[SOLVED] RTX 3080 Extreme FPS Drops

Dec 10, 2020
Hi all,

This has so far only been in an issue in Watch Dogs: Legion and now Cyberpunk 2077. Playing both games in 4K at max settings, raytracting on, DLSS in performance mode. The game will run fine for about 10-15 minutes, averaging around 45-55fps, then all of a sudden the framerate drops to sub 10fps, and stays that way until you restart the game. Looking at my GPU usage, in all cases the usage kicks up to 100% during the drop when it normally hovers around 50-70%.

For context, in both games I've tried all manner of graphic settings. I've turned off raytracing completely, set settings to low, even gone as far as lowering resolution to 1080p, and still, eventually after 10-15 minutes the framerate drops to 10 or below and GPU usage is maxed out. This does not occur in any other game; I've played both Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Red Dead Redemption 2 at max settings in 4K and consistently maintained 60-70FPS throughout.

Initially I chalked it up to poor performance from Ubisoft, but now that the same issue is happening with Cyberpunk I'm concerned there's something wrong with my system - especially since I can't seem to find anyone else with this specific issue. I am not sure what to do; I'm running the latest NVIDIA drivers and I never encountered this on the same PC when I had a GTX 1080 installed.

Appreciate any advice you can offer, also curious if anyone is aware of this happening to anyone else.

My full PC Specs:
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Motherboard
Intel i7 8700k CPU o/c to 3.8ghz
Corsair H100i V2 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 2280 SSD
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 2280 SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
EVGA SuperNova P2 850W Modular Power Supply

Thanks!

Solution
To anyone who comes across this thread, I think I fixed my own issue.

I use Wallpaper Engine and had a playlist set to change the wallpaper every 15 minutes. Seems like the framerate drop coincided with every time the wallpaper would update. Since turning that feature off, I haven't come across that issue anymore and FPS is (fairly) stable.

Only tested in CP2077 so far, but I'm guessing this fixes it in WD:L too. No idea why this wouldn't have affected AC Valhalla, but oh well.
Dec 10, 2020
To anyone who comes across this thread, I think I fixed my own issue.

I use Wallpaper Engine and had a playlist set to change the wallpaper every 15 minutes. Seems like the framerate drop coincided with every time the wallpaper would update. Since turning that feature off, I haven't come across that issue anymore and FPS is (fairly) stable.

Only tested in CP2077 so far, but I'm guessing this fixes it in WD:L too. No idea why this wouldn't have affected AC Valhalla, but oh well.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution