Question RTX 3070 low usage / low fps

Dec 11, 2020
Hello guys,

First of all let me list my spec because it is important for this topic.

RTX 3070
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB RAM (2400 - I know, should upgrade this)
750w PSU gold seasonic
Monitor is Full HD 144Hz (HP)

I am experiencing something that is really weird. I have recently upgraded from my GTX 1050ti to RTX 3070 (because of cyberpunk).
Since my spec should be running this game on like 2k with medium RTX settings smoothly, I have to ask around if somebody experiencing something similar.

This game has problem exceed 60 FPS, no matter what setting you put on. Game obviously put everything on ULTRA preset, but you getting FPS drops from 60 to 35 FPS which totally ruining game experience.
Even weirder is that it does not get any better when you change settings to LOW! you still getting 60 FPS tops with drops to 35.

The most funny thing is, best performance I could reach is to set resolution of the game to 4k with settings on low!
Then i was getting even 100 FPS when area was not crowded. how is that even possible?

I have to also point out that these behavior where performance does not get better also applies to Call of Duty Warzone.
When you set there everything to ULTRA + Raytraying you getting MORE FPS (about 130) then you set everything to low / medium (around 100)

GPU usage during the play does not exceed 50% when you set it to LOW/MEDIUM.
But is reaching around 80-90% of usage when you set to 4k resolution + low settings.

What troubleshooting was done:

Driver has been reinstalled with DDU from Nvidia page
We tried put more power for GPU in afterburner
Tried to change cables from GPU to PSU (from single to double)
Updated BIOS and chipset

Hope somebody can help.

Thank you.

Hello guys,

First of all let me list my spec because it is important for this topic.

RTX 3070
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB RAM (2400 - I know, should upgrade this)
750w PSU gold seasonic
Monitor is Full HD 144Hz (HP)

I am experiencing something that is really weird. I have recently upgraded from my GTX 1050ti to RTX 3070 (because of cyberpunk).
Since my spec should be running this game on like 2k with medium RTX settings smoothly, I have to ask around if somebody experiencing something similar.

This game has problem exceed 60 FPS, no matter what setting you put on. Game obviously put everything on ULTRA preset, but you getting FPS drops from 60 to 35 FPS which totally ruining game experience.
Even weirder is that it does not get any better when you change settings to LOW! you still getting 60 FPS tops with drops to 35.

The most funny thing is, best performance I could reach is to set resolution of the game to 4k with settings on low!
Then i was getting even 100 FPS when area was not crowded. how is that even possible?

I have to also point out that these behavior where performance does not get better also applies to Call of Duty Warzone.
When you set there everything to ULTRA + Raytraying you getting MORE FPS (about 130) then you set everything to low / medium (around 100)

GPU usage during the play does not exceed 50% when you set it to LOW/MEDIUM.
But is reaching around 80-90% of usage when you set to 4k resolution + low settings.

What troubleshooting was done:

Driver has been reinstalled with DDU from Nvidia page
We tried put more power for GPU in afterburner
Tried to change cables from GPU to PSU (from single to double)
Updated BIOS and chipset

Hope somebody can help.

Thank you.

Until you upgrade your RAM to 2 x 8 GB of RAM with a speed of at least 3200 MHz (preferably 3600 MHz) there is no way to solve your problem without your super slow RAM speeds being an incredibly likely contributing factor to your problem one way or another.

Fix your RAM first, then if you're having the same problem come back and we'll try to help.

Reactions: Abhinav2005
Dec 11, 2020
Until you upgrade your RAM to 2 x 8 GB of RAM with a speed of at least 3200 MHz (preferably 3600 MHz) there is no way to solve your problem without your super slow RAM speeds being an incredibly likely contributing factor to your problem one way or another.

Fix your RAM first, then if you're having the same problem come back and we'll try to help.
It is 2x8 GB. I know that 2400Hz is not ideal for Ryzen but how can be that a case?
Warzone is running smoothly on 130 FPS with everything ON and I dare to say it is even more demanding CPU game than cyberpunk.

