's not very graphically demanding. Of course, I'd like to have the option of playing some future AAA game if possible but that it not a high priority.

RTX 4060 is only marginally more expensive than the 3060 here.
Likewise, the 4060ti with 8gb costs basically the same as a 3060ti.
The 4060ti 16gb is a bit more than I'd like to pay but an extra month or two of saving would not be unbearable. Although GPU prices do seem to be back on an upswing here which could keep it forever just out of reach.

One final concern is that my new rig was having some issues, which seem resolved, but there is always the possibility that whatever card I get will end up in my old rig which is a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16gb.

Cheers,

Solution
At the budget that you have available I would recommend the AMD cards (7700XT / 7800XT) over the nvidia ones you mentioned. The performance in the low to mid range nvidia cards this generation are not great. The nvidia 4070 is a good card, especially with the recent discounts but it is may be out of your price range. This is really the only nvidia card I would recommend this generation unless money was not a concern.

AMD cards are pretty solid nowdays. Performance is good on a number of models and driver issues have been a thing of the past for a while now.

JameyF

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
What resolution monitor are you using?
What model PSU are you using?

Your budget seems to be in $300 to $500 range. Is that correct?
Have you checked AMD alternatives? RX 7700XT, RX 7800XT ?
My monitor is 1080p, but I may upgrade to 1440 in the mid future. My PSU is a SilverStone ET750. $300-400 is probably more like it, but I'm working in Japanese Yen so I could be off...
I haven't really been considering AMD gpus since, oh about 5 or 6 years back when I had some black screen issue with my R270 or whichever card it was... If there was one that was strongly recommended, however, and those black screens are no longer a common issue, I would not be adverse to considering it. Particularly since the rest of the system is AMD...

Cheers,

Last edited:

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
At the budget that you have available I would recommend the AMD cards (7700XT / 7800XT) over the nvidia ones you mentioned. The performance in the low to mid range nvidia cards this generation are not great. The nvidia 4070 is a good card, especially with the recent discounts but it is may be out of your price range. This is really the only nvidia card I would recommend this generation unless money was not a concern.

AMD cards are pretty solid nowdays. Performance is good on a number of models and driver issues have been a thing of the past for a while now.

Reactions: JameyF
Solution

JameyF

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015

Those do look quite nice. I've been watching some YouTube comparison videos.
Sadly, with the weak yen, both of those are a bit out of my price range.

I've slowly narrowed my focus on the rx7600, rtx 3060ti, or rtx4060 (not ti). All of which seem an improvement over my rtx2060.

But if the general consensus is that the 7700xt/7800xt is significantly better, maybe I'll just be patient and wait until I can grab one of those.
The rtx2060 in my old rig is still serving me well enough 😉

Do you think my 750w psu will be ok with a 7700xt and the ryzen5 7600x? Haha I've been mildly traumatized by a faulty psu many years back...

Last edited:

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
It is always a difficult one when upgrading but personally I always believe in waiting a little longer and saving a little more if there is nothing available that will significantly upgrade what I currently have. A GPU like 4060ti or 7600 will give a boost in performance but I don't feel that it will be that long lived. It will also not be a huge uplift in the short term.

Whilst a 2060 is showing its age you stated that you play a number of older games. My son plays BG3 on his 1070ti and it runs fine at 1080p. I would suggest that you hold on a little longer and get enough funds for the next tier up of GPU from the ones you mentioned.

How long would you need to save before you can get enough to go to a 4070 / 7800xt level?

A 750W power supply in principle would be enough but it would depend on the make and model, in addition to the age. Can you state what PSU you have and how old it is?

JameyF

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
It is always a difficult one when upgrading but personally I always believe in waiting a little longer and saving a little more if there is nothing available that will significantly upgrade what I currently have. A GPU like 4060ti or 7600 will give a boost in performance but I don't feel that it will be that long lived. It will also not be a huge uplift in the short term.

Whilst a 2060 is showing its age you stated that you play a number of older games. My son plays BG3 on his 1070ti and it runs fine at 1080p. I would suggest that you hold on a little longer and get enough funds for the next tier up of GPU from the ones you mentioned.

How long would you need to save before you can get enough to go to a 4070 / 7800xt level?

A 750W power supply in principle would be enough but it would depend on the make and model, in addition to the age. Can you state what PSU you have and how old it is?
I'm using a Silverstone ET750-hg, and it's new. Sorry if I didn't clearly explain. I've built a new rig, but was planning to use my year old rtx2060 in it until I could afford to upgrade that.
At the moment, I'm still running the old card in my old rig because, although seemingly resolved, the new rig was suffering from many bsods and I got tired of swapping the GPU in and out repeatedly while troubleshooting.

It seems stable enough (with an even older 1660 at the moment) so I may swap in the newer card and, as you suggest, wait a bit for a new GPU. But wanted to give it a bit more testing in games before committing to the switch.

I could potentially grab an 7700 early in the new year. Assuming prices hold more or less steady. The 7800 would be more like late spring.
New year, new GPU? That was my original plan when building the new rig anyway.