[SOLVED] RTX 3070 FE Fan speed problem

Nov 6, 2020
Hi everyone, I just received my new RTX 3070 founders edition card. After installing the card, downloading the Drivers, and starting a game, the fan speeds immediately went to 100% and it is extremely noisy. I read somewhere that this card was supposed to be quiet, and I have tried both MSI afterburner and evga precision in an attempt to slow these unnecessarily high fan speeds. Unfortunately I have not had any luck with this, and the card does not seem to respond to these programs. The card itself seems to stay around 50 degrees Celsius, which is ridiculously cool, and I would rather have it run a bit hotter with slower fan speeds. Please help! If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it greatly.

Solution
The drivers from another GPU would definetely interfere that's why it is highly recommended that you use DDU before swapping cards.
Since you just used it, then it's not the issue here.

Make sure that you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

There is a possibility that you got a faulty card. If you can try the GPU in another system to see if the problem exists there as well then, we would know for sure.
Nov 6, 2020
I have come across the same behavior and the solution was that the GPU was not properly inserted in the PCie slot. Please reseat yours and check if that solved it.
I just did that, and it appears to be having the same issue. This time I monitored temperature and the fans sped up at about 57 degrees. I have the auto setting enabled on MSI afterburner, and this seems to yield the best result as the only time it gets loud is under a gaming load. Still, 57 degrees seems low to me, but I may just be inexperienced. When I disable the auto mode and try to use a custom fan curve, the fans go to 100% immediately. I appreciate the suggestion though, that was very fast!

Nov 6, 2020
Please list your full system specs. Include make and model of your PSU.

Did you use DDU when you removed old GPU?

EDIT: Fans starting at 57C is quite normal.
Here's my system:
CPU -Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (With Wifi)
RAM - G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600MHz
GPU - GeForce RTX 3070 FE
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB
HDD - 1TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair RM850 80 plus GOLD
CPU cooler - Stock Ryzen
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C
-----------------------------------
To clarify, the fans are not just starting at 57, they are maxing out as far as I can tell. I did not use DDU, actually I don't even know what that is. I assume it's some sort of driver removal tool. Do you think the old drivers from my RX580 are interfering?

EDIT: I just used DDU to remove the AMD display drivers from my system, this did not change anything.

Last edited:
The drivers from another GPU would definetely interfere that's why it is highly recommended that you use DDU before swapping cards.

There is a possibility that you got a faulty card. If you can try the GPU in another system to see if the problem exists there as well then, we would know for sure.

Solution
Nov 6, 2020

I have downloaded GPUz and it appears that I was wrong when I stated that it was ramping up to 100%. After further testing I have come to the conclusion that this card is working properly. I am a bit disappointed that my card runs so loudly, but perhaps that's just how graphics cards are supposed to sound currently. Thank you dotas1 for your help!

Nov 7, 2020
Hi, I am having this exact issue. Day 1 and 2 using the Rog Strix RTX 3070 was fine. The unit worked as intended and the fans only spun when they needed to. The thing was dead-silent. This morning, the center fan has decided to start running at 53% continuously despite the fact the GPU temp is 27C.

I didn't need the GPU Tweak II software from ASUS on day 1 and 2. I installed in today to try and fix this issue. However, even their software has no control over the center fan. It continues to spin without control.

I have tried resetting the GPU in its PCie slot. I have tried switching the bios mode between P and Q. I have tried reinstalling my NVIDIA drivers. This setup is brand new, so old GPU software wasn't on it. No need for DDU.

My specs/build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q27p8J

I have no idea where to go next. All I know is the thing was working, and I'd like to get back to that working state.