[SOLVED] RTX 3070 - PSU and Cooling Opinions

Freakface109

Honorable
Jun 27, 2016
I saw that the RTX 3070 is going to release at $500 which sounds like an amazing deal, I just have some questions before I make a final decision.

Current Specs:
Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Plus Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: GTX 1050 TI
RAM: 32GB Ripjaws V DDR4 (4x8GB sticks)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+
Storage: 1TB + 500GB Samsung 860 EVO

I saw their recommendation for the 3070 was a 750W PSU, but they were using an i9 10900K and 64GB RAM. From what I could find online, that i9 uses about 60W less than my Ryzen 7 and I also have half the RAM (not sure the affect that has on a PSU). I upgraded my entire computer (excluding GPU) about 2 months ago, and if possible would like to avoid having to go buy another PSU. Would I need to buy a new one, or could I get by on a 500W?

Another thing I am a little worried about is cooling. I have a full tower that probably doesn't have the best airflow - it's an old office tower - with 2 case fans and the stock CPU cooler. I will be looking around for a new case at some point with better airflow hopefully. Will that be enough? Should I look at a better CPU cooler (it's pretty with the LEDs) or more better quality case fans?

I appreciate all the insight you guys can give me!

Solution
I think you need to buy an brand new PSU due to fast its been suggested to use 750W but dont think it worth the risk using an 500W because thats 250W less then what it suggested and just looked its kinda cheap PSU but With your cpu cooler if the games and temps running fine dont think you need one. Also with airflow i would see what happens with your new GPU when you place in case. Because you could always use afterburner to speed up fans or open up the case until you want to get new Case
I think you need to buy an brand new PSU due to fast its been suggested to use 750W but dont think it worth the risk using an 500W because thats 250W less then what it suggested and just looked its kinda cheap PSU but With your cpu cooler if the games and temps running fine dont think you need one. Also with airflow i would see what happens with your new GPU when you place in case. Because you could always use afterburner to speed up fans or open up the case until you want to get new Case

Solution