May 12, 2022
Hello,
I recently upgraded from an AMD r9 390 to an RTX 3070 but it performs worse somehow.
In Cs Go on FFA servers with 20 players on it I get like 200 fps average and drops to 100 fps frequently, the GPU usage is around 40% on average. But even on 40% usage I feel like I should get a lot more fps in cs go. I play on 1280 x 960 and mainly low settings. In League of Legends I have like 110-150 fps on 5% - 10% GPU usage.
My GPU fans aren't even spinning while playing if that matters. Only when I open more demanding games the fans will start spinning.
Also since I installed the new GPU my CPU seems to have unusual spikes and usage. It spikes to 30% - 50% just when I open my browser and last time I watched a livestream it was 60%+ consistently.
Maybe i didn't connect the PSU cables properly but I didn't have any problems with my previous GPU and I had 250-300fps without drops.
In the video you might see if I connected it properly and I also don't know what the red blinking light means, it only happens sometimes.

Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONExaFJh1V4

What I already tried: - Setting my RAM to XMP mode = It didn't improve anything but crashing my pc later on.
- Deactivating high precision event timer (I read somewhere that it helped somebody).
- Clean uninstall of my old AMD drivers and Nvidia drivers just for the sake of it via DDU software and install of the new Nvidia drivers.

My specs:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming 7
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 ROG STRIX OC V2 LHR
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3200
PSU: Seasonic G-Series 750W

Hope someone can help me :/
Thanks in advance.

Good to know, thanks. As far as I remember it only happened when I turned my pc off manually while holding my on/off button or when my pc crashed because of the XMP profile.
I doubt my performance issues are attributed to my PSU.
Are those voltage issue LEDs still blinking? If so, it's either your PSU, or GPU, or both.
These are direct sensors in-line with the power inputs. If they still come on then there IS a voltage issue.

May 12, 2022
Are those voltage issue LEDs still blinking? If so, it's either your PSU, or GPU, or both.
These are direct sensors in-line with the power inputs. If they still come on then there IS a voltage issue.
No, they're not blinking still. I've got my GPU for a month now and it only blinked twice, so I don't think that my problem is connected to my PSU.

Ye low resolution and powerful GPU makes u CPU bound. A CPU can only manager so many frames at a time.

'I play on 1280 x 960 and mainly low settings. In League of Legends I have like 110-150 fps on 5% - 10% GPU usage.'

Increase resolution to 1080-1440p and graphics settings.

You are playing very undemanding games and so the GPU is finding them a cake walk. Throw games like Witcher, WarZone, Metro Exodus or Red Dead Redemption 2 and you will see ur GPU got to 90-99% usage.

Cap your framerate to your monitors max framerate so 59, 119 or 143.

Reactions: KyaraM
May 12, 2022
I'm not familiar with Gigabyte bios but there should be a memory overclocking section somewhere I would have thought unless it is a very budget motherboard.
I updated my Bios since I've actually never done it and increased it to 3200Mhz again and now it's fine without any crashes, it improved the performance maybe by 10% but still underwhelming.

May 12, 2022
Ye low resolution and powerful GPU makes u CPU bound. A CPU can only manager so many frames at a time.

'I play on 1280 x 960 and mainly low settings. In League of Legends I have like 110-150 fps on 5% - 10% GPU usage.'

Increase resolution to 1080-1440p and graphics settings.

You are playing very undemanding games and so the GPU is finding them a cake walk. Throw games like Witcher, WarZone, Metro Exodus or Red Dead Redemption 2 and you will see ur GPU got to 90-99% usage.

Cap your framerate to your monitors max framerate so 59, 119 or 143.
Well, in cs go it's more of a preference than to improve performance, so I'd like to keep it at that resolution. Also when I see streamers, they get like 500fps with a similar resolution and settings. Am I really CPU bottlenecking? I thought my CPU was still good, even though not one of the newer generations.

