Question RTX 3070 Ti crashes in games

Apr 14, 2023

Hardware:​

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC 8G
  • RAM: Goodram Iridium DDR4 3200MHz 8 GB x4
  • PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power 11 700W

Last week while playing Minecraft with shaders the game suddenly crashed for no reason. Since that day it started happening on an off. I could play an entire day and no crashes would occur.

Once after Minecraft had crashed it showed the BSOD with the code video scheduler internal error.

The strange thing is that before and after Minecraft crashes the audio starts freezing and crackling and the cursor starts to lag. It feels like the whole system is freezing and lagging.

Last week after Minecraft crashed for the first time the videos on YouTube started to have some strange artifacts. Whenever I would hover my cursor over a video to show the UI the colors in the video would get a little brighter or darker and the whole picture in the video would move a little bit side to side. When the UI was gone the picture would move a little bit again and the colors were back to normal. After a clean driver install the YouTube artifacts seemed to be gone except for the tiny movement but the crashes continued.

I've had this 3070 ti for less than a year. It's never been under a lot of stress. I have an old LG monitor 60Hz and I always played with Vsync. The card was always under 60% load and around 65 degrees. Since I've built this pc I haven't had time to play a lot of games. I'd play for a week or two and then stop for a month or two. The only game that I played aside from Minecraft was Control with RTX on and there were no stutters or artifacts.
But now when I launch Control it's just a black picture. The menu works and I have to change the resolution in game for it to show the picture. But after a few minutes it freezes, crashes and the entire screen turns to static. I have to reboot the pc to fix the screen.

I tried installing an older version of drivers from February but it didn't help. I tried reseating the GPU, unplugging PSU cables and changing the display port.
I tried completely reinstalling Windows but it didn't help. I also tried updating the bios on the motherboard to the latest version. Still the same.

While running the Furmark stress test there were no crashes or artifacts. I ran it for about half an hour and the temps settled at around 78 degrees. I also ran it together with the CPU burner to check if the PSU was at fault and couldn't handle the load. But it didn't crash.
I tried to play Minecraft Windows edition with RTX on after reinstalling Windows and the game started lagging pretty bad. It seemed like it was running at 15 FPS even though it ran smoothly before crashes started happening. For some reason the cursor started moving slower and it feels like the entire system turned a bit sluggish.

I don't have the minidump file since I've reinstalled Windows. But it said there was something wrong with nvoglv64.dll

The entire PC is less then a year old. So all of the parts are practically brand new. Is the GPU on its last breath? Should I be looking at buying a new one? Or is there something else at fault here?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
First troubleshooting step is free, all it costs is a little time.

Remove the GPU, re-insert it. You would be surprised how many faults a GPU can have if it is slightly mis-aligned in the slot. Simple thermal expansion plus a motherboard not put in exactly square or GPU sag.

Benchmarks are interesting, so they load all the data in and then run. Whereas a game will load and unload things constantly, requiring more bandwidth. Same with video decoding, a constant stream across the PCIe bus.

Since you have eliminated software issues, if that doesn't solve things, you can probably still get warranty coverage on that card. Gigabyte standard is three years, so it should be well within that.

Apr 14, 2023
First troubleshooting step is free, all it costs is a little time.

Remove the GPU, re-insert it. You would be surprised how many faults a GPU can have if it is slightly mis-aligned in the slot. Simple thermal expansion plus a motherboard not put in exactly square or GPU sag.

Benchmarks are interesting, so they load all the data in and then run. Whereas a game will load and unload things constantly, requiring more bandwidth. Same with video decoding, a constant stream across the PCIe bus.

Since you have eliminated software issues, if that doesn't solve things, you can probably still get warranty coverage on that card. Gigabyte standard is three years, so it should be well within that.
I'm gonna try that. Unfortunately I cannot send the card to Gigabyte since I bought it from a small PC shop which is not an official reseller. By the marking on the card it seems like it was imported from China. There's only one official reseller of PC parts in the country but the prices are way too high there and the only way to get PC part for a good price is by ordering from Amazon, Aliexpress which takes months or buying from a small PC shop which is what I ended up doing

Apr 14, 2023
The issue seems to have been fixed. Before I reinstalled Windows I went through the event manager to see what kind of events it'd recorded on the day of the first crash. There was only one Error which read that Windows couldn't install the update successfully. I tried repairing Windows files and reinstalling drivers but that didn't help. After I completely reinstalled Windows I tried running Minecraft again and it crashed so I thought it was for the same reason but no. I forgot to allocate enough memory to it. It ran fine with shaders for a few hours without crashing. I also tried to play Outlast 2 for half an hour and it seemed to be working just fine. I hope that it was Windows that was causing artifacts and crashes but I'm not sure. But so far so good. I'm gonna try to download some more games and see how it's gonna go

Apr 14, 2023
Update. After Windows installed updates yesterday the issues came back on the clean Windows install. I don't know which update exactly causes these issues. But the issues are back. What can I do?
I'm not sure if there's a correlation between these two factors but it does seem like it might be some Windows update that is to blame. Because on the day of the first crash Windows installed some update and yesterday the same thing happened. Maybe it's just some lucky coincidence

Last edited: