[SOLVED] Rtx 3070 will my cpu die?

Dec 22, 2020
I have an i7 6700k 4GHz 32GB ram and am looking to update my gtx 1080 gpu and the 3070 has caught my eye. I have checked bottleneck calculator and have had mixed results. At 1440p it says it’s fine but only in that resolution. Do you think my cpu will bottleneck the card to the point of not being worth the upgrade?

Solution
Your cpu will not die!!

"bottleneck calculator" is junk science.
They have no idea if your games are cpu limited or graphics limited.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your 6700K is still a competent processor.
A 3070...
Bottleneck calculators are total GARBAGE. I was curious some years ago and tried some to see how crap they are.
Same website gave me more than 7 different results with the same system setup in the span of 2 years. Don't trust them.

You should buy the best gpu you can afford. It can always be kept for when you upgrade the rest of your system.

What is the exact make and model of your PSU?

Reactions: Nicknoo
Your cpu will not die!!

less effective.

Run this simple test:
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

A 3070 is likely to be a good upgrade if you play at higher resolutions and games that are fast action.

Solution
Dec 22, 2020
Your cpu will not die!!

less effective.

Run this simple test:

A 3070 is likely to be a good upgrade if you play at higher resolutions and games that are fast action.
Tbh I think maybe my motherboard might be the issue with upgrading to the 3070. I have a Asrock z170 pro4s board and I not sure it’s compatible.

Dec 22, 2020
Bottleneck calculators are total GARBAGE. I was curious some years ago and tried some to see how crap they are.
Same website gave me more than 7 different results with the same system setup in the span of 2 years. Don't trust them.

You should buy the best gpu you can afford. It can always be kept for when you upgrade the rest of your system.

What is the exact make and model of your PSU?
My psu is a Corsair cv650. I have a feeling my motherboard will be the issue. I have a Asrock z170 pro4s and I have been told it may not be compatible.

My psu is a Corsair cv650. I have a feeling my motherboard will be the issue. I have a Asrock z170 pro4s and I have been told it may not be compatible.
Your motherboard is compatible. Your issue is the PSU. CV series from corsair are mediocre to bad PSUs and are recommended only for office PCs and not meant to power a gaming rig.

You should upgrade to a more reliable and higher quality PSU. Pick from the following list anything that is tier B and above.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/111...P1nVVXDWGGEaRpU_drvf7BLf6YlsEKr1ORxe6g6nccuFU

Corsair VS650 is not considered good quality.
Tier 5/6 on this list:
It is not considered dangerous, just more prone to failure.

But, the unit does have the required power for a stock 3070 card.
( no telling what a highly overclocked 3070 might require, avoid them)

You can reasonably run a 3070 on your system, all modern motherboards accept pcie x16 graphics cards.

Put in your plans a upgrade to a quality psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
It will serve you for many future upgrades.

Reactions: Nicknoo
Dec 22, 2020
Corsair VS650 is not considered good quality.
Tier 5/6 on this list:
It is not considered dangerous, just more prone to failure.

But, the unit does have the required power for a stock 3070 card.
( no telling what a highly overclocked 3070 might require, avoid them)

You can reasonably run a 3070 on your system, all modern motherboards accept pcie x16 graphics cards.

Put in your plans a upgrade to a quality psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
It will serve you for many future upgrades.
Thanks for the info.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 1 real consideration. Just what resolution the monitor is. The 1080 is no slouch with detail settings, it'll run ultra in most all games without issue, only the really complex ultra realistic games brand new on the shelf might give it pause.

3060ti is the cure for 1080p. The 3070 is designed to do at 1440p what a 3060ti can do at 1080p. The 3080 is 4k.
No, it would worth the upgrade, you may get some fps less, but it would be fine, and your CPU will not die.

However, your computer is already 5 years old, and you must plan an upgrade maybe with a 11th generation Intel i7.
Say what? I don't think so. Some fps less? Not really. Fps is from the cpu. The gpu either lives upto that number, or fails. And that'll be determined by the strength of the gpu, the detail settings and the resolution.

And that's the kicker. At higher resolutions like 1440p/4k, games are less dependent on the cpu and more dependent on the gpu to maintain fps. As long as the gpu is strong enough to maintain minimum fps above the refresh of the monitor, maximum fps is a moot point. Since fps is cpu bound, resolution has no real affect there, the cpu will kick out the same fps regardless of 1080p or 4k.

Dont bother planning on any specific upgrade, nobody can predict the future with any sense of reliability. As long as the cpu can accomplish what is required, 1 yr, 5 yrs or 10 yrs old is immaterial. It's only when the cpu fails expectations that an upgrade is warranted. Some ppl just want to play and aren't really concerned with having record breaking benchmark scores.