Question RTX 3070 'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

cattecattecatte

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Hello all. First off, my hardware:

WIN11 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
650W PSU

Today I have made the gravest mistake and have updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest version, 531.68. I am now plagued with occasional black screens that result in two entries in the event viewer:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 900

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

A little background, I was struggling with this problem a while back when I first installed my current GPU. From what I can recall, what I did to fix this issue is to lower the Core Clock and/or Memory Clock in MSI Afterburner. It's been several months since I've had to deal with this problem so I don't exactly recall which of the two I ended up messing with, or if there was more that I had done. For whatever reason now though, this no longer works. I've tried lowering the power limit, core clock, and memory clock altogether with no success.

I can also force these black screens to occur by opening a program and clicking the icon in the taskbar over and over to minimize and bring it back up. (Microsoft office OneNote is very consistent with this). What I do notice when this occurs is that GPU clock and Memory Clock numbers spike to an absurdly high degree when the system recovers from the black screen. To be specific, GPU goes to 1890 MHz and memory goes to 6891 MHz during these spikes. Usually, they hover around 200, 400 MHz respectively when idle.

The things I've tried during my troubleshooting are to revert to older nvidia drivers. Sadly, I don't remember what the previous version I was using prior to my update this morning, but I've rolled back to drivers from December 2022 with no luck at fixing this. I've even uninstalled the drivers completely and had windows install whatever drivers it did upon a restart, but still no success. I should note that I could not replicate these black screens after the drivers were uninstalled. As mentioned before, also tried to mess with the values in MSI Afterburner, specifically the power limit, core, and memory clock meters.

Some other specifics I've noticed while troubleshooting is that if I disable the Windows animations related to minimizing and maximizing windows, I cannot get this to cause a black screen. Another specific case is that if I attempt to launch Monster Hunter Rise on steam, the game crashes on the first loading screen. However, if I hit alt+enter to window it, the game loads normally. I can even change the display settings back to fullscreen while in game with no issue.

I don't believe there's any issue with my hardware, as things have been working just fine for months before today when I updated these damn drivers. Its been suggested that my 650W PSU might be a little underpowered for what I have, and I'm looking to upgrade that sometime soon when I can get the money. But until I can do that, I just want my system to behave as it was prior to today. Any help is greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I should supply any more information that would be of help.

*edited to add the specs of my PSU*

Last edited:

cattecattecatte

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Update: fixed it! I tried using DDU to reinstall the drivers completely, and after checking the option to prevent windows from installing the drivers automatically, I'm no longer experiencing any issues. woo!