[SOLVED] RTX 3080 FE Fried Possibly, what should I do?

Dec 4, 2020
Hello, I'm both saddened and scared at the moment, by some miraculous event I managed to get my hands on a 3080 FE a few weeks ago and was recently enjoying it up until Monday. It seems that my EVGA BQ 850W bronze PSU almost fried my entire system. So what I did was bring my entire system to a local custom computer technician in my area and he managed to bring my MOBO back to life but it seems that my PSU was completely fried and my GPU wasn't showcasing any video, although it still powered on the fans still and the LED was also still powering on. The problem was that no video was being received from the card and it was further tested with a different GPU which managed to bring up video unlike my 3080 FE. So far, the technician said that the card seems to be no longer be functional, but he said that he will see what he can do to revive it, which is still a slim chance. I'm wondering what to do in this situation, is there a way for me to recoup the loss from the GPU? Pray that the technician is able to fix it? Should I sell it on Ebay for parts? Find a professional GPU fixer who's skilled in repairing GPUs? What exactly should I do in this situation where hope seems to be so slim?

For those who are curious of my build:

Mobo: ASUS TUF x570 MOBO (Revived)
CPU: RYZEN 3700x
RAM: Trident RGB 32GB 4k mhz
GPU: 3080 FE (Possibly fried, still powers on but no video. The condition is not yet 100% confirmed)
SSD: 500 GB
HDD: 1 TB
CPU Fan: DH-15 Noctua
PSU: 850 W Bronze EVGA (Fried)

Last edited:
Solution
Dude you bought an RTX 3080 but you're still stuck with an 850w 80 Plus Bronze decent tier 3 PSU with bad ripples?
I only have a 1070 but I got a tier 1 80+ gold PSU with good voltage regulations and 105 degrees Nichron caps..

Might aswell get a better PSU :|

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
what the computer guy will do is to try it with another PSU

if that doesn't work, you could RMA it. send it back to the seller and ask for a full refund seems to be a better option since there is no stock of 3080, if you receive one from RMA, it may be defective too

Hello, I'm both saddened and scared at the moment, by some miraculous event I managed to get my hands on a 3080 FE a few weeks ago and was recently enjoying it up until Monday. It seems that my 850W bronze PSU almost fried my entire system. So what I did was bring my entire system to a local custom computer technician in my area and he managed to bring my MOBO back to life but it seems that my PSU was completely fried and my GPU wasn't showcasing any video, although it still powered on the fans still and the LED was also still powering on. The problem was that no video was being received from the card and it was further tested with a different GPU which managed to bring up video unlike my 3080 FE. So far, the technician said that the card seems to be no longer be functional, but he said that he will see what he can do to revive it, which is still a slim chance. I'm wondering what to do in this situation, is there a way for me to recoup the loss from the GPU? Pray that the technician is able to fix it? Should I sell it on Ebay for parts? Find a professional GPU fixer who's skilled in repairing GPUs? What exactly should I do in this situation where hope seems to be so slim?

For those who are curious of my build:

Mobo: ASUS TUF x570 MOBO (Revived)
CPU: RYZEN 3700x
RAM: Trident RGB 32GB 4k mhz
GPU: 3080 FE (Possibly fried, still powers on but no video. The condition is not yet 100% confirmed)
SSD: 500 GB
HDD: 1 TB
CPU Fan: DH-15 Noctua
PSU: 850 W Bronze EVGA (Fried)

What is the exact model of your EVGA PSU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pray, I guess.
You definitely lost a video port on the card, that's for sure.

I'm interested in what led to this, so it won't happen again.
PSU: 850 W Bronze EVGA
There's 4 of these EVGA 850:
BQ: It's pretty average.
B5: I can't find anything on this one, so I'm left with Newegg and Amazon reviews - though the Newegg ones tend to be more reliable, but there's very few this time around. Some Amazon reviews mention frying or popping, but...
B3: This one's pretty sketch.
B2: Not much on this one either, but the OEM was Super Flower, so it couldn't have been too bad - probably was the best out of the 4.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Okay, so what was the PSU replacement?
Did you try a different display port?
Was there any funny smell coming out from the GPU?
It is also worth a try if you set the PCI-E x16 to Gen 3

Dec 4, 2020
Pray, I guess.

