[SOLVED] rtx 3060 or 3060 ti

Mar 20, 2021
Hi, I currently have 1060 6gb on my pc and I'm planning to upgrade my gpu once 3060 or 3060 ti become available at normal prices. I have a few questions and I would appreciate if anyone could help me out.
  1. My CPU is i5 8400. I was wondering will it bottleneck 3060 ti? I'm only looking for 1080p 60fps because I don't plan on changing my monitor.
  2. My PSU is 580W 80plus Bronze certified. Is it enough for 3060 ti or do I need to upgrade my psu as well?
  3. Right now 3060 ti seems overkill for 1080p 60fps but I plan to use it for a couple of years so I hope it will be future proof. the prices of computer components are very high in my country and if getting a 3060 ti means that I have to change more than just my gpu then I'll just stick with 3060.

Solution
Gpu upgrade should be fine, power and cpu wise. Nvidia recommends 600w for the card + system but that includes a 10900k according to their fine print. You should be fine.

Regarding cpu bottleneck, well that depends on game and fps levels. Some games want more cores/threads (Hyperthreading helps in modern games) and high fps does elevate cpu usage having to pre-render each frame for the gpu and depending how cpu intensive a game is may require to restrict fps to relieve cpu resources.

Since you're Hz limited, then you can crank the graphics up further and avoid cpu fps bottleneck by a great deal. Around 60 should be fine in most games really. 100+ then yeah, cpu upgrade would be ideal.

3060Ti has more grunt, 20ish fps worth, to trade...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu upgrade should be fine, power and cpu wise. Nvidia recommends 600w for the card + system but that includes a 10900k according to their fine print. You should be fine.

Regarding cpu bottleneck, well that depends on game and fps levels. Some games want more cores/threads (Hyperthreading helps in modern games) and high fps does elevate cpu usage having to pre-render each frame for the gpu and depending how cpu intensive a game is may require to restrict fps to relieve cpu resources.

Since you're Hz limited, then you can crank the graphics up further and avoid cpu fps bottleneck by a great deal. Around 60 should be fine in most games really. 100+ then yeah, cpu upgrade would be ideal.

3060Ti has more grunt, 20ish fps worth, to trade (somewhat) for more eye candy. Id get that instead of the regular 3060.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elessar7
Solution
Mar 20, 2021

3060Ti has more grunt, 20ish fps worth, to trade (somewhat) for more eye candy. Id get that instead of the regular 3060.
Thanks for your reply. It was reassuring

Make and model of 580w Bronze 80+ power supply? Wattage and efficiency certification standard mean less than the quality of the components behind these figures in this context.

This could be 580w total watts, with only 430w being present on the 12v rail, where it matters. Once we know the above, people will be able to better advise you on whether it is wise to hang a 3060ti off it.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi, I currently have 1060 6gb on my pc and I'm planning to upgrade my gpu once 3060 or 3060 ti become available at normal prices. I have a few questions and I would appreciate if anyone could help me out.
  1. My CPU is i5 8400. I was wondering will it bottleneck 3060 ti? I'm only looking for 1080p 60fps because I don't plan on changing my monitor.
  2. My PSU is 580W 80plus Bronze certified. Is it enough for 3060 ti or do I need to upgrade my psu as well?
  3. Right now 3060 ti seems overkill for 1080p 60fps but I plan to use it for a couple of years so I hope it will be future proof. the prices of computer components are very high in my country and if getting a 3060 ti means that I have to change more than just my gpu then I'll just stick with 3060.
In my opinion you shouldn't think about it right now you are causing yourself unnecessary headache because price won't go normal at least for the next 6 months so when prices become REASONABLE come again and ask.

Mar 20, 2021
Make and model of 580w Bronze 80+ power supply? Wattage and efficiency certification standard mean less than the quality of the components behind these figures in this context.

This could be 580w total watts, with only 430w being present on the 12v rail, where it matters. Once we know the above, people will be able to better advise you on whether it is wise to hang a 3060ti off it.
Here is what's written on the PSU itself:
7744567_1583714601_165.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what's written on the PSU itself:
7744567_1583714601_165.jpg

Well I've never heard of the brand, but at least they're not lying about the total amount of power, the 580w is as advertised and present on the 12v rail.

It also claims to be a DC to DC unit, which is what modern graphics cards need. Honest opinion, it's certainly not a unit that is going to burn your house down, it's way better than some of the units people post in here.

I'd feel okayish about planning a power supply upgrade a few months down the line and running on this for the time being, but definitely with a new power supply a few months down the line in mind.

jtk2515

Distinguished
I bought my 1070 about 5 years ago and really wish I had gotten a 1080ti. I recently got a 6800xt because it was the only thing I could find at msrp for my new computer. I originally wanted a 3060ti but it cost about 200$ more then the 6800xt when I could find it in stock. I also still game in 1080p as I have 3 monitors I am not upgrading.

Cannt really give you a anwser but I wish I had gotten the 1080ti 5 years ago it was only 200$ more. Best of luck finding one. Cheers

Mar 20, 2021
Well I've never heard of the brand, but at least they're not lying about the total amount of power, the 580w is as advertised and present on the 12v rail.

It also claims to be a DC to DC unit, which is what modern graphics cards need. Honest opinion, it's certainly not a unit that is going to burn your house down, it's way better than some of the units people post in here.

I'd feel okayish about planning a power supply upgrade a few months down the line and running on this for the time being, but definitely with a new power supply a few months down the line in mind.
I see. Thanks for your reply.

Mar 20, 2021
I bought my 1070 about 5 years ago and really wish I had gotten a 1080ti. I recently got a 6800xt because it was the only thing I could find at msrp for my new computer. I originally wanted a 3060ti but it cost about 200$ more then the 6800xt when I could find it in stock. I also still game in 1080p as I have 3 monitors I am not upgrading.

Cannt really give you a anwser but I wish I had gotten the 1080ti 5 years ago it was only 200$ more. Best of luck finding one. Cheers
Thank you for your reply. I'll consider this when the time comes.