[SOLVED] RTX 3080 build @ 1440p 144hz

Pr1zeee

Reputable
May 25, 2016
Hi All,

I'm looking to fully upgrade my current PC and I'm looking at a budget of around £1500-£2000.

ATM I'm running an i5-6600k with a GTX 1070 but I'm struggling to run some games at 1440p on higher settings, hence the upgrade.

I have made a theory list already and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions/improvements for the parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Custom: RTX 3080 (£650.00)
Custom: 500GB M2 SSD (Purchased)
Total: £1592.78

Solution
It’s a very nice build that I’m sure will meet your needs. If going with that cpu I would probably go 280mm or 360mm AIO as I think your pushing a 240mm if you overclock it. If it was my build I’d probably go AMD 3700X or 3800XT but that’s a personal preference of getting 2 cores & 4 threads more. Also a 240mm AIO is more than enough with these CPU’s and a slightly cheaper B550 board.
It’s a very nice build that I’m sure will meet your needs. If going with that cpu I would probably go 280mm or 360mm AIO as I think your pushing a 240mm if you overclock it. If it was my build I’d probably go AMD 3700X or 3800XT but that’s a personal preference of getting 2 cores & 4 threads more. Also a 240mm AIO is more than enough with these CPU’s and a slightly cheaper B550 board.

Solution

Pr1zeee

Reputable
May 25, 2016
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about AMD for a while but I'm slightly leaning towards intel only because this build will mostly be used for gaming only and I'm trying to get as much performance as I can for as long as possible.

I have a question regarding the ram, I'm thinking about going 4x8 instead of the 2x16 because I want to fill up all the slots and I think 32GB would last me long enough to not need an upgrade.
Is it safe to buy 2 2x8 kits of the exact same ram as it seems to be cheaper than a full kit of 4x8?

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about AMD for a while but I'm slightly leaning towards intel only because this build will mostly be used for gaming only and I'm trying to get as much performance as I can for as long as possible.

I have a question regarding the ram, I'm thinking about going 4x8 instead of the 2x16 because I want to fill up all the slots and I think 32GB would last me long enough to not need an upgrade.
Is it safe to buy 2 2x8 kits of the exact same ram as it seems to be cheaper than a full kit of 4x8?
It’s advised not to mix RAM kits even when the same make and model. While it often works there is a chance of issues. RAM is only guaranteed to work in the kit it is sold in. Also running 4 dimms can have trouble hitting higher frequencies, again not always but definitely more chance of problems. It seems from my observation to sometimes have issues over 3000mhz but that’s not a fact, just what I’ve seen and read. If you want to fill all 4 dimms because it looks good then take a look at this which goes with Corsair Vengeance Pro https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...NCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2

I’ve just picked up a set for £30 to go with my 2x16 set and I’m very happy with the overall look.

Pr1zeee

Reputable
May 25, 2016
It’s advised not to mix RAM kits even when the same make and model. While it often works there is a chance of issues. RAM is only guaranteed to work in the kit it is sold in. Also running 4 dimms can have trouble hitting higher frequencies, again not always but definitely more chance of problems. It seems from my observation to sometimes have issues over 3000mhz but that’s not a fact, just what I’ve seen and read. If you want to fill all 4 dimms because it looks good then take a look at this which goes with Corsair Vengeance Pro https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2

I’ve just picked up a set for £30 to go with my 2x16 set and I’m very happy with the overall look.
That's a good shout. This way I end up with 2x16 + the kit you linked which still ends up being cheaper overall and will have the option to upgrade in the future.