Apr 14, 2022
Hi,

I would really appreciate some help and advice on this one!
I'm in the process of purchasing a used RTX 3060 ROG STRIX 12GB for a good price of £400!
The chap had very kindly driven over an hour to deliver the GPU to myself to which he knew I wanted to test the card on my rig before purchasing.

We had plugged the card in, it booted but did not work correctly, it went to a grey fuzzy screen.
We then plugged my graphics card back in, used DDU to remove previous installed driver for my old card which was a Gigabyte GTX 1660. We did actually use GeForce experience to install a new driver but windows did not correctly recognize the card and we realised it had installed the 1660 driver again. So we used DDU again to remove driver again (we were restarting each time too). We then rebooted and windows recognised the RTX 3060 as it was in device manager. So we re installed GeForce experience and downloaded the new driver for the 3060. (also to note we checked to perform clean install).

Here where it gets interesting because we rebooted and now it went back to doing the strange grey fussy screen.

The weird thing is that it seems to work fine when there was no driver installed but whenever you installed an NVidia driver it didn't work at all.
The seller has since taken the card home and re plugged it all back into his rig and has sent me photos of it all working fine.

My rig is a few months old, admittedly we checked the BIOS for the current BIOS version and it was from 2020. There is a later BIOS from 2022 which I can update too.
The seller of the card mentioned it could be the BIOS version, he said it could be my HDMI cable too if it is not a 4k HDMI.

Could somebody please shed some more light on the most possible culprit? Is this card a good idea to purchase at all?
I'm going to take my rig to his tomorrow to try and possibly update the BIOS or possibly try a previous driver to see if this rectifies the issue.

I appreciate your help.

Current Rig
Ryzen 2700X
B450 Tomahawk Max
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
GPU - Pending!
Samsung 980 M.2
Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Solution
Why would this be an issue for you? The actual recommended PSU for this card (RTX3060) is 550W. As long as it's a decent gold 550w PSU, (which the RMx is) then 550w is not an issue. The system wouldn't even draw 500w. With that said, a little headroom is always good, typically 20% over what you need as a guide. A 600/650w will give a little room for more power hungry GPU/CPU's down the line. A 650w is fine for the 3060ti too. Recommended for that GPU is 600w. A 750w is not needed. I'd add the caveat, that if there's a good 750w that costs a little more than a 650w version, then I'd go for higher wattage.

OP had RTX 3060 TI in there, and latter is 200W GPU, where Nvidia suggest minimum of 600W PSU,
nvidia...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here where it gets interesting because we rebooted and now it went back to doing the strange grey fussy screen.

Most likely, the driver chip on the GPU is toast.

Every GPU has to work without GPU drivers. Often, the resolution is much less what the GPU is capable of. This is there, so that you can actually see and install GPU drivers, to use the card fully. And once the drivers are installed, GPU uses the driver chip to operate.

There is no fixing of driver chip, and the GPU is essentially toast. Unless you use it without GPU drivers, that is.

he said it could be my HDMI cable too if it is not a 4k HDMI

That is BS. There is 0 requirement that GPU has to have 4K HDMI or 2K DP or any other specific cable connected to it, to work.

Good, known to work GPU, can be used with any cable, regardless the resolution. E.g 1080p HDMI, 4K DP, 8K DP; it doesn't matter which cable and reso. Woking GPU has to work in all combinations. And if it doesn't then GPU is faulty.

Is this card a good idea to purchase at all?

I'd avoid it. Especially due to the bogus claim of it needing only 4K HDMI cable to work. That specific GPU has 3x DisplayPort 1.4a connectors as well. So, those doesn't work either?
Specs: https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards...trix/rog-strix-rtx3060-o12g-gaming-model/spec

for a good price of £400!

Only good part of this GPU, is it's cheap price. And that is it.
Though, if it is too good to be true, it usually is. Or in other words; if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.

Apr 14, 2022
Thank you for all your help @Aeacus !

I went with a Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti instead. However, I am having an issue with when I install the latest 512.15 driver for the card (windows 11) from Nvidia it will black screen on boot, to which then I go into safe mode and roll the driver back it will work fine again.

I'm kind of guessing that this is some sort of driver/windows 11 compatibility issue and future driver releases may resolve this issue.

I'm not sure if other people have faced this issue yet and to which if there is a known fix.

Or is it possibly due to the fact I need to update the bios as it is running bios from 2020 and not the latest 2022 bios update?

Much appreciate any help!

(y)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It is a Corsair 550.

200W GPU running on 550W PSU, oh my...

Bare minimum for such power hungry GPU would be 650W unit, while i'd be comfortable with 750W unit instead.

While RMx is good quality unit, it doesn't output enough power to power all that.
Sure, it works on idle, but how about when you put the PC under heavy load. The component power draw can kill the PSU, which in turn, can kill everything it is connected to.

