AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Guys I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT, RTX 3070 and 32 Gigs of G Skill Ripjaws Ram 3600 Mhz and I'm getting low gpu usage on 90% games I play.

I'm playing at 1080p 240 Hz HDR gsync monitor LG, Now don't tell me to DDU my GPU or set settings to High performance or update my BIOS or my drivers, I've done all those things I could imagine and even formatted and reinstalled my Windows 10 multiple times and no FIX, I've used DSR to play games at 2K,4K and it doesn't fix things either, it happens on alot of games except certain AAA games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead redeption 2, The Medium, COD Warzone, Control, Dying Light, Witcher 3, etc These are both old and new AAA games and there is no LOW GPU usage with them, its always 99% or 100% .

However, certain games like AC odyssey and older games and newer games that i can't remember them all that I'm getting severe low gpu usage resulting in LOW Fps, is this a CPU issue? maybe i should've bought an intel i9 10900k in the beginning? I built this PC only to play AAA games and listen to music, watch movies and nothing else, I'm not a hardcore gamer either, I only built this PC for AAA games in mind, I also bought a 1080p 240 Hz HDR Gsync monitor because I wanted my 3070 to push as much as frames as possible but that isn't the case, I Live in India and couldn't get my hands on a 3080 and can't afford a 3090 either, GPU's are expensive here in India and I bought my 3070 for $964, I don't know what else to say, U guys kindly read this whole section and comment and ask me questions maybe there is a solution to this ?

Specs:

AMD ryzen 3900 XT stock clock
RTX 3070 MSI ventus 2X OC stock
Gskill 3600 Mhz Ram
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
360mm Deepcool AIO
Corsair icue 220 T case
LG 27' HDR G sync 1080p 240 Hz
Antec HCG extreme 850 watts gold PSU

I don't know what else to say, all drivers are up to date, Bios up to date, everything on high performance mode, nothing overclocked, I'm afraid i've wasted alot of money on buying this i spent around $4000 on this build maybe i should've bought a PS5, I can't sell this PC either, I'm suffering from and been diagnosed with schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, so please be kind and nice to me and take it easy on me, I'm mentally ill.

Last edited:
Solution
Guys I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT, RTX 3070 and 32 Gigs of G Skill Ripjaws Ram 3600 Mhz and I'm getting low gpu usage on 90% games I play.

I'm playing at 1080p 240 Hz HDR gsync monitor LG, Now don't tell me to DDU my GPU or set settings to High performance or update my BIOS or my drivers, I've done all those things I could imagine and even formatted and reinstalled my Windows 10 multiple times and no FIX, I've used DSR to play games at 2K,4K and it doesn't fix things either, it happens on alot of games except certain AAA games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead redeption 2, The Medium, COD Warzone, Control, Dying Light, Witcher 3, etc These are both old and new AAA games and there is no LOW GPU usage with them, its always 99% or 100%...
Check your GPU Hot Spot temperature in HWinfo64, I looked at mine today and it was getting up to 96 C as it is very warm here then I saw my PC case is in direct sunlight heh may need to find a shady spot for it.
Having a 3070 doesn't mean every game will run at or near 240 fps some will just hit 60 it all depends on the game.

I hope you will feel better soon.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble
Do not expect high GPU (and/or CPU) usage in any particular game....; some games are more CPU and/or GPU bound even at 1080P, some less so....

Deciding ahead of time that any particular game should have high CPU or GPU usage at 1080P is likely but a course of futile frustration....

I'm playing at 1080p 240 Hz HDR gsync monitor LG, Now don't tell me to DDU my GPU or set settings to High performance or update my BIOS or my drivers, I've done all those things I could imagine and even formatted and reinstalled my Windows 10 multiple times and no FIX, I've used DSR to play games at 2K,4K and it doesn't fix things either, it happens on alot of games except certain AAA games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead redeption 2, The Medium, COD Warzone, Control, Dying Light, Witcher 3, etc These are both old and new AAA games and there is no LOW GPU usage with them, its always 99% or 100% .

However, certain games like AC odyssey and older games and newer games that i can't remember them all that I'm getting severe low gpu usage resulting in LOW Fps, is this a CPU issue? maybe i should've bought an intel i9 10900k in the beginning? I built this PC only to play AAA games and listen to music, watch movies and nothing else, I'm not a hardcore gamer either, I only built this PC for AAA games in mind, I also bought a 1080p 240 Hz HDR Gsync monitor because I wanted my 3070 to push as much as frames as possible but that isn't the case, I Live in India and couldn't get my hands on a 3080 and can't afford a 3090 either, GPU's are expensive here in India and I bought my 3070 for $964, I don't know what else to say, U guys kindly read this whole section and comment and ask me questions maybe there is a solution to this ?

Specs:

AMD ryzen 3900 XT stock clock
RTX 3070 MSI ventus 2X OC stock
Gskill 3600 Mhz Ram
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
360mm Deepcool AIO
Corsair icue 220 T case
LG 27' HDR G sync 1080p 240 Hz
Antec HCG extreme 850 watts gold PSU

I don't know what else to say, all drivers are up to date, Bios up to date, everything on high performance mode, nothing overclocked, I'm afraid i've wasted alot of money on buying this i spent around $4000 on this build maybe i should've bought a PS5, I can't sell this PC either, I'm suffering from and been diagnosed with schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, so please be kind and nice to me and take it easy on me, I'm mentally ill.

The Ryzen 3900 XT is a great productivity CPU due to it's many cores & threads, but as a gaming CPU it can be a limiting factor in 1080p/high refresh rate builds (like yours) due to its somewhat lower clock speeds and IPC compared to Ryzen 5000 CPUs and Intel CPUs from the last few generations. Some games benefit more from higher core counts (like the ones you mentioned that run well) but many games rely on high boost clocks and raw single-core processing power to hit high frame rates.

Unfortunately (short of overclocking your CPU a bit) there isn't much that you can probably do to improve your situation. I understand that you might have some difficulty accomplishing this, but if you are able to sell your 3900XT and buy a Ryzen 5800X or better, it would surely improve your GPU utilization and thus your frame rates. The Ryzen 5000 series was designed specifically for AMD to claw back the 1080p gaming advantage that Intel has had over AMD for so long and it succeeded. If you are able to get a 5000 series CPU in your build, it would make a huge difference.

Solution