Question RTX 3080 And Ryzen 7 3700x Performance issues, low FPS on 1080p. What is the problem?

Dec 17, 2020
Hello, my pc:

Motherboard: Aorus Elite B550 rev 1.0
RAM: 16GB 2x8GB 3200mhz (XMP profile). Corsair vengeance Pro RGB
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
PSU: Sentey 750W 80+ (2 separated cables 2x8pin connected to GPU)

• Drivers installed with DDU
  • Latest Nvidia drivers
  • Performance mode on Nvidia panel
Ok, so playing on 1080P I can't get more than 120fps on warzone (without ray tracing and shadows), 50-60 fps on Cyperpunk (ultra with ray tracing) 60-80 (ultra without ray tracing).
CPU usage is always between 40 and 50%. GPU usage can't get over 80% (at least MSI afterburner never shows me 100% there, and never over 80%).

I think there is something very bad, like not my build, something about Nvidia drivers, games or whatever. In 1080p I should get at least 200+ fps. Youtube channels show 200+ fps in benchmarks. And 1080p shouldn't bottleneck neigther.

What do you guys think? Do you know if is there a fix for this? I shouldn't need a 4000 series processor or an i9-10XX whatever.

From what I see in videos your warzone results are typical.
Cyberpunk is a new game that needs work its hard to find an issue but from a few videos this seems typical even good.

Apparently you can only change texture detail from the main menu.
Maybe patch those games as far as you can and try again.

Cpu usage seems lower than the videos but the gpu usage seems to be on par.
Seriously though turn the settings all the way up.

Dec 17, 2020
From what I see in videos your warzone results are typical.
Cyberpunk is a new game that needs work its hard to find an issue but from a few videos this seems typical even good.

Apparently you can only change texture detail from the main menu.
Maybe patch those games as far as you can and try again.

Cpu usage seems lower than the videos but the gpu usage seems to be on par.
Seriously though turn the settings all the way up.

Yes, settings are on ultra. I get the same FPS I used to see with my 1070ti, just a few more, but not a lot. I can’t get stable 60fps on cyberpunk, but I think I need to wait for fixes. What game do you recommend me to try? I can get fps and show you

You planning to get a higher resolution monitor anytime soon? 3080 on 1080p is kinda...

I can’t afford a 1440p screen right now, but yes. My intention is to jump to 1440 at 144hz. The problem is, with these results... I don’t know If I get a 1440p screen I will see less FPS.

What if I have a 240hz 1080p monitor for competitive gaming? The solution is not buying a new screen you know...

Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. While I do expect you are limited by the cpu I’d still expect it to do better than 120fps in Warzone.

Are you running PBO? Do you have the Ryzen Windows power plan installed and selected?

I watched 3 videos in a row last night. Exactly the same setup, the same ram speed, all with very similar results.120FPS on ultra for warzone. Same cpu usage, with the same gpu usage.

What you are seeing is typical for your setup.

The 3080 is not a 1080P card.
One suggestion that might offer more results is to try rendering @ 1440p using the nvidia software and have it displayed at 1080p.

This feature is supposed to make things look better, for me I am limited by my monitor quality.I see no difference when I do it, but this is something you might want to try, I bet everything stays the same except load on your gpu and cpu.

I watched 3 videos in a row last night. Exactly the same setup, the same ram speed, all with very similar results.120FPS on ultra for warzone. Same cpu usage, with the same gpu usage.

What you are seeing is typical for your setup.

The 3080 is not a 1080P card.
One suggestion that might offer more results is to try rendering @ 1440p using the nvidia software and have it displayed at 1080p.

This feature is supposed to make things look better, for me I am limited by my monitor quality.I see no difference when I do it, but this is something you might want to try, I bet everything stays the same except load on your gpu and cpu.
At 1080p and a 3080 with that cpu the OP should be able to push 200fps with RT off COD WARZONE 1080p low competitive 144Hz+ / 5700XT * 3700X - YouTube

At 1080p and a 3080 with that cpu the OP should be able to push 200fps with RT off COD WARZONE 1080p low competitive 144Hz+ / 5700XT * 3700X - YouTube
Should be and can are entirely different things.
This simply isnt a 1080p card which seems strange to say.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w687StcTBc

this guy is running faster ram and geting more frames but still nowhere near 200
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTg9_0a0cM

This guy as well about 120 fps
View: https://youtu.be/OnmAyrF6b0Y?t=402

its a bummer but what more can ya do aside from get faster ram?

This simply isnt a 1080p card which seems strange to say.

this guy is running faster ram and geting more frames but still nowhere near 200

The first and last video are irrelevant as they have RT enabled which tanks performance.

I play a lot of Modern Warefare and Cold War but don’t normally play Warzone. I will give Warzone a go over the weekend. In MW and CW 200fps is possible with my 3080, 3700x and RAM @ 3600mhz CL16 but I can’t remember what I got with Warzone.

The first and last video are irrelevant as they have RT enabled which tanks performance.

I play a lot of Modern Warefare and Cold War but don’t normally play Warzone. I will give Warzone a go over the weekend. In MW and CW 200fps is possible with my 3080, 3700x and RAM @ 3600mhz CL16 but I can’t remember what I got with Warzone.

