[SOLVED] RTX 3070 vs RTX 3080 vs RX 6800XT

Dreamstreet

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
So I'm still trying to figure out which GPU to go with my new CPU which is a Ryzen 7 5800X. I'm stuck between RTX 3070 because it was the cheapest of the choices, RTX 3080 and RX 6800XT, as they look more future proof.

I'm not sure which one is the best choice. It's mainly if the RTX 3080 and RX 6800XT as so much better than RTX 3070 that it worth paying that much more for one of them. Secondly which one of RTX 3080 and RX 6800XT is the better choice for 1080/1440 gaming. Thirdly which of them would be able to be relevant for as long as my CPU.

Usually I game WoW, Football Manager, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Fallout and games such as those. Other than that, I also do video editing and rendering.

Solution
I think it mostly comes down to whether you care about ray tracing at all, whether you want ray tracing that allows for good fps in games and whether you are interested in DLSS 2.0 for improved fps at a small loss of image quality or no loss at all. If yes to all three, buy an Nvida RTX 30 series card.

If you care more about high fps without ray tracing and don't care about DLSS (though you really should because it's a literal game changer) you should buy AMD. AMD has their own DLSS in the works, but no news on when it might be released and may have the same problem with ray tracing on AMD cards, that it may be worse than Nvidia's second generation of their tech and software with the RTX 30 series.

JT0025

Reputable
Oct 30, 2020
What resolution do you plan on gaming in? If its not 4K the 3070 is def the best bang for the buck between those 3 choices. If you're doing 4K gaming then go with 1 of the other 2.

Dreamstreet

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
1080p/1440p either one or the other?

Don't try to future proof their no such thing any card you buy today can be replaced in a couple years with much better cards.

You can Google VS with the cards and get a ton of benchmarks.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp
I've mainly played in 1080p since I've only used a GTX 1660TI so far. As for the future profing, sorry that I didn't state it, but I wanted to buy something that would be able to handle games at highest settings with high FPS for at least 2-3 years to come.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've mainly played in 1080p since I've only used a GTX 1660TI so far. As for the future profing, sorry that I didn't state it, but I wanted to buy something that would be able to handle games at highest settings with high FPS for at least 2-3 years to come.
Thirdly which of them would be able to be relevant for as long as my CPU

Your CPU should be good at least 5 years.
RTX 3070 for 1080p gaming. Your not going to max out all the poorly optimized games with high settings and high FPS but would be a good choice. 3070 or 3080 for 1440p

Most of the time when you buy a good processor you can expect to upgrade the video card 1 time and still have a good gaming PC.

Reactions: Dreamstreet
I think it mostly comes down to whether you care about ray tracing at all, whether you want ray tracing that allows for good fps in games and whether you are interested in DLSS 2.0 for improved fps at a small loss of image quality or no loss at all. If yes to all three, buy an Nvida RTX 30 series card.

If you care more about high fps without ray tracing and don't care about DLSS (though you really should because it's a literal game changer) you should buy AMD. AMD has their own DLSS in the works, but no news on when it might be released and may have the same problem with ray tracing on AMD cards, that it may be worse than Nvidia's second generation of their tech and software with the RTX 30 series.

Solution

Dreamstreet

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017

And RTX 3070 should also be able to use ray tracing and DLSS in as well as 3080? Just want to be sure, in case they make the gaming experience that much better.

And RTX 3070 should also be able to use ray tracing and DLSS in as well as 3080? Just want to be sure, in case they make the gaming experience that much better.
All RTX cards can be used for ray tracing and DLSS. RTX is Nvidia's ray tracing series designation. As far as I know DLSS won't be available on older hardware or the GTX 16 series (like the 1660 Super) and is only available on RTX cards.

Dreamstreet

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
All RTX cards can be used for ray tracing and DLSS. RTX is Nvidia's ray tracing series designation. As far as I know DLSS won't be available on older hardware or the GTX 16 series (like the 1660 Super) and is only available on RTX cards.
All right, then RTX 3070 sounds like the best choice, since I'm probably not going to play a lot in 4K resolution yet.

Dec 29, 2020
I have done lots of research about this. RTX 3070 is for 1080p at ultra settings with enough CPU and Ram. If you never play at 2K, this is your answer.
3080 and 6800XT is more for 1440p at ultra settings.
If you are planning to stream at the same time, 3080 or 6800XT is better.
6800XT beats 3080 in some games. Most of time they are same. If you don't care about Ray Tracing, buy the cheaper one as 6800XT. You won't regret it as their performance is the same.
But read lots of articles, watch benchmark and comparison videos and then decide.