Question RTX 3060 Ti - horizontal stripes on the screen

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hello!

I bought 3 months ago an ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB GDDR6 256bit LHR (TUF-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2-GAMING).

30 days ago I wanted to open a new tab in Chrome while only browsing the internet, and then the computer froze, only the mouse could be moved, but it didn't seem to respond to anything, and then approx. it took about 7-8 seconds before the pc came out of this state. As soon as the freeze stopped, there were horizontal vibrating lines all over the screen. During the screen freezing it responded to the clicks, as it opened the new tab about 5 times, we just didn't see it because the screen was frozen.

When this happened I tested a lot of things, but the problem was not with the monitor, nor with the cable. PC restart didn't help at all. Even in the BIOS there were these lines.
Finally, turning off the PC, then unplugging the computer than plugging it back and starting it again solved the problem...

Then the same happened 30 days later (yesterday). The horizontal lines appeared again all over the screen also during browsing the internet.

It's hard to test this problem extensively, as it happens like once in a month so far. But I did some more testing and I figured out an another thing which can solve this problem: switching to DP cable from HDMI cable.

So I can tell you that 2 things can solve the problem:

1. Turning off the PC, unplugging the PC for a few seconds, then plugging it back again and start the PC.
OR
2. Using a displayport cable instead of the hdmi cable. (BUT as I mentioned above I tried with 3 different HDMI cabled, and also different monitor, so the problem is not woth the monitor or HDMI cable)

At this point I believe the problem is with the HDMI port of the videocard. But I am not sure.

My question is do you think that the problem is with the videocard? Or maybe with an other component? I have no idea how could I test this as it happens so rarely for now as I mentioned.

I want to be sure that tha faulty hardware is the videocard.

Extra infos:

My config:
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
VGA: the mentioned 3060 Ti
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-E
PSU: Cooler Master 750W MWE V2

Photos about the problem (sorry for not the best quality):
View: https://imgur.com/a/j5UZOff

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Since you get the lines showing up in bios it indicates you do have a hardware problem somewhere. What gpu did you replace with the 3060? Did you install drivers for the 3060? Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks located after an item line. You could try reseating the video card and reseating its power cord. Is the gpu brand new?

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Since you get the lines showing up in bios it indicates you do have a hardware problem somewhere. What gpu did you replace with the 3060? Did you install drivers for the 3060? Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks located after an item line. You could try reseating the video card and reseating its power cord. Is the gpu brand new?

Hi!

GPU is brand new. I already checked inside everything, also every cable when it first happened. This is a completely new PC, I didn't replace anything. Every part of this PC is brand new.

Every driver is installed and up-to-date.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Did you update the bios to that one recently? Did you clear CMOS afterwards? If not, try that.

When I try to reset the settings in the BIOS, it says a few things. But I think these things are set by the PC shop I ordered the computer. But I don't know If its a good idea to reset these settings. Here it is what it says when I press reset:
QrcwrUL.jpeg

But to tell the truth, I don't think the problem is software based. The question which hardware is faulty. But I think its somehow the HDMI port of the videocard. But I don't understand why the problem comes only like once in a month. Really frustrating :/

Last edited:

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Ok guys. Today the problem came up again, 1 hour ago. Now I didn't change the cable to DP cable, I didn't turn off the power then on, but I'll tried something new: I entered the bios and pressed a bios reset. So I restarted the machine, pressed F2, the bios started. At that time, the image was still striped. I pressed a reset (load default optimized settings) for it, and the popup appeared that are you sure to reset the following settings? (these are the settings I sent in the picture above) I pressed OK, do it. And see a miracle, when the machine restarted after reseting the bios settings, the stripes disappeared.

So maybe one of the changed bios settings could have caused the occassionally happening stripes. But then which setting does that? - Knowing that the problem is also solved by switching to a DP cable from HDMI cable, or by simply turning the power off then on again and turning the machine on again - while the bios settings are of course preserved in this case.

For now, we will use the machine with default bios settings, and then we'll see. Maybe the problem won't happen anymore with default bios settings.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Okay, it happened again with default bios settings :(

Next step is a memtest run. If it won't show any errors, I think I will just send back the videocard to fix or replace it.