[SOLVED] RTX 3070 for my 144Hz, 1080p Gaming Monitor

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So currently, I am running my PC with Intel Core i5 10600 with integrated graphic chip.

1. I am planning to buy RTX 3070 later on October. Do you think it will be way too much for my 1080p monitor?
  2. My knowledge is that if I am buying an overkill GPU for my 1080p monitor, it will be overkill for now, but it will be future-proof. I am having the correct knowledge?

Solution
the normal go to answer is that it will last. just slowly over time you'll be lowering settings and eye candy to stay at high fps.

if the price is right, it is still a solid gpu. its not like last gen gpu's all of a sudden stop performing like they always have just because something new is out. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it performs like nvidia claims, then yes it will be WAY overkill for a 1080p monitor. the claim is that it matches or beats the 2080 if i recall right.

"future proof" is very arbitrary but you can probably assume multiple years of it giving top notch performance for you. nothing will last forever but sounds like 3-4 years would be an easy guess to make.

but then that is just a guess as we can never know what the future will hold. games might take a mega leap forward next year and all of a sudden it will take extra power for them to work right. won't know until they get here. anyone pretending to know the future is ...... well...... making stuff up.....

Reactions: halmahera

halmahera

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
if it performs like nvidia claims, then yes it will be WAY overkill for a 1080p monitor. the claim is that it matches or beats the 2080 if i recall right.

"future proof" is very arbitrary but you can probably assume multiple years of it giving top notch performance for you. nothing will last forever but sounds like 3-4 years would be an easy guess to make.

but then that is just a guess as we can never know what the future will hold. games might take a mega leap forward next year and all of a sudden it will take extra power for them to work right. won't know until they get here. anyone pretending to know the future is ...... well...... making stuff up.....

Very reasonable point on this: "games might take a mega leap forward next year and all of a sudden it will take extra power for them to work right", thanks man

Okay lets just make very personal opinion, what do you think about 2070 Super, is it going to be able to hold for 3-4 too in 1080p??

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the normal go to answer is that it will last. just slowly over time you'll be lowering settings and eye candy to stay at high fps.

if the price is right, it is still a solid gpu. its not like last gen gpu's all of a sudden stop performing like they always have just because something new is out. :)

Reactions: halmahera
Solution

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Very reasonable point on this: "games might take a mega leap forward next year and all of a sudden it will take extra power for them to work right", thanks man

Okay lets just make very personal opinion, what do you think about 2070 Super, is it going to be able to hold for 3-4 too in 1080p??
If the prices of 3070 will be what it is said. I wouldent have touched a 2070s unless i got it under 300$ hell i am not sure i would pay more then 300$ for a new 2080ti now.

Im owning a 2070s.

TRENDING THREADS