Or is it possibly due to the fact I need to update the bios as it is running bios from 2020 and not the latest 2022 bios update?

Highly unlikely. Also, it is well written in newer BIOS versions, what issues they fix, and for the most part, it is to do with CPU and/or RAM compatibility.

I went with a Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti instead. However, I am having an issue with when I install the latest 512.15 driver for the card (windows 11) from Nvidia it will black screen on boot, to which then I go into safe mode and roll the driver back it will work fine again.

Sounds like a bad driver version. I've had similar issues with my Nvidia GPUs as well, where latest GPU driver version doesn't want to work well and i have had to roll back a version or two. And once new version comes, i can skip the "bad" one. :)

Reactions: spentshells
However, I am having an issue with when I install the latest 512.15 driver for the card (windows 11) from Nvidia it will black screen on boot, to which then I go into safe mode and roll the driver back it will work fine again.
It is the second post in two days I saw where somebody experiences problems with 512.15 version so I guess something's not right with the driver.

Reactions: Aeacus
200W GPU running on 550W PSU, oh my...

Why would this be an issue for you? The actual recommended PSU for this card (RTX3060) is 550W. As long as it's a decent gold 550w PSU, (which the RMx is) then 550w is not an issue. The system wouldn't even draw 500w. With that said, a little headroom is always good, typically 20% over what you need as a guide. A 600/650w will give a little room for more power hungry GPU/CPU's down the line. A 650w is fine for the 3060ti too. Recommended for that GPU is 600w. A 750w is not needed. I'd add the caveat, that if there's a good 750w that costs a little more than a 650w version, then I'd go for higher wattage.

Also, it is well written in newer BIOS versions, what issues they fix, and for the most part, it is to do with CPU and/or RAM compatibility.

This isn't entirely true. A bios update can often solve other issues outside of CPU/Ram compatibility. For example, issues with some MSI mobo's having problems with certain RTX GPU models, can only be resolved by the bios update.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

OP had RTX 3060 TI in there, and latter is 200W GPU, where Nvidia suggest minimum of 600W PSU,
nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3060-3060ti/

So, get your facts straight, before you are going to downplay what others have said.

If OP would have RTX 3060, which he does not have, then, maybe, 550W unit would be enough for 170W GPU, but i'd be comfortable with 650W unit.

---

OP has R7 2700X, with alone is 105W. RTX 3060 Ti adds 200W and the rest of the system consumes ~150W. Making total ~455W. Now, you may use extra 20% as guideline but i use extra 100W as a guideline, since that encompasses CPU and GPU power spikes. Now, OC of CPU and GPU will increase their power draw quite a lot. For RTX 3060 Ti alone, it can draw ~280W (source in review).

With OC, headroom would be 200W over normal, or in this case, 750W PSU. Just to be safe. Without threading the needle, as you like to do it.

This isn't entirely true. A bios update can often solve other issues outside of CPU/Ram compatibility. For example, issues with some MSI mobo's having problems with certain RTX GPU models, can only be resolved by the bios update.

While it may, you also failed to state that when BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), MoBo will be bricked. And due to this high risk and only a guess of possible issue fix with BIOS update, i am not confident to suggest such a risky move to OP.

BIOS update is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

You may have enough funds to buy new MoBo, once the BIOS update fails and kills the MoBo, but that doesn't mean OP has the same funds available.

Solution
So, get your facts straight, before you are going to downplay what others have said.

My facts are correct. That they don't align with your comfort levels is irrelevant. I wasn't trying to downplay anything, I simply asked you a question!

Regarding bios updates, and the potential pit falls. Yes, if your system loses power during an update, that can obviously cause a bricked mobo. With that said, and as many AMD Ryzen owners will attest, updating the bios is common task made very easy by practically all mobo manufacturers. The earlier AGESA bios' had security flaws, so updating your bios was important. Change out your ram, and it's not working! Try bios update to fix before RMA'ing them. There are lots of reasons why it's good to have an up to date bios, asides form the aforementioned compatibility benefits.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what the OP will or won't do with OC'ing component etc. Ironically, you're happy for the OP to OC their system, but not update a bios? Don't figure! Both could hurt the machine if you follow that logic.

I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to be off topic too much.

(and no, I don't have lots of money to spend on hardware easily replaced!)

Good luck, peace out!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I wasn't trying to downplay anything, I simply asked you a question!

If you have something to ask from me, send me a PM. That's why those are there. You contemplating over my advice, does not help OP with their issue. All it does, is cluttering the topic. And you using RTX 3060, to fit your agenda, is not factually correct, since what OP had, was RTX 3060 TI.

As it stands currently, the most likely issue OP had, was bad driver version. And the topic is essentially concluded.

