Question RTX 3070 keeps crashing my PC

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
My MSI RTX 3070 seems to be acting up recently. It's fans runs fully even when playing non GPU heavy games like Football Manager and even makes the PC crash, like it lost connection to power. Even when it's just running browser with things like YouTube, Facebook and so on, it stays at around 42 degrees and makes quite a bit of noise. Is it a GPU fault, or perhaps a PSU fault or something else?

My setup is as following:
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-Plus Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750W 85+ GOLD PSU

Let me know if you need any more information.

Apr 4, 2022
Dreamstreet,

Have you recently updated the GPU drivers? I know that's an obvious question, but it wasn't mentioned.

Is your BIOS up to date?

Are you overclocking your card with any software?

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
The cabinet I'm using is similar to a Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition Though it's 8 years old now so I've been thinking of switching it out.

As for the fans, I got one in the front that pumps air into the cabinet, one at the other end that pumps it out, on at the top that pumps air out and one on the side that pumps it in. Other than that, I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler with 2 fans as well.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Just used 3DMark to run a stress test and a Time Spy test.

The stress test passed with 99.4%, with max temp being 66 for GPU and 62 for CPU.

In Time Spy, GPU got up to 62 degrees, and CPU went all the way up to 79 degrees by the end of it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When it crashes, does the PC shut off, or do you still hear voices/music from the Youtube video?
Are you using any other PCIe devices that you didn't list - like a sound card?
Recall any 3rd party software that you installed recently? Perhaps one of those Driver Easy/Booster programs?

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
When it crashes, does the PC shut off, or do you still hear voices/music from the Youtube video?
Are you using any other PCIe devices that you didn't list - like a sound card?
Recall any 3rd party software that you installed recently? Perhaps one of those Driver Easy/Booster programs?
The computer shuts down like you've pulled the power cable out of it. Just randomly shuts down like it doesn't get any power at all, and I have to disconnect the power cable and put it in a minute later before it will start up again.
Only devices connected to the PC is 2 monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse and internet cable.
The only software I got running is Firefox, Battle.net client, and Steam, apart from the game I'm playing.

The computer shuts down like you've pulled the power cable out of it. Just randomly shuts down like it doesn't get any power at all, and I have to disconnect the power cable and put it in a minute later before it will start up again.
Only devices connected to the PC is 2 monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse and internet cable.
The only software I got running is Firefox, Battle.net client, and Steam, apart from the game I'm playing.
Since the GPU fan goes to max, it sounds like the card has become defective over time. Check the hotspot temperature in GPU-Z on the sensors tab and post a screen shot of it at idle.

How old is the 3070? The Early 3070 Ventus cards had issues and you may now be experiencing the issues from a problem that just didn't start yet. You will likely need to RMA the card.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Since the GPU fan goes to max, it sounds like the card has become defective over time. Check the hotspot temperature in GPU-Z on the sensors tab and post a screen shot of it at idle.

How old is the 3070? The Early 3070 Ventus cards had issues and you may now be experiencing the issues from a problem that just didn't start yet. You will likely need to RMA the card.

I got it in January last year, so it's about a year and a half old.

You can find a screenshot of it here.

I got it in January last year, so it's about a year and a half old.

You can find a screenshot of it here.
Do you have another power supply you can test with that is at least 650watt? The GPU or the PSU could be the problem, but you will probably need to test with a different PSU before you can possibly rule out the GPU. You should also switch to using 2 separate PCIe GPU cables instead of a single daisy chained cable if you're not already doing that.

If you don't want to get another PSU, you could still RMA the card without testing, since that Seasonic unit you have is a pretty good and may not be the problem.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Do you have another power supply you can test with that is at least 650watt? The GPU or the PSU could be the problem, but you will probably need to test with a different PSU before you can possibly rule out the GPU. You should also switch to using 2 separate PCIe GPU cables instead of a single daisy chained cable if you're not already doing that.

If you don't want to get another PSU, you could still RMA the card without testing, since that Seasonic unit you have is a pretty good and may not be the problem.
I'll try using 2 seperate PCIe cables since I'm currently using one with 2x8 pin PCIe connectors on it.