It also doesn't answer why my CPU is generally on such high usage. When opening a new tab in a browser it spikes to 70% or something.
Maybe it really is that my GPU doesn't "want" to work at all so my CPU has to carry all the load but how do I fix it, isn't there any setting for that?

Last edited:
Well, in cs go it's more of a preference than to improve performance, so I'd like to keep it at that resolution. Also when I see streamers, they get like 500fps with a similar resolution and settings. Am I really CPU bottlenecking? I thought my CPU was still good, even though not one of the newer generations.

It also doesn't answer why my CPU is generally on such high usage. When opening a new tab in a browser it spikes to 70% or something.
Maybe it really is that my GPU doesn't "want" to work at all so my CPU has to carry all the load but how do I fix it, isn't there any setting for that?

It takes alot more CPU power to do higher frames than quality of frames. It basically means the GPU is finding is piss easy to create these low graphics frames and so the CPU has to work harder to give the dater sooner as the GPU is completing them to fast. So you become CPU bound.

Well ur preference for 200+ frames is pointless as you get nothing out of it. Any frames above ur hz of ur monitor is getting thrown as in ur never going to see them. You may be getting hundreds of frames but ur only seeing 60, 120 or 144 frames depending on ur hz.

Your CPU cant keep up with the new GPU which is way faster and so is completing frames even faster than ur previous GPU

May 12, 2022
It takes alot more CPU power to do higher frames than quality of frames. It basically means the GPU is finding is piss easy to create these low graphics frames and so the CPU has to work harder to give the dater sooner as the GPU is completing them to fast. So you become CPU bound.

Well ur preference for 200+ frames is pointless as you get nothing out of it. Any frames above ur hz of ur monitor is getting thrown as in ur never going to see them. You may be getting hundreds of frames but ur only seeing 60, 120 or 144 frames depending on ur hz.

Your CPU cant keep up with the new GPU which is way faster and so is completing frames even faster than ur previous GPU
Well I do have a 240hz monitor but I still don't understand why my CPU is working hard if I'm basically idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just watching a YT video and rewinding it even makes my CPU go ham and the temperature spiked to 60% but then back to 33%
The video you posted shows your CPU cooler installed in the least common direction and also showed no CPU fan installed. Normally the fan would be pushing air to the rear of the case although it's not strictly required it be installed that way. Did you uninstall the CPU fan for a reason and did you reinstall it eventually or just never install the fan on your CPU cooler?

May 12, 2022
The video you posted shows your CPU cooler installed in the least common direction and also showed no CPU fan installed. Normally the fan would be pushing air to the rear of the case although it's not strictly required it be installed that way. Did you uninstall the CPU fan for a reason and did you reinstall it eventually or just never install the fan on your CPU cooler?
You can't really see it on the video but the CPU fans are installed, just upwards. I don't know if that's unusual or the right way. I did it with my brother like 5 years ago but it was never a problem.
dqfjhLD.jpg

You can't really see it on the video but the CPU fans are installed, just upwards. I don't know if that's unusual or the right way. I did it with my brother like 5 years ago but it was never a problem.
I don't know why, but I was thinking you had the single tower version.

If you are seeing higher idle and load temps than you had before, you should consider repasting the CPU if you havent done it in 5 years, since that cooler should be keeping your CPU very cool under load. It's possible you are seeing higher temperatures than normal because the thermal paste was disturbed from moving the case around swapping parts. For some thermal pastes, 5 years is a long time and it might have dried up and cracked during the installation of your new GPU.

The possible higher temps might account for lower performance if the CPU is thermal throttling.

May 12, 2022
I don't understand what you mean by the percentages. What are your ambient, idle, and load temperatures in degrees C?
Sorry I meant 31 °C - 33 °C when idle and spiking to 60 °C when I rewind video and do other basic tasks. When I play CS GO where my usage is around 40% my temperatures are around 50 °C - 60 °C, in Ghostrunner CPU usage is around 30-35% and the temperature is around 45 °C -55 °C, occasionally spiking to 60 °C.
Ambient temperature is probably 15 °C