[SOLVED] RTX 3070 Underperforming?!

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
So i've recently upgraded to a RTX 3070 replacing my RX 580 but i have found on games like GTA V im getting fps drops from like 100 to 60/70fps on high settings? Surely with a card like a 3070 it should be above 100fps but im not sure why im not getting that, I have tried overclocking which works a bit but frames still kinda drop, my drivers are updated too and ive changed settings in my nvidia control panel to maximise performance instead of quality, i doubt its bottlenecking either because ive read/seen that a 3600 works fine with a 3070 so idk what else i could do,

My specs are

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus b450-f gaming M/b
TridentZ 16GB RAM @ 3600MHZ
MSI Suprim X 3070
2X Crucial SSD 250GB and 1TB
2TB Seagate HDD
750W Seasonic Gold Modular PSU

Solution
You just took a rather sizable leap in graphics ability, but haven't changed the gpu's input. The cpu is still giving the gpu the same amount of frames to work with.

And the cpu is just as limited as the gpu is by in-game settings. So if thinking about bumping up the settings from medium to high, just because you got a better gpu, and expecting crazy high fps results, a lot of ppl come away disappointed and thinking the gpu is under performing, when realistically they are the ones whom have hampered their fps to start with.

Viewing distance is very much cpu. The cpu has to place objects, figure out scaling etc per frame. The farther away you set viewing distance, the more objects have to be placed. And that changes with canned...

tecmo34

Administrator
When you went from the RX 580 to RTX 3070, did you utilize DDU in Safe Mode to remove the AMD drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers?

What is your monitor resolution? 1080p is still move CPU driven versus GPU. Once at or over 1440p, the GPU starts taking a larger role.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
When you went from the RX 580 to RTX 3070, did you utilize DDU in Safe Mode to remove the AMD drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers?

What is your monitor resolution? 1080p is still move CPU driven versus GPU. Once at or over 1440p, the GPU starts taking a larger role.
OOps forgot about that but yes i have used DDU to remove the AMD Drivers in Safe mode My monitor resolution is also 1080p

tecmo34

Administrator
Since it is 1080p, I would recommend going into your game and lower all your settings to see if you see much of a difference. If you don't see really a difference, the game in more CPU bottlenecked, and less work being done by the GPU.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Since it is 1080p, I would recommend going into your game and lower all your settings to see if you see much of a difference. If you don't see really a difference, the game in more CPU bottlenecked, and less work being done by the GPU.
Okay I'll give it a try when i can and I'll let you know what happens!

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Idk if a clean install of windows will help fix everything but thats the only thing i've not tried yet, but i do not want to lose my files for uni work and stuff

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You just took a rather sizable leap in graphics ability, but haven't changed the gpu's input. The cpu is still giving the gpu the same amount of frames to work with.

And the cpu is just as limited as the gpu is by in-game settings. So if thinking about bumping up the settings from medium to high, just because you got a better gpu, and expecting crazy high fps results, a lot of ppl come away disappointed and thinking the gpu is under performing, when realistically they are the ones whom have hampered their fps to start with.

Viewing distance is very much cpu. The cpu has to place objects, figure out scaling etc per frame. The farther away you set viewing distance, the more objects have to be placed. And that changes with canned settings. At Low distance, you might see 10 trees detailed, at Medium there might be 50 trees detailed and at Ultra (very long distance) you may see 1000 trees detailed. The cpu has to place all those trees, branches, leaves, critters like squirrels, birds perching etc. And fps drops as a result. Nothing to do with the gpu, it's all cpu bound.

That's going to apply to every scenario, from physX detailing of explosion splatters and particle vectors, anti-aliasing and a bunch of other settings.

Graphically, at 1080p with a 3070 in GtaV you should be cpu limited for fps. Unless you forcibly make the gpu work harder with graphics settings like Raytracing or DSR which renders the picture in 4k initially, then downgrades to fit a 1080p resolution.

I suspect there's multiple settings that are taxing the cpu a lot more than is necessary, killing fps input, consequently hurting gpu output.

Reactions: RagedAPE
Solution