People on the Internet are complaining on this problem too, with specs like:

ryzen 5800x
16GB 3400hz

and getting 40 FPS!

So i don't think you recommendation is any good.

It is 2x8 GB. I know that 2400Hz is not ideal for Ryzen but how can be that a case?
Warzone is running smoothly on 130 FPS with everything ON and I dare to say it is even more demanding CPU game than cyberpunk.

People on the Internet are complaining on this problem too, with specs like:

ryzen 5800x
16GB 3400hz

and getting 40 FPS!

So i don't think you recommendation is any good.

Suit yourself

Reactions: spentshells
Slow RAM on Ryzen can make as much as a 30% difference in FPS in extreme cases. I have no idea how much of an impact it makes in Cyberpunk. Without eliminating obvious limitations we don’t know how much of an issue is the RAM and how much is something else, possibly the game itself.

Dec 11, 2020
Slow RAM on Ryzen can make as much as a 30% difference in FPS in extreme cases. I have no idea how much of an impact it makes in Cyberpunk. Without eliminating obvious limitations we don’t know how much of an issue is the RAM and how much is something else, possibly the game itself.
I dont know man. Been looking for comparsion for ryzen 5 3600 with 2400hz vs 3600hz RAM and biggest performance leap was literally 10 FPS.

Since this game should run on total Potato PC it makes no sense that I am not getting FPS improvement when I switch from ULTRA settings to LOW, my Graphic just stop putting utilization and FPS remaining same.

Dec 14, 2020
Yeah, its not the ram, having the excact same issue with a rtx 3070, 32gb corsair 3200mghz, and a ryzen 2600x, from what I have gathered, its a driver issue.

Can you all wait for Cyberpunk to get a few updates? That game was just released and already it's getting many updates.

It's a buggy, not very well optimized game and everyone who has performance issues should just wait.

Do not take Cyberpunk as a role model of how your games should be running. At least not yet.

It's not your system. It's the game. Just try DOOM Eternal to see how a well made game should be running on your system using the amazing Vulkan API.

And yes. That 2400Mhz RAM on Ryzen system is not recommended. 10 to 20 fps is 10 to 20 fps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WZNwb_6XU

Can you all wait for Cyberpunk to get a few updates? That game was just released and already it's getting many updates.

It's a buggy, not very well optimized game and everyone who has performance issues should just wait.

Do not take Cyberpunk as a role model of how your games should be running. At least not yet.

It's not your system. It's the game. Just try DOOM Eternal to see how a well made game should be running on your system using the amazing Vulkan API.

And yes. That 2400Mhz RAM on Ryzen system is not recommended. 10 to 20 fps is 10 to 20 fps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WZNwb_6XU

Doom eternal is is a completely different game from Cyberpunk 2077, they don't compare at all.

Doom eternal is designed for high fps, so as a result it is a cordoned-off type game with not a whole lot going on onscreen most of the time.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world game designed to push the boundaries of what is possible on modern hardware, with ray tracing, high draw distances, high NPC counts, and with incredible levels of overall world detail.

The problem isn't just the engine, its the level of detail. Doom Eternal runs as well as it does because it was expressly designed to run a certain way. Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't, and that was also by design.

Jan 13, 2021
I'm getting the same problems, Ryzen 3600 RTX 3070 50% GPU usage in most games and around 60fps in most games (should be getting much more), really frustrated and have no idea what to do. 3600mhz ram also

Doom eternal is is a completely different game from Cyberpunk 2077, they don't compare at all.

Doom eternal is designed for high fps, so as a result it is a cordoned-off type game with not a whole lot going on onscreen most of the time.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world game designed to push the boundaries of what is possible on modern hardware, with ray tracing, high draw distances, high NPC counts, and with incredible levels of overall world detail.

The problem isn't just the engine, its the level of detail. Doom Eternal runs as well as it does because it was expressly designed to run a certain way. Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't, and that was also by design.

I get the feeling you didn't play much doom eternal ;) but I get what you mean. Doom eternal was also properly completed before release.

Reactions: Fiorezy and Enzo69