B5: I can't find anything on this one, so I'm left with Newegg and Amazon reviews - though the Newegg ones tend to be more reliable, but there's very few this time around. Some Amazon reviews mention frying or popping, but...
B2: Not much on this one either, but the OEM was Super Flower, so it couldn't have been too bad - probably was the best out of the 4.
The PSU is a BQ 850w Bronze, what I believe happened is that while I was at work, my sister often removes the power cord adapter from my PC as she believes it saves power if it's not plugged in. When I plugged it back into my PC, I heard a spark noise towards my adapter which alarmed me for a bit but no smell was coming from any of my parts. The PC was not able to be powered on after that audible spark from the PSU. Also are you sure that the video port is completely gone? Is there any way to fix it? Also wait, do you mean I lost a singular video port or all video ports? Or will that just have to be tested further.

Last edited:
Pray, I guess.

B5 is superflower based and appears to be decent
Review: EVGA 550 B5 PSU (550W) - PSU - HEXUS.net Perhaps not the best review.

Dec 4, 2020
Okay, so what was the PSU replacement?
Did you try a different display port?
Was there any funny smell coming out from the GPU?
It is also worth a try if you set the PCI-E x16 to Gen 3
The technician replaced my PSU with a 700w silver graded cooler master PSU, I'm not sure if he tried different display ports but I will ask him to do so. Initially there was no funny smell that came from any pc, what the technician did do was try a different GPU and with the different GPU, a display was visible so it seems central to the 3080 GPU.

The PSU is a BQ 850w Bronze, what I believe happened is that while I was at work, my sister often removes the power cord adapter from my PC as she believes it saves power if it's not plugged in. When I plugged it back into my PC, I heard a spark noise towards my adapter which alarmed me for a bit but no smell was coming from any of my parts. The PC was not able to be powered on after that audible spark from the PSU. Also are you sure that the video port is completely gone? Is there any way to fix it? Also wait, do you mean I lost a singular video port or all video ports? Or will that just have to be tested further.

I don't know what's more ironic: that your sister unplugs your PSU when there's a conveniently placed power switch right there on the back, or that she does it to save such a small amount of electricity compared to what your could be saving by using a gold or titanium rated PSU.

EVGA BQ 850W Bronze + PSU

I also can't help but notice this Tom's Hardware article on your PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-bq-series-850w-psu,4842-11.html I'll quote a portion of the closing thoughts:

"Load regulation is very loose, ripple suppression on the minor rails is mediocre, and the 3.3V rail's transient response is weak. To make matters worse, the efficiency levels are quite low, the inrush current under both voltage inputs (115V and 230V) is high, and the cooling fan is loud, even though it uses a reliable bearing."

I'm not trying to capitalize on your unfortunate circumstances to make a point, nor do I take any joy in "being right," but it's been repeated adnauseum on these forums that chosing a good PSU for your expensive new GPU isn't just about wattage or efficiency, its about how likely that PSU is to experience a catstrophic failure and whether it takes down any of your other hardware with it if that happens. In this case, luck wasn't on your side and what a lot have people have warned about ended up happening.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what I believe happened is that while I was at work, my sister often removes the power cord adapter from my PC as she believes it saves power if it's not plugged in. When I plugged it back into my PC, I heard a spark noise towards my adapter which alarmed me for a bit but no smell was coming from any of my parts.
Is it the adapter that originally came with the psu?

Also are you sure that the video port is completely gone? Is there any way to fix it? Also wait, do you mean I lost a singular video port or all video ports? Or will that just have to be tested further.
Those were just my assumptions based on the info you provided.
Did you, nor the repair associate, try other video ports on the card?

