Question Rtx 3070 with only 500watt psu Lenovo?

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

My son consider to buy a pre build gaming pc.

Here is the spec:
i7 12700
Rtx 3070
16gb ram, one ssd and one hdd.
500watt psu.

Only negatives is that i see it have only 500watt psu, nvidia recomend 650w psu for the card i think, what could happen in the worst case and how can a solid brand like Lenovo sell something that have under the recomended spec for a psu?

Store is going to sell it out for 30% off so it’s a good price, about 1100 dollar, it same as i paid for a 4070ti card alone. But could the 500w psu be a deal breaker?

those pre build systems usually have very bad motherboards and power supplies
(if the retailer does not specify what model it is than it´s some generic no name bad quality unit)
16gb of ram is also on the edge for gaming and general use already .
rtx 3070 and its 8gb of VRAM is also not looking very good for high/ultra gaming in the next 2 years .

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($192.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 Ultra Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card ($400.69 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($83.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG CORE Reactor 750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1199.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-20 18:18 EDT-0400

for almost the same price you have graphics card as powerful as rtx 3070 but with 12gb of VRAM
instead of 8gb , 2x more system memory , good enough processor and much better motherboard
and power supply .

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellerman88

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Appreciate that you added a full build for best money, would definitly felt better to go that route but here it would been taxes and im not familiar with building a pc from bottom unfortunatly, but maby he would do it himself when he get older and can earn his own money :)

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I would never recommend getting a "brand-in-a-box" desktop PC because it'll be a technological dead-end. Like Kellerman88 says, the PSU and motherboard will be crap and will probably not be ATX standard.

I realise that not everyone knows how to build a PC but there are literally dozens of videos on YouTube that provide detailed step-by-step instructions that are very easy for a novice to follow.

I also would never recommend an RTX 3070 to ANYONE. That card is already becoming crippled by the fact that it has an undersized frame buffer of only 8GB.

It's also horribly overpriced. Just look at this comparison between it and the RX 6800 XT, a card with twice as much VRAM at 16GB:

RTX 3070:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB: $530
RX 6800 XT:
Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Pulse 16GB: $520

Now look at the performance difference between them (credit to Techspot):
1440p.png

The problems with only having 8GB are chronicled here:

Even if he does go with Lenovo, make sure that whatever video card he chooses has at least 12GB of VRAM.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I would never recommend getting a "brand-in-a-box" desktop PC because it'll be a technological dead-end. Like Kellerman88 says, the PSU and motherboard will be crap and will probably not be ATX standard.

I realise that not everyone knows how to build a PC but there are literally dozens of videos on YouTube that provide detailed step-by-step instructions that are very easy for a novice to follow.

I also would never recommend an RTX 3070 to ANYONE. That card is already becoming crippled by the fact that it has an undersized frame buffer of only 8GB.

It's also horribly overpriced. Just look at this comparison between it and the RX 6800 XT, a card with twice as much VRAM at 16GB:

RTX 3070:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB: $530
RX 6800 XT:
Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Pulse 16GB: $520

Now look at the performance difference between them (credit to Techspot):
1440p.png

The problems with only having 8GB are chronicled here:

Even if he does go with Lenovo, make sure that whatever video card he chooses has at least 12GB of VRAM.
Thanks for good information! I never considered amd card, so what is kinda the difference between them? Do they have same raytracing, same quality or same boost like dlss?

Definitly more for money with the rx 6800 xt, it seems like a 3080 competitor for less money.

Thanks for good information! I never considered amd card, so what is kinda the difference between them? Do they have same raytracing, same quality or same boost like dlss?

Definitly more for money with the rx 6800 xt, it seems like a 3080 competitor for less money.
The ray-tracing performance is certainly inferior but ray-tracing is more of a gimmick than anything else these days and most people try it out once, decide that it's not worth the FPS hit (both Radeon and GeForce owners) and don't really use it. I look at RT like this: 99% of the time you don't notice it and the 1% of the time that you do, you don't care.

