[SOLVED] RTX 3080: Asus TUF vs Gigabyte Gaming OC

May 17, 2020
Hello. I have somehow managed to get my hands on two RTX 3080 graphics cards. I will use one for my computer and send back the other one, but I cant chose which one to keep.
Im choosing between a Gigabyte Gaming OC and a Asus TUF Gaming non-OC. I paid almost the exact same price for both cards so the cost is not an factor to consider when choosing.

So far, I have come to the following conclusions:

Gigabyte Gaming OC pros:
  • Overclocked, higher performance
  • 4 year warranty

Asus TUF non-OC pros:
  • Better cooling (better temps and more quiet)
  • Overall better build quality compared to Gigabyte card (espacially the poor design choice for PCI-connectors on the Gigabyte card with extension cables)

So what do you guys think? Which card should I choose?

Solution
Flip a coin if you have to - the differences between the 2 cards isn't anything drastic.
1)They have practically the same power limits, so one isn't going to 'wipe the floor' with the other:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225554/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-3

2)The advertised boost clocks are irrelevant, since Nvidia's Gpu Boost will easily push higher than that anyway.

3)Better cooling equals higher sustained boost clocks - bar power limits, at least.

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
To be honest, it all comes down to you. I have the 3070 of the Gigabyte and mine is near enough silent and below 70 degrees.

If you intend to OC, the Gigabyte will just give you that extra performance you mentioned. Both are excellent manufacturers and the fine margins between them, will come down to your own wants and needs.

If you were comparing a Strix and a Zotac, i think that would be a lot more clear cut.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Flip a coin if you have to - the differences between the 2 cards isn't anything drastic.
1)They have practically the same power limits, so one isn't going to 'wipe the floor' with the other:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225554/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-3

2)The advertised boost clocks are irrelevant, since Nvidia's Gpu Boost will easily push higher than that anyway.

3)Better cooling equals higher sustained boost clocks - bar power limits, at least.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Hello. I have somehow managed to get my hands on two RTX 3080 graphics cards. I will use one for my computer and send back the other one, but I cant chose which one to keep.
Im choosing between a Gigabyte Gaming OC and a Asus TUF Gaming non-OC. I paid almost the exact same price for both cards so the cost is not an factor to consider when choosing.

So far, I have come to the following conclusions:

Gigabyte Gaming OC pros:
  • Overclocked, higher performance
  • 4 year warranty

Asus TUF non-OC pros:
  • Better cooling (better temps and more quiet)
  • Overall better build quality compared to Gigabyte card (espacially the poor design choice for PCI-connectors on the Gigabyte card with extension cables)

So what do you guys think? Which card should I choose?
Try both of them and sell the one with less coil whine :)

D

Deleted member 2720853

ASUS. Simply because the experiences I've had with ASUS were all fantastic whereas with Gigabyte... bleh. They're also top tier GPU manufacturer rn, up there with EVGA. MSI comes after both of them, and only then there's Gigabyte.

D

Deleted member 2720853

That's correct, but if the OP chooses to go with Gigabyte I sure hope they don't end up like a friend of mine who had his 2080 Ti Gaming OC die after just one week of usage. Combined with two Gigabyte boards of mine dying, I find it hard to recommend or even think about them right now. In this scenario I'd go ASUS, but that's just my recommendation.

Louu

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I have done a lot of research check this out
I am a HUGE HUGE fan of EVGA video card but I did not get a Evga 3080 and here is why.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j0ardv/rtx_3080_3090_definitive_poscap_mlcc_stats/

Asus TUF OC that's what I went with.

Google - best 3080 card by cap

Asus uses all 6 expensive MLCC caps where as most and all other cards use 1 or 2.

Get yourself a Asus TUF OC or Strix you'll thank me later

Reactions: Martlin
D

Deleted member 2720853

I have done a lot of research check this out
I am a HUGE HUGE fan of EVGA video card but I did not get a Evga 3080 and here is why.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j0ardv/rtx_3080_3090_definitive_poscap_mlcc_stats/

Asus TUF OC that's what I went with.

Google - best 3080 card by cap

Asus uses all 6 expensive MLCC caps where as most and all other cards use 1 or 2.

Get yourself a Asus TUF OC or Strix you'll thank me later
Got myself a MSI 3070, will wait for RTX 4000 lol. Every 3080 was over 1500 EUR!!!!! no thanks.

Reactions: Louu
D

Deleted member 2720853

How long before we're selling our 30's for the 4k series HAHAH!
after seeing what happened to those who panic sold their 2080 Tis, I think i'll hold onto my 3070 until I'm sure RTX 4000 stock is stabilized