[SOLVED] RTX 3070 on PCIE 4.0x8?

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Considering the fact that RTX 2080 Ti just barely exhausted the x16 lane on PCIE 2.0, or equivalent of the x8 lane on PCIE 3.0, are there any issues in terms of performance loss mounting RTX 3070 on PCIE 4.0 x8?

I'm waiting for the RTX 3070 and have planned my new build on the ASUS x570 Prime-Pro. I'd like to mount the GPU in the x8 slot to 1) allow the chipset fan some breathing room so it's not blocked by GPU in x16, and 2) cosmetic reasons.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Thanks! Is it really only bandwidth that I need to consider? Are there any performance loss? I see on many board manuals that will say the GPU needs to be mounted in the first (x16) PCIE slot.
There was very little to no difference between a 3080 running on 3.0 vs 4.0 so a 3070 should be no difference, but there is a possibility of some extra latency higher frametimes since only the top port connects to the motherboard pci-e lanes and the other slots use the chipsets pci-e lanes, which is why the manufacture reccomends the top slot.

I'd like to mount the GPU in the x8 slot to 1) allow the chipset fan some breathing room
Imho this is a non issue. But since the port isn't blocked just try the card in both slots and see...

bignastyid

Titan
Thanks! Is it really only bandwidth that I need to consider? Are there any performance loss? I see on many board manuals that will say the GPU needs to be mounted in the first (x16) PCIE slot.
There was very little to no difference between a 3080 running on 3.0 vs 4.0 so a 3070 should be no difference, but there is a possibility of some extra latency higher frametimes since only the top port connects to the motherboard pci-e lanes and the other slots use the chipsets pci-e lanes, which is why the manufacture reccomends the top slot.

I'd like to mount the GPU in the x8 slot to 1) allow the chipset fan some breathing room
Imho this is a non issue. But since the port isn't blocked just try the card in both slots and see which is better if any.

Reactions: bumblebee953
Solution