[SOLVED] RTX 3080 at 91-96% usage

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
So, just got my strix 3080, paired with an i7 8700k OC'd to 5.2ghz, temps are all decent. The 3080 hovers around 70-77C, my CPU hovers around the same, 65-75.

Is my CPU potentially bottlenecking? I notice in RDR2 it's usage jumps up to the high 80s-90s briefly, but even when it's hovering around the 30s-50% usage, I rarely see the card at 99% maxed out usage (in most games I've tried out so far).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Solution
I'll put it in layman's terms.

You go to put a nail into the drywall to hang a picture. You use a small hammer, but the swinging motion still uses every single muscle, all 100% of them, to swing that tiny hammer, accurately.

What you don't need, is to use a sledgehammer, with a giant overhead swing, using every ounce of strength in your arm. You'd still use 100% of the muscles, same as with the tiny hammer, you really just do not need to use 100% of your strength to do so.

100% ability, tiny fraction of usage vs 100% ability and 100% usage.

If the gpu hits 100% usage, it has nothing more to give. No more vram, no more bandwidth, no more power or speed. And if the cpu supply a higher amount of fps at that point, your gpu just became...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Games aren't constant workloads like Prime 95. Do you want them to be like that for some reason? :unsure:

2)"Is my CPU potentially bottlenecking? I notice in RDR2 it's usage jumps up to the high 80s-90s briefly, but even when it's hovering around the 30s-50% usage, I rarely see the card at 99% maxed out usage (in most games I've tried out so far)"
You can't do that with cpus. It isn't accurate because of the multiple cores/threads. You have to measure each one.

3)What resolution?

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
1)Games aren't constant workloads like Prime 95. Do you want them to be like that for some reason? :unsure:

2)"Is my CPU potentially bottlenecking? I notice in RDR2 it's usage jumps up to the high 80s-90s briefly, but even when it's hovering around the 30s-50% usage, I rarely see the card at 99% maxed out usage (in most games I've tried out so far)"
You can't do that with cpus. It isn't accurate because of the multiple cores/threads. You have to measure each one.

3)What resolution?

At 3440x1440, and are you sure? I've always had my GPUs (680, 1060, and 1080) basically maxed out 24/7, especially in a super intensive game like rdr2. In the same area in RDR2 my 1080 was not only at 99% but at 100% usage most of the time

Also, just checked and the CPU maxed out across all 6 cores around 85% usage at it's peak. Would bounce around between 40-90%, affecting the framerate, GPU never went above 96% usage

Well for one its is a new GPU so it's going to take a while for Nvidia to having it play ball properly with a large majority of games.

I myself have an i7 6800K at stock currently and from looking online I would get around 10% bottleneck if I got the GPU you have currently.

The drops could also be as the CPU is old architecture and maybe the newer CPU's may run better with that newer GPU architecture (not that I'm saying to buy one)

You could try different drivers to see if any improvement are gained as well.

Reactions: haloguy1999

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Am I sure they aren't constant workloads, you ask?
If they were, some users would have thermal issues in game right now.
Areas in game where fps tanks or shoots up wouldn't be a thing either.

Also, just checked and the CPU maxed out across all 6 cores around 85% usage at it's peak.
So you're saying that each core never exceeded 85%, or are you saying that average usage is 85%? The latter is still the wrong way to do it, because all it takes is a single core/thread to hinder performance.

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Am I sure they aren't constant workloads, you ask?
If they were, some users would have thermal issues in game right now.
Areas in game where fps tanks or shoots up wouldn't be a thing either.

So you're saying that each core never exceeded 85%, or are you saying that average usage is 85%? The latter is still the wrong way to do it, because all it takes is a single core/thread to hinder performance.

No like, the workloads change ofc but typically my GPU is always maxed out. I was walking around in Saint Denis which is prob the most intense area in the game, and it seemed like my CPU might've been holding the GPU back

also, each individual core was around 85%, some at 84%, some a little lower, but they were all in the 80s at their maximum

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'll put it in layman's terms.

You go to put a nail into the drywall to hang a picture. You use a small hammer, but the swinging motion still uses every single muscle, all 100% of them, to swing that tiny hammer, accurately.

What you don't need, is to use a sledgehammer, with a giant overhead swing, using every ounce of strength in your arm. You'd still use 100% of the muscles, same as with the tiny hammer, you really just do not need to use 100% of your strength to do so.

100% ability, tiny fraction of usage vs 100% ability and 100% usage.

If the gpu hits 100% usage, it has nothing more to give. No more vram, no more bandwidth, no more power or speed. And if the cpu supply a higher amount of fps at that point, your gpu just became a bottleneck.

Solution