Question RTX 3060 has gremlins, what do I do? (stopped displaying in one PC, but works fine in another PC)

Aug 29, 2024
Current setup:

ASROCK B550m-itx ac (latest BIOS 3.40)
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 2x 12GB (installed in a vertical mount, which I've bypassed once just in case)
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 CL15
EVGA 600W GD
Win11 Home 22631.4112

So, when we first purchased this PC from CyberPower, everything was hunky-dory. Just under a year from the start date, I started having an issue where the screen would shut off for anywhere from a few seconds to 5 minutes, with the best scenarios having no after effects and the worst ending in an impromptu reboot. One day, this rebooted to a state where I could hear the computer running, going through the startup sounds and all, but no picture. The CPU above doesn't have integrated graphics, and while the GPU had power and was spinning its fans, none of the ports were displaying anything. I sent my PC back to CyberPower, since it was under warranty, they removed and reseated everything, and it worked fine, sooooo back she came.

Fast forward a year, and the visuals start shutting off and/or shutting my PC down. It mostly would only happen when the computer was under load, as I never had it happen when the PC was sitting idle, but the exactly *what* of use varied, from maybe running Star Citizen at various settings to running Discord video chats along side of Roll20's dynamic lighting in its VTT. I tried to get into my BIOS to check things out, but when I restarted my PC to try and get in to the UEFI, it was just a black screen...but I could still pick the choices there, as I could exit to Windows the same way you would from the BIOS. Eventually, though, it got to the point where I couldn't hardly use the computer because it was blanking out or rebooting so much, so I attempted to flash update the BIOS but failed to be able to see what I was doing. I did several clean installs of Windows across the last few years, some of which took multiple days to complete as you couldn't see what was happening or it would reboot to a black screen during it (but not in the way Windows does when it does the "Windows may restart a few times" kind of way). The PC also started getting to a point where, if you left it on the black screen for anywhere from 5-45 minutes, the screen would technically flash...but it was flashing between black (no signal) to black (when your leds project black image), so it was the oddest and darkest strobe I've seen.

Now, to make this even *weirder*. I have an older PC here with a Phenom II Black 1090T and a GTX 970 in it that I built around 2006 (and added the 970 in 2012 when those came out) andI started swapping parts around, just in case it was a physical hardware issue somewhere. I picked up an ASROCK Phantom Gaming-ITX/AX and swapped into and out of that to see if it helped, which it didn't. I swapped power supplies, no dice. I tried this 3070 I had been gifted about 2 months ago, and it also boots to a black screen. I stole the 970 from that old PC and boom...my current PC is up and running, as good as when we purchased it. On a whim, though, I put the 3060 in the OLD PC, to see what would happen, and it runs fine in that one? The 3070 does as well, which makes it even more strange for me. I've swapped the cards around several times, just to make sure it wasn't a seating issue, but only the 970 works in the modern PC.

I have a fully updated BIOS, I have the most up-to-date drivers for my graphics driver, I have ample power for all devices (in each of those configurations), the cables definitely work to distribute power under load and in statis, the ports all work, the cables all have been tested, and the monitors are all good. The only things I haven't fussed with thus far are the CPU and RAM themselves, other than some reseating (multiple times for both, when switching out the mobo).

Any of y'all know how to exorcise a computer?