Question RTX 3070 keeps crashing Pc when starting a game

Jan 18, 2021
Hi I recently build my new pc everything is working fine everything is plugged in all drivers are installed but when I try to play a game it loads then crashes the pc any ideas? (also the gpu isn't being detected in bios)
PC Specs
MOBO: gigabyte ds3h b550
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card

edit:
even trying to run google earth the pc crashes

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021
Hi I recently build my new pc everything is working fine everything is plugged in all drivers are installed but when I try to play a game it loads then crashes the pc any ideas? (also the gpu isn't being detected in bios)
PC Specs

edit:

Hey man, the biggest piece of advice here is that you need to disconnect your graphics card and then reconnect it. Make sure you do this properly, you need to hear that audible click of the gpu lock when you push it down into the slot. If that doesn't help, try a different slot if you have one. If that doesn't work, take it out, blow out any dust from the slot, make sure the contacts on the 3070 are clean and not scratched and put it back in.

If this still doesn't work, you will most likely need to do a clen install of your drivers.

Let me know how you go

Jan 18, 2021
Hey man, the biggest piece of advice here is that you need to disconnect your graphics card and then reconnect it. Make sure you do this properly, you need to hear that audible click of the gpu lock when you push it down into the slot. If that doesn't help, try a different slot if you have one. If that doesn't work, take it out, blow out any dust from the slot, make sure the contacts on the 3070 are clean and not scratched and put it back in.

If this still doesn't work, you will most likely need to do a clen install of your drivers.

Let me know how you go
Hey I tried all of these steps but still crashing
do you know how I can get a clean install for drivers

Jan 18, 2021
Hey I tried all of these steps but still crashing
do you know how I can get a clean install for drivers
Of course.

This is the driver you want. It's about 600mb download. When it comes up with the install options, you want to go to "Custom install" not "Express install" and then you will have the option for a "Clean" install. This will usually uninstall all of your old drivers and install the new one.

PC Specs

edit:
Did you use the support bracket that came with the card? Else it may sag and not be seated fully in the slot

Reactions: Daredamon96

the_nephilim_dominant

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
This peculiar issue occures merely reason is exorbitant core clock of graphiics card
To corroborate the verasity of this solution use softwares like asus gpu tweak ot watsoever to reduce core clock at least by 200 mhz then then commence the test

Jan 18, 2021
Of course.

This is the driver you want. It's about 600mb download. When it comes up with the install options, you want to go to "Custom install" not "Express install" and then you will have the option for a "Clean" install. This will usually uninstall all of your old drivers and install the new one.
I did this and still not good
I tried swapping my GPU with my old GTX 950 and when I boot up the pc it crashes while I'm attempting to put my password in
could this be an issue with something else in the pc?