I'm in the process of purchasing a used RTX 3060 ROG STRIX 12GB

This is why I 'referenced' the 3060. originally. Not with any ill intent or to suit my agenda. But specifically because the OP listed it! I also referenced the 'recommended' PSU for both the 3060 and Ti. Simply to state the recommended PSU wattage from the manufacturer, and not a personal reference to how much makes me feel comfortable.

If you have something to ask from me, send me a PM. That's why those are there. You contemplating over my advice, does not help OP with their issue. All it does, is cluttering the topic. And you using RTX 3060, to fit your agenda, is not factually correct, since what OP had, was RTX 3060 TI.

We differ here. The info I posted is relevant to the thread, given it was pointed out that the OP's PSU might be insufficient (originally for the 3060 vanilla), which it wouldn't have been. (for the 3060ti, yes very possibly). Providing more info here in the forum is of much better use to the OP or perhaps others reading the thread as to what is recommended PSU wattage is, rather than personal preferences. Might save a few bucks that can be put to other hardware or something similar.

For the OP, I do indeed hope it's resolved with a driver update (hopefully potential easy fix). Or, dare I say it, a bios update if a driver update doesn't work. (slightly less easy fix).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
This is why I 'referenced' the 3060. originally. Not with any ill intent or to suit my agenda. But specifically because the OP listed it!

Yes. However, if you would've bothered to read what OP said next, you'd know that:

I went with a Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti instead.

:rolleyes:

Simply to state the recommended PSU wattage from the manufacturer

You cannot take the manufacturer's required system power at the face value. You actually have to look into, to what system the wattage is calculated for, and also look into what people have. E.g if someone has Threadripper Pro 3975wx CPU, will you also suggest them 550W unit if they have RTX 3060? :unsure:

Providing more info here in the forum is of much better use to the OP or perhaps others reading the thread as to what is recommended PSU wattage is, rather than personal preferences. Might save a few bucks that can be put to other hardware or something similar.

If you want to cheap out on PSU, to save few bucks, while threading the needle regarding wattage, go ahead, your money and your personal preference. I, in the other hand, am holding myself to higher standard and I don't give people suggestions based on cheapest price. Instead, I give my suggestions based on quality, reliability and safe wattage headroom.

---

And this is where i end it. I have entertained your claims long enough.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The RMx is a squeek at 550w but easily doable. You are looking at @ 230w spikes, 105w for cpu (high as 180w) and @ 75w for the rest of the pc on average. Grand total maxed out would be @ 500w± after OC, or closer to 400w, without OC, which puts gaming loads closer to the 350w-360w range. Easily doable.

Recommended wattage have to cover all the bases, from the craptastic CX-M to AXi class psus on average, so a better psu such as the RMx will be on the shorter side of recommended, 550w instead of 600w, wheras the CX-M would be better off at 650w.

Power isn't the issue, that I can see. Those cards only pull @ 10w at idle. It's entirely driver related. Whether that's an OS conflict, or bios conflict, even vbios, can't tell. OP stated he 'went with' didn't say new or used. It's also yet to be determined if it's a standard gpu or LHR version, which definitely wouldn't be used for mining as there's firmware conflicts preventing vbios from over-riding the hash rate. Although it's always possible that some idiot tried and bricked the vbios.

Recommended to DDR the current drivers and install one 2 versions prior.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Yes. However, if you would've bothered to read what OP said next, you'd know that:

'I went with a Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti instead. '

:rolleyes:

I already noted that in my first post, which you seem to conveniently miss out, and gave the recommended wattage for both GPU's (the 3060 and the 3060ti).

You cannot take the manufacturer's required system power at the face value. You actually have to look into, to what system the wattage is calculated for, and also look into what people have. E.g if someone has Threadripper Pro 3975wx CPU, will you also suggest them 550W unit if they have RTX 3060? :unsure:

That's the whole idea behind 'recommended' PSU wattage on GPU manufacturers websites. To guide you for choosing an appropriate PSU (in the case of a GPU purchase). Not to bump it up 200w 'just because'.

C'mon! Threadripper Pro! We are talking a 2700x here. A 105w CPU, and you throw a 280w CPU into the mix. Naturally the PSU suggestion for such a CPU would be much different (along with having a different set up )

If you want to cheap out on PSU, to save few bucks, while threading the needle regarding wattage, go ahead, your money and your personal preference. I, in the other hand, am holding myself to higher standard and I don't give people suggestions based on cheapest price. Instead, I give my suggestions based on quality, reliability and safe wattage headroom.

No one is cheaping out on a PSU. The OP's happens to be a quality one. I have a Corsair TXM650. I also have a 3060ti, and have absolutely no need for a 750w PSU. My system draws less than 450w at gaming load.

Last edited: