Question RTX 3070 Underperforming Massively

May 1, 2023
I recently got a RTX 3070 that was previously used for mining. I have noticed that my fps in most games and activities perform normally, but when it comes to harder games to run, such as Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us, Elden Ring, and God of War, my GPU really drops off hard. Cyberpunk on low graphics, no raytracing, and DLSS enabled to performance clocks in at around 35-50 FPS. I have overclocked it and ran benchmarks to see if it was my GPU or another part that was affecting it. I have made sure to update my GPU Drivers and Bios as well. A possibility that has come to mind is that my GPU has a slight sag. I've looked up answers online and saw that it shouldn't affect performance, but I thought I might as well throw it in there. I also run dual monitor setup that both have a 1920x1080 resolution.

My PC Specs are:
CPU: I7-12700KF
GPU: RTX 3070
RAM: 32 GB (2 16 GB Sticks)
Motherboard: TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
PSU: Corsair RM 750X
Storage: 1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVME and 1 WD Blue SN570 1 TB NVME

The benchmark can be seen here:

kanewolf

Titan
I recently got a RTX 3070 that was previously used for mining. I have noticed that my fps in most games and activities perform normally, but when it comes to harder games to run, such as Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us, Elden Ring, and God of War, my GPU really drops off hard. Cyberpunk on low graphics, no raytracing, and DLSS enabled to performance clocks in at around 35-50 FPS. I have overclocked it and ran benchmarks to see if it was my GPU or another part that was affecting it. I have made sure to update my GPU Drivers and Bios as well. A possibility that has come to mind is that my GPU has a slight sag. I've looked up answers online and saw that it shouldn't affect performance, but I thought I might as well throw it in there. I also run dual monitor setup that both have a 1920x1080 resolution.

My PC Specs are:
CPU: I7-12700KF
GPU: RTX 3070
RAM: 32 GB (2 16 GB Sticks)
Motherboard: TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
PSU: Corsair RM 750X
Storage: 1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVME and 1 WD Blue SN570 1 TB NVME

The benchmark can be seen here:
First thing you need to address is the 57% background utilization. Until that is fixed, your results are not valid, IMO.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023
First thing you need to address is the 57% background utilization. Until that is fixed, your results are not valid, IMO.
That is true. I ended up closing wallpaper engine to reduce the background usage and it appears to have helped. The issue is though, is that I left task manager open to see the background usage and it only ever spiked when it came to the CPU Benchmark. I also ended up getting a lower benchmark result for my GPU as well. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61197447

That is true. I ended up closing wallpaper engine to reduce the background usage and it appears to have helped. The issue is though, is that I left task manager open to see the background usage and it only ever spiked when it came to the CPU Benchmark. I also ended up getting a lower benchmark result for my GPU as well. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61197447
39% is still outrageous!! Should be in low single digit.

Download the latest Nvidia driver for your GPU.

Download and run DDU in safemode to remove Nvidia drivers. Before restart, disconnect PC from internet.

Upon reboot, go ahead and install the driver you previously downloaded.

May 1, 2023
39% is still outrageous!! Should be in low single digit.

Download the latest Nvidia driver for your GPU.

Download and run DDU in safemode to remove Nvidia drivers. Before restart, disconnect PC from internet.

Upon reboot, go ahead and install the driver you previously downloaded.
That did it for me, thanks! I still do have the underlying issue of high cpu background usage. I do have task manager open on my second monitor and during the benchmark, the only thing using my CPU is the benchmark itself, so I don't know if that is just an error on the benchmarks end or what. It doesn't seem to affect anything though. I used to get 35-50 frames on low graphics with no raytracing and dlss on cyberpunk, but now I am getting an avg of 75 fps on maxed out settings with raytracing and dlss. Thanks for the help though!

May 1, 2023
That did it for me, thanks! I still do have the underlying issue of high cpu background usage. I do have task manager open on my second monitor and during the benchmark, the only thing using my CPU is the benchmark itself, so I don't know if that is just an error on the benchmarks end or what. It doesn't seem to affect anything though. I used to get 35-50 frames on low graphics with no raytracing and dlss on cyberpunk, but now I am getting an avg of 75 fps on maxed out settings with raytracing and dlss. Thanks for the help though!
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61199048 forgot to send results

Reactions: drivinfast247