[SOLVED] RTX 3080 FE Fried Possibly, what should I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 4, 2020
Hello, I'm both saddened and scared at the moment, by some miraculous event I managed to get my hands on a 3080 FE a few weeks ago and was recently enjoying it up until Monday. It seems that my EVGA BQ 850W bronze PSU almost fried my entire system. So what I did was bring my entire system to a local custom computer technician in my area and he managed to bring my MOBO back to life but it seems that my PSU was completely fried and my GPU wasn't showcasing any video, although it still powered on the fans still and the LED was also still powering on. The problem was that no video was being received from the card and it was further tested with a different GPU which managed to bring up video unlike my 3080 FE. So far, the technician said that the card seems to be no longer be functional, but he said that he will see what he can do to revive it, which is still a slim chance. I'm wondering what to do in this situation, is there a way for me to recoup the loss from the GPU? Pray that the technician is able to fix it? Should I sell it on Ebay for parts? Find a professional GPU fixer who's skilled in repairing GPUs? What exactly should I do in this situation where hope seems to be so slim?

For those who are curious of my build:

Mobo: ASUS TUF x570 MOBO (Revived)
CPU: RYZEN 3700x
RAM: Trident RGB 32GB 4k mhz
GPU: 3080 FE (Possibly fried, still powers on but no video. The condition is not yet 100% confirmed)
SSD: 500 GB
HDD: 1 TB
CPU Fan: DH-15 Noctua
PSU: 850 W Bronze EVGA (Fried)

Last edited:
Solution
Dude you bought an RTX 3080 but you're still stuck with an 850w 80 Plus Bronze decent tier 3 PSU with bad ripples?
I only have a 1070 but I got a tier 1 80+ gold PSU with good voltage regulations and 105 degrees Nichron caps..

Might aswell get a better PSU :|
Dec 4, 2020
Dude you bought an RTX 3080 but you're still stuck with an 850w 80 Plus Bronze decent tier 3 PSU with bad ripples?
I only have a 1070 but I got a tier 1 80+ gold PSU with good voltage regulations and 105 degrees Nichron caps..

Might aswell get a better PSU :|
Yeah it was my fault for cheaping out on the PSU, that's never happening again. I managed to get a 850w gold rated PSU with good reviews/ratings. Moral of the story: Don't be cheap and don't let your family near your PC unless you're around.

Reactions: ern88