[SOLVED] RTX 3080 bad drivers?

barnett71

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
So ever since upgrading to a RTX 3080 I seem to be getting problems with a few games and in some games I'm getting major FPS gains and in other none at all

Metro exodus - game keeps crashing after about 10 mins of playing

Battlefield 1 - no FPS gains

PGA 2k21 - major FPS gains but random crashes and earlier had some crazy pixelated artifacts appear

Warzone - very bad stuttering and no FPS gains

Also I don't know if I'm going mad but I'm sure G sync isn't working as I'm getting slight screen tearing

My specs
i5 8600k @ 4.8ghz
32 Ram @ 3600
RTX 3080fe (used to have 1080ti)
Dell 144hz g sync monitor 1440p
2 X 2tb Samsung Evo SSD
750w gold Corsair psu

In all of these games the GPU is between 90-98% usage and the CPU around 70-80

Any ideas guys? I'm just hoping it's that latest drivers

Last edited:
Solution
Let's see...

1)Metro exodus - game keeps crashing after about 10 mins of playing
Could be drivers - it is still fairly new... I'm assuming you used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old gpu drivers and then install the latest?
It could also be the psu - don't quote me on this one, but I have seen bits of info suggesting that these RTX 30 cards have ridiculous power spikes that can make some gold rated psus freak out.

2)Battlefield 1 - no FPS gains
Someone quote me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this game prefer 8 cpu threads? If all the 8600K has is 6, then yeah, I wouldn't expect a new gpu to change much.

3) PGA 2k21 - major FPS gains but random crashes and earlier had some crazy pixelated artifacts appear
See #1.
Also, if you...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Let's see...

1)Metro exodus - game keeps crashing after about 10 mins of playing
Could be drivers - it is still fairly new... I'm assuming you used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old gpu drivers and then install the latest?
It could also be the psu - don't quote me on this one, but I have seen bits of info suggesting that these RTX 30 cards have ridiculous power spikes that can make some gold rated psus freak out.

2)Battlefield 1 - no FPS gains
Someone quote me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this game prefer 8 cpu threads? If all the 8600K has is 6, then yeah, I wouldn't expect a new gpu to change much.

3) PGA 2k21 - major FPS gains but random crashes and earlier had some crazy pixelated artifacts appear
See #1.
Also, if you have any manually applied overclocks, remove them and test again. Some games don't react kindly to overclocks at all.

4) Warzone - very bad stuttering and no FPS gains
You're totally cpu thread limited here. This game can use up to 12 cpu threads.

5)Also I don't know if I'm going mad but I'm sure G sync isn't working as I'm getting slight screen tearing.
Drivers?
Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Set up G-Sync: Have you tried toggling between both circle options with any luck?
Check monitor support page for any recent firmware updates?

That's all the ideas I have so far.

Solution

barnett71

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys I forgot to mention I have undervolted the card as shown on a YouTube video

I have used ddu to uninstall drivers

With warzone - I've seen a lot of comments similar to mine. Some people are getting worse FPS then they did before so I'm assuming it's just typical cod Devs screwings things up

I will check out the sync page you mentioned and check for monitor firmware

Rbk_3

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys I forgot to mention I have undervolted the card as shown on a YouTube video

I have used ddu to uninstall drivers

With warzone - I've seen a lot of comments similar to mine. Some people are getting worse FPS then they did before so I'm assuming it's just typical cod Devs screwings things up

I will check out the sync page you mentioned and check for monitor firmware

Yes something is happening with my 3090 too. Warzone doesn’t feel right. I have perfect frametime and framerate and it just doesn’t feel smooth. Before on my 2070 I could play with gsync on but vsync off but if I do that on the 3080 I get screen tears at the bottom. If I have vsync on it doesn’t feel right it just isn’t smooth no matter what I do