[SOLVED] RTX 3070 Ti runs hot 10 degrees then before

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hi.

RTX 3070 Ti Asus TUF Gaming. From first day of use it never passed 72, usually sit at 66-68 degrees on maximum load [two months of use].
One month I didnt use it and now temps are 77-79 degrees.

Case is clean, dust free, airflow good, [front coolers intake air direct to the gpu], gpu never opened in warranty.

What it could be the problem?

Solution
1)Using MS Industrial Cyclops IV.
2)Changed to MS Industrial Metropolis Pro. Thermals went up.
3)Changed fans around, thermals improved, but are still not what they were before in the Cyclops IV.
?)Applied a custom gpu fan curve. Thermals did not change from #2.

Looking at images of both the Cyclops IV and Metropolis Pro... this looks like both airflow and air pressure are involved.
The Cyclops IV looks to be more porous than the Metro Pro; I see more ways for air to get to the gpu. Front, bottom, and rear - all possible.

The Metro Pro looks like a negative pressure chassis. I only really see rear intake through the PCIe slots. The psu shroud is completely solid, and the front ventilation... wow, that's it? That is not good.
When...

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Update the GPU driver to the latest Via device manager or any other third party software and Then run benchmarks and post the results please :) Im sure ill be able to help
Driver is already latest. I changed the PC case. I had MS Industrial Cyclops IV Gaming and now MS Industrial Metropolis Pro.
When I open side panel temps are dropping for 12 degrees. From 78 to 65.
Could be bad airflow?

You can try setting the top fans as exhaust, this should help extract hot air from the case. You might be able to upgrade the fans to better quality ones if the current fans are low quality.

My guess would be in this case the front intake fans are providing very little cool air to below the gpu with most air going over the top. The gpu takes air in from the bottom. Also with a solid front panel the intake fans are probably providing poor airflow to start with.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
You can try setting the top fans as exhaust, this should help extract hot air from the case. You might be able to upgrade the fans to better quality ones if the current fans are low quality.

My guess would be in this case the front intake fans are providing very little cool air to below the gpu with most air going over the top. The gpu takes air in from the bottom. Also with a solid front panel the intake fans are probably providing poor airflow to start with.
Front one case fan next to the gpu is really bad and old. I ordered better one and I'll post results.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotas1

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Temps are going till 80 with closed case. Open case is 67-69. What is going on. I moved case fan around gpu and temps are pretty much the same.
It wasnt like that before. I barely get 70 degrees... now its 10 degrees more.
Edit: Fan curve is set like usual 50 degrees 50%, 60 degress 65%, 70 degrees 75%...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I want to bet it's the gpu's thermal paste.
Gpus have gotten hotter and more power hungry, but I guess since the manufacturers continue to use the same ol' paste, it's not holding up as well.

I don't see anywhere where you mentioned ever changing anything, and suddenly - BAM - it's different. That guess, and the next 2 guesses are based on what you've provided so far:
-dust. Gpu not dusted out as well as you claim. There are hard to reach areas that the aerosol cans and data vacs don't get if you don't take the gpu apart.
-ambient temperatures have gone up from back then to now.

Reactions: vladakv

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
For now I switched off fan curve on msi afterburner [before that problem I never used fan curve] and now temps are pretty much like before. Max 75 degrees on 98% fans. I hope nothing could be bad with these setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For now I switched off fan curve on msi afterburner [before that problem I never used fan curve] and now temps are pretty much like before. Max 75 degrees on 98% fans. I hope nothing could be bad with these setup.
I think this would relate more to a change in air pressure from using the custom curve.
There was an LTT video about that a few days ago, but below, there's a post from GN Steve correcting the video that it's not turbulence, but changes in pressure.

So, was your custom fan curve more aggressive, or more passive than the default fan curve?

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Deafult fan curve is more aggresive and custom is not [msi afterburner one].
Previous case was identical, airflow also, but temps were better. Idk, I'll check what Steve told.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think there needs to be a timeline of sorts. You added important details later in that may be causing some confusion.

First?)A month ago, thermals were fine.
?)
?)
?)
Last?)Thermals are still good, but not what they were a month ago.

)I changed chassis.
)I changed gpu fan curves.
)I changed fan orientation.

Reactions: dotas1

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I think there needs to be a timeline of sorts. You added important details later in that may be causing some confusion.

First?)A month ago, thermals were fine.
?)
?)
?)
Last?)Thermals are still good, but not what they were a month ago.

)I changed chassis.
)I changed gpu fan curves.
)I changed fan orientation.
Yes, confusing.
On my first case MS Industrial Cyclops IV gaming temps of gpu were fine 65-68 degrees. I didnt use pc for one month and in that time I changed pc case to MS Industrial Metropolis Pro.
In that pc case temps of gpu were 74-80 degrees. I reseat gpu and changed few case fan positions and now temps of gpu are 70-72 with auto fan at 85-90% [fan 0% till 45 degrees]
When I open case temps are dropping for 8-10 degrees.
Is this normal auto fan curve and temps for this gpu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3)Changed fans around, thermals improved, but are still not what they were before in the Cyclops IV.

Looking at images of both the Cyclops IV and Metropolis Pro... this looks like both airflow and air pressure are involved.
The Cyclops IV looks to be more porous than the Metro Pro; I see more ways for air to get to the gpu. Front, bottom, and rear - all possible.

The Metro Pro looks like a negative pressure chassis. I only really see rear intake through the PCIe slots. The psu shroud is completely solid, and the front ventilation... wow, that's it? That is not good.
When fans are choked like that: they can't bring air in through the front, but they're going to get it from somewhere, even if that's the air already inside the PC.
The gpu's main source of air is through those PCIe slots, not the front. Trying to force front intake is having the opposite effect.

Remove the front fans. Also remove the PCIe slot guards, as doing so will enhance air intake from there. If you've got nosy kids, or small roaming pets around, then it's probably a good idea to let the guards stay where they are.

Reactions: vladakv
Solution

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016

When fans are choked like that: they can't bring air in through the front, but they're going to get it from somewhere, even if that's the air already inside the PC.
The gpu's main source of air is through those PCIe slots, not the front. Trying to force front intake is having the opposite effect.

Remove the front fans. Also remove the PCIe slot guards, as doing so will enhance air intake from there. If you've got nosy kids, or small roaming pets around, then it's probably a good idea to let the guards stay where they are.
Thank you for the answer.
This is the temps after playing TC Ghost Recon Wildlands for 30 minutes.:

View: https://imgur.com/w8t2Rgr

Idle temps with autocurve (fans switched off) is 31 degrees, cpu 29C with low rpm cooler.

I'll do what you suggest and give a feedback. Cheers.

EDIT: Fans go 93% on 71 degrees.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016

Thank you very much for help. You really solved me a problem.
Temp of gpu is MAX 67C, most of times laying on 65-66. I did almost everything what you said.
Here are pics how it looks. On my hand I added one case cooler under gpu, two front for intake [upper for cpu, bottom for gpu], two case coolers for exhaust and removed pci slot guards.
Only gpu memory junction was 78 degrees. I guess its normal.

Again, thank you.

EDIT:
View: https://imgur.com/G9fiIbw

View: https://imgur.com/r5J9BKU