The biggest advantage of the RX 6800 XT over the RTX 3080 is the increased VRAM. That means the card will be able to game at max settings for years longer because 10GB is not enough for a card as powerful as the RTX 3080. You'll end up being stuck with a card that has more than enough GPU horsepower to play a game at max settings but not enough VRAM. It's like having a Ryzen 9 7900X with only 10GB of RAM. Your CPU is powerful enough to do so many amazing things but with only 10GB of RAM, it's hindered and you can't add any more to fix the problem. I can tell you from experience that it's annoying because it happened to my R9 Fury but at least I got that thing for cheap. The same can't be said about the RTX 3070.

I do personally own an RX 6800 XT and it's amazing. With its 16GB of VRAM, I won't be having any VRAM issues before the GPU itself is too weak. I know that I made the right choice when I got this baby:
41ukBwoPBrL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Reactions: Kellerman88

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
The ray-tracing performance is certainly inferior but ray-tracing is more of a gimmick than anything else these days and most people try it out once, decide that it's not worth the FPS hit (both Radeon and GeForce owners) and don't really use it. I look at RT like this: 99% of the time you don't notice it and the 1% of the time that you do, you don't care.

The biggest advantage of the RX 6800 XT over the RTX 3080 is the increased VRAM. That means the card will be able to game at max settings for years longer because 10GB is not enough for a card as powerful as the RTX 3080. You'll end up being stuck with a card that has more than enough GPU horsepower to play a game at max settings but not enough VRAM. It's like having a Ryzen 9 7900X with only 10GB of RAM. Your CPU is powerful enough to do so many amazing things but with only 10GB of RAM, it's hindered and you can't add any more to fix the problem. I can tell you from experience that it's annoying because it happened to my R9 Fury but at least I got that thing for cheap. The same can't be said about the RTX 3070.

I do personally own an RX 6800 XT and it's amazing. With its 16GB of VRAM, I won't be having any VRAM issues before the GPU itself is too weak. I know that I made the right choice when I got this baby:
41ukBwoPBrL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Yes i see, so all ultra settings depend on the vram, so what do you think about rx 6800xt vs rx 6900xt? Vs rtx 4070ti that i have today?

I only have 12 gb, and i still have open purchase so i could return it if i want, i was not aware of it, on YouTube performence videos the seems like rx 6900xt is between 4070-4070ti when it comes to fps count in 4K? I thought vram was the reason for doing more fps but i see i was wrong, so ultra settings with 16gb would kick off more fps in the future titles but not with todays games?

If i trade it out for a 16gb nvidia i must pay a fortune so thats why i ended up with rtx 4070ti 12gb and still feel i paid too much vs what i get

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yes i see, so all ultra settings depend on the vram, so what do you think about rx 6800xt vs rx 6900xt? Vs rtx 4070ti that i have today?

I only have 12 gb, and i still have open purchase so i could return it if i want, i was not aware of it, on YouTube performence videos the seems like rx 6900xt is between 4070-4070ti when it comes to fps count in 4K? I thought vram was the reason for doing more fps but i see i was wrong, so ultra settings with 16gb would kick off more fps in the future titles but not with todays games?
If you're just a gamer and don't care about ray-tracing, then the RX 6950 XT would've been a better choice than the RTX 4070 Ti. The gaming performance is about the same but the RX 6950 XT has 4GB more VRAM and costs a lot less money.
If i trade it out for a 16gb nvidia i must pay a fortune so thats why i ended up with rtx 4070ti 12gb and still feel i paid too much vs what i get
I'm sure that you did pay too much for what you got. This is why I haven't used a GeForce card since my Palit GeForce 8500 GT that I got back in 2007. Once I bought my XFX Radeon HD 4870 to replace it, I never looked back. I've only had Radeons since then and I've been completely happy with them.

I used to work at Tiger Direct and this is what I did for a living. People told me what they wanted their computers for and what their budget was. I would help them stretch every dollar that they had and because of that, I became extremely popular with customers because they trusted that I would screw them over.

If you tell me what country you're in and what your budget is, I will find you a card that maximises every bit of money in your budget. It will have incredible performance and will stand the test of time by keeping great performance for longer than other cards sold today. I guarantee that it will be the best bargain that you can get. Helping people save money (especially in this day and age) makes me quite happy.