[SOLVED] RTX 3070 goes beyond 2000MHz ?

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello,

My ZOTAC RTX 3070 X-GAMING OC automatically goes beyond 2000MHz according to MSI Afterburner and sometimes hits 2100MHz . I once hit the OC scanner button there,
but then I clicked on revert , which means that it should go back to normal right? . I have bought this card recently and it has been
like this ever since I bought it. I am a little worried because the temp rises all the way to 83c under full load and I don't want to overclock this thing to begin with .
Is there anything
I should do ?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/zotac-rtx-3070-x-gaming-oc.b8287

Solution
Clocking as high as possible within parameters is normal GPU behavior. All the official specs tell you is what the card is guaranteed to deliver. It's guaranteed to clock to at least 1750MHz boost clock, but that by no means is the limit. My 3070Ti clocks up to 1990MHz without OC, too, despite having an official boost of 1770MHz. Every single modern GPU behaves that way.

The limit is determined by its temperature target (82 or 83°C iirc), power target, and quality of the chip on your card. Your card runs as expected. No need to freak out. If you want to do anything, set a custom fan curve in Afterburner and check that the power target of the card is 100%, not 110% or something similar as some cards allow. You can also try to...

KyaraM

Admirable
Clocking as high as possible within parameters is normal GPU behavior. All the official specs tell you is what the card is guaranteed to deliver. It's guaranteed to clock to at least 1750MHz boost clock, but that by no means is the limit. My 3070Ti clocks up to 1990MHz without OC, too, despite having an official boost of 1770MHz. Every single modern GPU behaves that way.

The limit is determined by its temperature target (82 or 83°C iirc), power target, and quality of the chip on your card. Your card runs as expected. No need to freak out. If you want to do anything, set a custom fan curve in Afterburner and check that the power target of the card is 100%, not 110% or something similar as some cards allow. You can also try to undervolt the card for better thermals.

Reactions: Samuel-212

zx128k

Reputable
Uninstall the overclocking software and reinstall the GPU drivers. That will reset the GPU to defaults if you can't work out from GPU-z or the overclocking software if you are at defaults. You can confirm this in GPU-z. It shows default and current clocks. Both should be the same.

Jul 13, 2022

The limit is determined by its temperature target (82 or 83°C iirc), power target, and quality of the chip on your card. Your card runs as expected. No need to freak out. If you want to do anything, set a custom fan curve in Afterburner and check that the power target of the card is 100%, not 110% or something similar as some cards allow. You can also try to undervolt the card for better thermals.
Nvidia GPUs have a maximum dynamic boost of 1995, above that is considering overclocking, except for the new series Ada, and it doesn't go above that even at stock.
If his gpus is reaching that frequency (above 2000) even with the stock settings, this means that afterburner is applying a custom curve to his gpu, and he's probably using a beta version too.
He can always try with the debug mode and see how gpu behave.

Solution

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Well . thank you all . I uninstalled Afterburner and installed GPU Tweak 3 , which resolved the issue completely . It turned out that I had installed the Beta version of MSI Afterburner . Now it goes as high as 1950 MHZ sometimes, but as some of you mentioned , it is within the normal range .

Reactions: Why_Me

zx128k

Reputable
Nvidia GPUs have a maximum dynamic boost of 1995, above that is considering overclocking, except for the new series Ada, and it doesn't go above that even at stock.
If his gpus is reaching that frequency (above 2000) even with the stock settings, this means that afterburner is applying a custom curve to his gpu, and he's probably using a beta version too.
He can always try with the debug mode and see how gpu behave.

From the factory, the MSI RTX 3090 Ti Suprim X should clock at 1965 MHz, but it will actually boost higher than that, around 2040 MHz. GPU-z will give the default clock and GPU clock on the first graphics card tab. If both are the same the card is stock. Another reason for higher clocks is an unlocked power limit. Reinstalling the driver will both set the power limit to stock and undo any overclock. Uninstalling the overclocking program will stop it applying any settings. Sometimes you can get an issue with the overclocking program and/or drivers.

Reactions: KyaraM