Question RTX 3070 + Ryzen 9 5900X underperforming. Can anyone tell me why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Hi there! I'm hoping the wise hivemind of Tom's Hardware will help me solve my issue before I reach out to a computer store or whatnot lol.

I have the GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G and I have just installed AMD Ryzen 9 5900X with the Zalman CNPS 10X Performa Black cooler.
I upgraded to the Ryzen 9 from a Ryzen 5 3600.
With the Ryzen 5 3600 I was seeing pretty low FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 (for example). My FPS would be at 43-50s when videos on YouTube had it at 60s (obviously with identical specs and settings).
I was told it was likely the CPU that was the culprit so I upgraded to the Ryzen 9
Well, lo and behold, the FPS is LITERALLY the same. So was it the GPU this whole time? I was under the impression 3070 was a pretty high-end GPU?
I'd normally accept my fate but I have compared my FPS to youtube videos of the same CPU+GPU combo and they have yet again more than 10fps on me. :(

What's worse, I did the Time Spy benchmark in 3D Mark and got over 1000 points below average.
Soooo what gives? What could be the issue? Here's a link to my latest results: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING (3dmark.com)

Here are my GPU specs:
cjylo25.png

(I will mention I have made sure to have the GPU at max performance both in Nvidia CP and in power settings.)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you looked at the TechPowerUp link I provided earlier, you'd see that the cores' max frequencies scale depending on how many of them are active at any time.
It should be able to do ~4.5ghz when all cores are active, with frequency going up from there as core activity decreases. 12 cores active, Cyberpunk does not do, so turbo clocks would be higher than that, but if they're set to not go over 4.2ghz...

The base clock being run at 4.2ghz is some setting...

@kurdtnz , does RM override settings like Intel XTU? Would uninstalling it be necessary?

Reactions: kurdtnz

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
If you looked at the TechPowerUp link I provided earlier, you'd see that the cores' max frequencies scale depending on how many of them are active at any time.
It should be able to do ~4.5ghz when all cores are active, with frequency going up from there as core activity decreases. 12 cores active, Cyberpunk does not do, so turbo clocks would be higher than that, but if they're set to not go over 4.2ghz...

@kurdtnz , does RM override settings like Intel XTU? Would uninstalling it be necessary?

I found a different forum where someone posted that the Asus Optimal setting in BIOS did this so I'll change it tomorrow back to default in BIOS and report back.

To be honest, Im not too sure as I havnt used RM for a while? I think I was having an issue with it so uninstalled but I think it can override some settings.