Question RTX 3080+3900x

Oct 6, 2020
I recently upgraded from my 2070 to a 3080 FE. I noticed as soon as I loaded Warzone that the fps I was getting wasn't what I was expecting. It wasn't bad avg 160-180. I understand at 1080p it might be caused by my cpu, until recently in a match I dropped all the way to 8 fps? gpu usage was around 70% as well as cpu usage. I tried overclocking my cpu through ryzen master but I didn't see any fps boost. I also tried nvidias new performance scanner which boosted my gpu +132 mhz and still no fps difference.

My specs are
-3900x Ryzen
-RTX 3080
-3200mhz 16gb trident z
-Aorus pro Wifi x570

Latest motherboard BIOS version?

Latest AMD X570 chipset drivers?

Did you do a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers when you swapped cards, using the DDU? Even though they are both Nvidia cards, they are entirely different architectures so doing a clean install by completely removing the existing driver framework and registry entries, using the DDU, then installing the latest driver version, would be a really good idea.

It would also be a really good idea to monitor your thermals and power level usage in Ryzen master and HWinfo to see if there is a thermal or throttling situation going on.

What is the model of your CPU cooler, case, number of case fans, location and orientation of each case fan and ambient room temperature?

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 6, 2020

Did you do a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers when you swapped cards, using the DDU? Even though they are both Nvidia cards, they are entirely different architectures so doing a clean install by completely removing the existing driver framework and registry entries, using the DDU, then installing the latest driver version, would be a really good idea.

It would also be a really good idea to monitor your thermals and power level usage in Ryzen master and HWinfo to see if there is a thermal or throttling situation going on.

What is the model of your CPU cooler, case, number of case fans, location and orientation of each case fan and ambient room temperature?
My cpu cooler is a kraken x63, h510 elite, 2 exhaust one top one rear and radiador mounted on front panel. my cpu temps during gaming are around 60-70C playing warzone and my gpu temp is around 60C. I tried DDU as well as updating bios and chipset. I also uninstalled game and installed it in a new ssd as other people mentioned. At this point I'm not sure if its an amd problem or just my cpu bottlenecking but it amazes me how I see very little performance increase using my 2070 in warzone to now using 3080

Oct 6, 2020

I would also like to mention I see very small difference in fps if my game is all low setting or all high settings.

Oct 6, 2020
It would be fine if there wasn't constant fps drops. I just tried playing after doing every sugestion and I was getting as low as 120fps. which is less than I was getting on my 2070

You should, there is something else going on.

Open Ryzen master while gaming, and when you see a major dips take a look at the core temps to see if maybe it's a temperature related issue. What power plan to you have it set to in windows power options?

WHICH DIMM slots, exactly, are your memory modules installed in?

After doing a clean install did you then install the LAN/Ethernet, audio and wireless drivers from the motherboard product page, the X570 chipset drivers from the AMD website and the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website?

What exact PSU model are you running all this with?

Have you checked your Vsync settings in Nvidia control panel to see if that might be screwing things up?

Oct 6, 2020
Insteresting, maybe Warzone is one of the games that is not downscaling as grea
You should, there is something else going on.

Open Ryzen master while gaming, and when you see a major dips take a look at the core temps to see if maybe it's a temperature related issue. What power plan to you have it set to in windows power options?

WHICH DIMM slots, exactly, are your memory modules installed in?

After doing a clean install did you then install the LAN/Ethernet, audio and wireless drivers from the motherboard product page, the X570 chipset drivers from the AMD website and the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website?

What exact PSU model are you running all this with?

Have you checked your Vsync settings in Nvidia control panel to see if that might be screwing things up?
i pretty much followed every sugestion on this thread and others I found online. I also check nvidia control panel and no v sync was off globally and also in warzone. Im using a 750W NZXT PSU and yes I did install drivers once again after the clean install. In regards to checking ryzen master every match I have played I have been checking it on my second monitor there is no anomalies the only thing that changes in ryzen master is the EDC cpu which goes to 98% (I read this is normal under load) I have also tried using all the power plans balanced, perfomance and also amd’s power plans. Ram is placed in 2nd and 4th slot as the manual said.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020

i pretty much followed every sugestion on this thread and others I found online. I also check nvidia control panel and no v sync was off globally and also in warzone. Im using a 750W NZXT PSU and yes I did install drivers once again after the clean install. In regards to checking ryzen master every match I have played I have been checking it on my second monitor there is no anomalies the only thing that changes in ryzen master is the EDC cpu which goes to 98% (I read this is normal under load) I have also tried using all the power plans balanced, perfomance and also amd’s power plans. Ram is placed in 2nd and 4th slot as the manual said.
You are not alone in this in fact im having much worst FPS than you do.
In warzone i get 100-120 on high settings. 3900x / RTX 3080. Spent an entire day trying out fixes from reddit and still no fix. I paid 3.5K USD for this entire new right with the 3080 card, I'm literally so drained out and tired from trying to fix this issue.

Oct 6, 2020

i pretty much followed every sugestion on this thread and others I found online. I also check nvidia control panel and no v sync was off globally and also in warzone. Im using a 750W NZXT PSU and yes I did install drivers once again after the clean install. In regards to checking ryzen master every match I have played I have been checking it on my second monitor there is no anomalies the only thing that changes in ryzen master is the EDC cpu which goes to 98% (I read this is normal under load)
[/QUOTE
You are not alone in this in fact im having much worst FPS than you do.
In warzone i get 100-120 on high settings. 3900x / RTX 3080. Spent an entire day trying out fixes from reddit and still no fix. I paid 3.5K USD for this entire new right with the 3080 card, I'm literally so drained out and tired from trying to fix this issue.
lets hope we actually get good fps in zombies and multiplayer in Cold War. If not we get a zen 3 cpu

Oct 6, 2020
He's basing it on the fact that with half of them disabled, the CPU is likely to boost higher and for longer than with them all enabled, and less likely to throttle due to temps. Some thermal issues may be ones you aren't, and can't, monitor for, as these Ryzen CPUs are operationally very complex and they follow an extremely complex algorithm for core behaviors.

I can't remember, do you have Precision boost overdrive enabled? If so, try disabling it, with all the cores enabled, and if that doesn't help at all, try it with it disabled and maybe just disable two of the cores. Every degree you reduce the package temperature could have an extended affect on core performance.

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Darkbreeze was on track with what I was getting at.

Some games do not know(by way of how they were coded) what to do with all the resources available to them and literally 'hurt themselves in their confusion'.
-COD: Warzone is a game that is known to use up to 12 cpu threads.
-A 3900X has 2x that. Does the Primary Thread(s) ignore the 12 extra threads available? Does it try to incorporate them into their tasks somehow, thus the cpu trips over itself in the process?

That, and I remember reading a thread or 2 where others fixed such performance issues by disabling cores on high core count models.

Reactions: RodroX