I mean just keep looking, it's everywhere, another amd 3 cpu with a 3090 on this forum, same issue same frame rate.

Dec 17, 2020
This isnt a 1080p card which seems strange to say.

The last video is a 3070, but anyway here it's a link video with a lot of games, same build:

You can see there that 1440p doesn't give him more FPS; in fact, it gives him less FPS, less for 4k of course.
Do you see his GPU usage at modern warfare? 90% more or less. Mine is less than 80%

I will post a userbench profile later and try to play many video games I have and share the results.

Is the r7 3700x that bad? I can't believe it. This is so sad.

The last video is a 3070, but anyway here it's a link video with a lot of games, same build:

You can see there that 1440p doesn't give him more FPS; in fact, it gives him less FPS, less for 4k of course.
Do you see his GPU usage at modern warfare? 90% more or less. Mine is less than 80%

I will post a userbench profile later and try to play many video games I have and share the results.

Is the r7 3700x that bad? I can't believe it. This is so sad.
oh for sure, this issue is centered around war zone

Dec 17, 2020
The new components have arrived, I have now a Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe and 16GB more of RAM at 3200mhz. But, this time I made a clean Windows installation with RTX 3080 on. I think this fixed something because I found better results.

So I made a few tests. This is my userbench test

I tried some 3D Mark tests too

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-3.png

And I tried different games with max settings, with Ray tracing, without RT, different resolutions: 1080p, 1440p 2160p (I have a 1080p display, I'm using virtual resolutions that Nvidia provides).

Modern Warfare without shadows and RT

warfare190.png

With Ray Tracing and shadows I get over 130 fps, so it's pretty great, even on 1440p.

Modern Warfare ULTRA (RT on) at 4K (it looks amazing, even on 1080p)

warfare4k.png

So I couldn't get more than 134 fps on Warzone (1080p, 1440p, or whatever). High settings, I can try low but looks like shi**

warzone134.png

Using a bigger resolution, the GPU uses 85 - 99%, that is ok, but doesn't imply more FPS, at least for me.

I discovered that setting virtual resolutions, like 1440p on a 1080p display looks better, in some games way better.

I thought that with this build I would play every game at 144hz, so I can buy a new display: 1440p@144hz. But it seems I can't yet, I need a better CPU. And I will wait for 5000 series.
Other results:
  • CSGO MAX (1080p) 200 - 280FPS (a lot of drops and highs there, I don't know why)
  • The Witcher 3 MAX (1080p) 155fps
  • Cyberpunk ULTRA without RT (1080p) 62FPS BUT on (1440p) I got 64 FPS and looks way sharper. This game needs optimizations indeed.

My question is: Should I get different results with a real 1440p screen?

BTW, these are good results I think, I couldn't get these results with my previous MSI gaming 1070ti. What do you think?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My question is: Should I get different results with a real 1440p screen?
The performance scaling of the RTX 30 series is STRONG, that's a fact. No, it doesn't mean higher resolutions will yield higher fps.
Just throwing numbers out there to try and give an idea what I mean:
-Say a 3080 is faster in games than a 2080 by 50% in 1080p.
-At 1440p, it's 65% faster.
-At 4K, it's 80%.

Whereas if you look at the 2080 Vs the 1080, it's between 20-30% difference across the 3 resolutions. *Again, pulling numbers from nowhere - sort of.
That's why some folks have been getting flak from others here and there for purchasing 3080s and 3090s for 1080p, because they - thinking from a price to performance perspective - know there's better value to be had with a 3080 at a higher resolution.
Not everyone prioritizes value though. I might bring it up once or twice, then drop the subject.

Dec 17, 2020
There is something wrong, I found new examples. I was watching Huskerrs streaming and I saw that he was reaching 168 -200, very stable. So I looked to his specs:
  • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra Motherboard
  • Intel i9-9900K Processor
  • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
  • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Graphics Card
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200MHz CL14 RAM
  • Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB SSD
  • Corsair RM750x 750W Power Supply
I started to see R7 3700x vs i9-9900K comparisons and I found many like this one:

It can reach 180 - 200 fps there too! with a 2080ti and 3700x @4.4!

So I started to try everything, turning low latency off, very low settings, very high settings, medium settings, different resolutions. I even overclocked my CPU from default to 4.4ghz and I can't get 140 stables... I get 120 - 138 fps. like overclocking it didn't change anything... So I don't know, I saw many videos about 3700x vs i9-9900K and there isn't a big difference in real performance, like 10 or 15 fps more with an i9-9900K, not +40 fps!

Dec 17, 2020
Just tried and average about 150-160 which seems low compared to Warefare and Cold War. Usages are moderate on both gpu and cpu. I’ve seen reports of people modifying game files but I’m not trying that.

Here is explained what people is doing with game files:

and it's safe, you can do that.

TL;DR: You have to change only one file, in Documents/Call of Duty Modern Warfare/players you have a file named adv_options. This file has a line that says RendererWorkerCount = 12 for instance. You have to change that number to the number of physical cores that your CPU has. In my case is 8, so I changed it to 8 but I didn't see any difference.