News RTX 3060 Drops From First Place in Latest Steam Hardware Survey

D

Deleted member 2838871

Steam's Hardware survey has been fixed, putting the GTX 1650 back in 1st place and GTX 1060 in 2nd.

Blame Nvidia.

If the 4090 was $699 like the 1080 Ti was back in the day all those 1080p gamers would be 4K gamers.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

InvalidError

Titan
Blame Nvidia.

If the 4090 was $699 like the 1080 Ti was back in the day all those 1080p gamers would be 4K gamers.
Nah, quite sure there is a large number of people unwilling to pay more than ~$300 for a GPU no matter how great it might be. About 50% of people on the Steam survey use GPUs worth less than $300, which means they either spent less than $300 or cannot be bothered to upgrade to something new at today's prices.

I personally don't care enough about gaming in general to bother spending much over $200 on a GPU.

The fact that this even happened just proves how untrustworthy the Steam survey is. We're supposed to believe that a video card that came out ~2 years ago is more popular than cards that have been around for years? Yeah, ok.

I've tried several times to take the Steam survey and it never works. I've put in a support ticket to Valve and they said "We're aware of the issue and we're working to fix it."

Meanwhile, I've been sporadically trying to get it to work for over a decade with three different motherboards, five different CPUs and four different video cards.

With shoddy implementation like that, I can't believe that anyone bothers paying attention to it.

Blame Nvidia.

Well, no, not all of them, but certainly far more than there are. Then of course, we could add the fact that if the RTX 4090 was $699, then the RTX 4080 and RX 7900 XTX would also be affordable and that would increase the number of 4K gamers even more.

The only question would be about how many people had 4K displays to use. I just use my 4K TV but not everyone wants to do that. :giggle:

I imagine most of the 1650 people are laptop owners. The 1650 was a popular laptop configuration build during the height of the pandemic and during the mining craze. A lot of kids I know of got laptops during Covid for remote school and these laptops were in the sweet spot of $600-$800. Now they're using them to play games.

Reactions: artk2219

InvalidError

Titan
I imagine most of the 1650 people are laptop owners. The 1650 was a popular laptop configuration build during the height of the pandemic and during the mining craze. A lot of kids I know of got laptops during Covid for remote school and these laptops were in the sweet spot of $600-$800. Now they're using them to play games.
During covid, the 1650 and other 4GB GPUs were the only things people could readily buy for PCs since you cannot mine ETH on those. Also, the 1650 got a lukewarm initial reception for how little performance it brought at the 1050Ti's price point, which meant plenty of stock floating around until it became the only thing people could get for a reasonable price.

I'm not surprised at all that the 1650 floated to the top.

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
I personally don't care enough about gaming in general to bother spending much over $200 on a GPU.
Whereas, I play a game or two - Diablo III currently, and I paid AU$2700 for my GPU, and I'm ready for a new one - and I don't use Steam; well not since I sold my LAN center in 2000.

Last edited: