Question RTX 3070 Low Usage, Stutters, and FPS drops ?

penguinplaysagario

Honorable
Jun 9, 2018
Just yesterday I upgraded from a 1050ti to a GIGABYTE RTX 3070 OC, hooked it up with 2 different cables from my semi-modular PSU. While the gpu works and everything else in my pc works I have noticed a huge problem with stutters in game and FPS not even reaching as high as my 1050ti would. At idle the GPU sits at around 60 degrees celsius, 0-2% utilization, when I play a game the 3070 does not even try to go above 15% utilization but the temperature stays around the same 55-65 degrees. I have no clue as to why the gpu is acting up in this way. Maybe the cpu is bottlenecking it? Even tried using DDU in safe mode and installing new drivers but nothing seems to fix it.

Also if it's anything to do with my display i run 1920x1080 @144hz
If it matters out of my 500gb, I have 40gb of storage left, maybe I have to reinstall my windows to fix the problem?

My specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-B365 M AORUS ELITE-CF
CPU: I5 9400f
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 OC 8GB
RAM: Goodram 32gb 3200mhz (Running @2666mhz)
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W MPX-6501-AMAAB-EU
SSD: Kingston SA2000M8 500GB M.2 NVME
Windows 10

Here is my UserBenchmark, I do not know why it says missing SSD even though it detected everything but yeah: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/62713551

Last edited:
CPU is certainly not the problem here, and nothing seems inherently wrong with your setup.

Is this happening with all games?

Have you run any benchmarks (either in game or synthetic)?
-if not I'd suggest running an in game benchmark should you have any games installed with one otherwise download the free version of 3dmark and see what it does.

Do you have any monitoring software such as HWInfo/HWMonitor/MSI Afterburner in use?
-if not at the very least get MSI Afterburner for checking GPU performance and power consumption.

While you'd get better performance with a more powerful platform your performance should never be worse than it was with a much slower card.

penguinplaysagario

Honorable
Jun 9, 2018
CPU is certainly not the problem here, and nothing seems inherently wrong with your setup.

Is this happening with all games?

Have you run any benchmarks (either in game or synthetic)?
-if not I'd suggest running an in game benchmark should you have any games installed with one otherwise download the free version of 3dmark and see what it does.

Do you have any monitoring software such as HWInfo/HWMonitor/MSI Afterburner in use?
-if not at the very least get MSI Afterburner for checking GPU performance and power consumption.

While you'd get better performance with a more powerful platform your performance should never be worse than it was with a much slower card.
Happens only in fortnite as far as I've experienced, ran gta 5 with no problems and no spikes but gpu was still utilized no more than 25% with the cpu being at 80-100% the whole time.
Here is an image of msi afterburner, I don't really see any irregularities: