[SOLVED] RTX 3070 not detected ?

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
I don't know if i should be concerned about this issue or not. I was lucky enough to acquire an RTX 3070 from Best Buy at retail price. I've been using it for the last few weeks without any issues. I currently have my old pc (via dvi) and my new pc with 3070 (via display port) connected to one monitor. I also recently did a complete reformat and fresh windows install on the new pc within the past week.

Today, when I booted up my new pc, my monitor would not detect the display port. It kept defaulting to dvi. I have RGB memory sticks and when booting up the pc, it will normally cycle through a rainbow of colors for about 30 seconds before turning solid blue (my set color profile). This time, when the display port was not being recognized by the monitor, the memory sticks were not going solid blue, rather cycling the rainbow of colors endlessly as it does upon initial boot. I turned off the pc. Turned back on. This time the memory eventually went solid blue as normal, but monitor still wouldn't detect display port. Tried again, same thing. I unplugged the dvi cable from old pc and the monitor still wasn't detecting display port to my new pc. I finally just turned off the new pc, unplugged the power, plugged power cable back in, and booted the new pc up again. Now it works like normal. Is this something I should be concerned about long run or just a simple glitch that was resolved with unplugging the power?

Current components:
RTX 3070 FE
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Crucial Ballistix RGB 16gb (8x2)
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
ASUS VG248QE 144hz Monitor
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 (with windows install)
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
OTZ Vertex 4 256gb (currently unused but inside for extra space)
Seasonic FOCUS GX-650W 80+ Gold PSU

Any ideas as to why the display port would not have been detected when it has otherwise been running flawlessly? Any concerns for defects? If there are any issues, I'm still within warranty timeframes. But with the GPU market being what it is, I hope its anything but the 3070.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply. I did not update bios but i did update all the drivers for various components (via asus armory) for things like wlan, bluetooth, audio, etc. I'm not sure if I've ever actually updated bios before other than updating the individual components mentioned above.

Would you advise doing this anyway, or wait to see if the this incident repeats itself before updating bios?

After unplugging power and plugging it back in, it hasn't had any issues since. Tested booting in 3 different times throughout the day today.

Drivers have zero affect on this. They load after the OS starts to load. The problem you're describing is before POST completes. Well before the OS starts loading.

I don't see any harm in waiting...
Update the BIOS. There are numerous stability updates and AMD AGESA updates for your motherboard. Read the install notes. As it looks like you need to rename the BIOS file before flashing it.

Run a memory diagnostic with Memtest86+. You can run Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's easier to run but may not find all errors like Memtest86+.

As by your description. It isn't a DisplayPort issue. It sounds like the computer wasn't passing the POST.

D

Deleted member 1560910

This is what i would do. Unplugged you PC and hold the power button. Plug back in and see if that fixed it . Try putting your GPU if other pcie slot. I would worry about your gpu even if its bad just buy warranty and send it to them for fix if it turns out it is the gpu. This will ensure you keep your 3070

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
Update the BIOS. There are numerous stability updates and AMD AGESA updates for your motherboard. Read the install notes. As it looks like you need to rename the BIOS file before flashing it.

Run a memory diagnostic with Memtest86+. You can run Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's easier to run but may not find all errors like Memtest86+.

As by your description. It isn't a DisplayPort issue. It sounds like the computer wasn't passing the POST.
Thanks for the reply. I did not update bios but i did update all the drivers for various components (via asus armory) for things like wlan, bluetooth, audio, etc. I'm not sure if I've ever actually updated bios before other than updating the individual components mentioned above.

Would you advise doing this anyway, or wait to see if the this incident repeats itself before updating bios?

After unplugging power and plugging it back in, it hasn't had any issues since. Tested booting in 3 different times throughout the day today.

bravodown

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
This is what i would do. Unplugged you PC and hold the power button. Plug back in and see if that fixed it . Try putting your GPU if other pcie slot. I would worry about your gpu even if its bad just buy warranty and send it to them for fix if it turns out it is the gpu. This will ensure you keep your 3070
Thx for the reply. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in did help last night and the issue has not been repeated since so hopefully its good to go. I tested booting 3 separate times since the post last night and the incident has not repeated itself. I will keep this in mind if it happens again.

Drivers have zero affect on this. They load after the OS starts to load. The problem you're describing is before POST completes. Well before the OS starts loading.

I don't see any harm in waiting. Although I prefer to keep my BIOS up to date. I also occassionally check if there are any firmware updates for devices like SSD, GPU and Printers.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1560910

Thx for the reply. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in did help last night and the issue has not been repeated since so hopefully its good to go. I tested booting 3 separate times since the post last night and the incident has not repeated itself. I will keep this in mind if it happens again.
cool beans