@NightHawkRMX
I saw that, but... it's just not the same. It's entirely possible for units of different rated wattage to be polar opposites in quality.

@RTX 2080
I believe the incident has more to do with the OP's sister's act of consideration than the actual quality of the psu - it's an average unit, not something that should've blown up on 'em through normal means.
It does not have Over Temperature Protection, but that happened too quickly for that to be a thing.

Dec 4, 2020
Is it the adapter that originally came with the psu?

Those were just my assumptions based on the info you provided.
Did you, nor the repair associate, try other video ports on the card?

@NightHawkRMX
I saw that, but... it's just not the same. It's entirely possible for units of different rated wattage to be polar opposites in quality.

@RTX 2080
I believe the incident has more to do with the OP's sister's act of consideration than the actual quality of the psu - it's an average unit, not something that should've blown up on 'em through normal means.
It does not have Over Temperature Protection, but that happened too quickly for that to be a thing.
I'm not sure if the technician tried the other ports but I will be asking him tomorrow, I purchased it from someone so I'm hoping that I am able to get the receipt and after I get a receipt, I can RMA it for for a replacement ONLY IF the GPU is completely out of commission. This is depressing considering how close cyber punk is to release, just how unlucky I am for not only this to happen but for me to miss such a big event that I've been waiting 6 years for. Truly unlucky, hahaha.

True, but even as the PSU shouldn't have blown up through normal means, his sister plugging in or unplugging a PSU shouldn't have caused this sort of issue either.

So assuming that an unexplained jolt of electricity was somehow inevitable under the circumstances regardless of the PSU, I wonder if a superior PSU with greater hardware-based failsafes might have absorbed the surge on its own and avoided transmitting it to the GPU.

Dec 24, 2020
Wow just wow. I just had pretty much almost the same exact issue happen to me 2 hours ago. Except I had no caring sister thankfully and my Rtx is kinda working I guess.
What happened was that I used my computer for the morning just surfing and some light gaming so at around 12am I decide to exit the game close all windows on the desktop and proceeded to shut off computer everything went fine. 5 minutes later I decide to turn it back on and as soon as I click the button to turn it on I hear a noise like short circuit or spark but didn't see any sparks on the computer tho. I kinda froze for a little (10 seconds) thinking what happened and started to smell like burned plastick. The RGBs flashed on and off and the computer didn't turned on. I then proceeded to turn off the switch on the Psu and unglugged it. I thought it was my Cpu coolers RGB that shorted so I waited for around 15 minutes to cool the pc off and pro eeded to turn it back on and inmediatly saw white smoke coming out of my GPU ( yes an RTX 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION.)
But this time it posted and was able to get signal as normal. I don't know what to do now. My PSU is an EVGA 220 G5 - 0850 RX refurbished unit bought it straight from EVGA website. It came with only the primary cables for a simple build. I have noticed something that is bugging me and is that the two VGA cables for the GPU are a little different as we know this GPU needs two x 8 pins cables connected to an adapter that converts it to an only 8 pin conector that goes to the GPU. In short one cable is thinner than the other one and the fatter cable has an additional writing on it that says 600v 125c W-1 and the thinner cable just says 600v 125c. Something tell me that could be the cause of the problem? Can somebody help me I don't know what to do other than throw this PSU to the garbage.

Dec 4, 2020
Wow just wow. I just had pretty much almost the same exact issue happen to me 2 hours ago. Except I had no caring sister thankfully and my Rtx is kinda working I guess.
What happened was that I used my computer for the morning just surfing and some light gaming so at around 12am I decide to exit the game close all windows on the desktop and proceeded to shut off computer everything went fine. 5 minutes later I decide to turn it back on and as soon as I click the button to turn it on I hear a noise like short circuit or spark but didn't see any sparks on the computer tho. I kinda froze for a little (10 seconds) thinking what happened and started to smell like burned plastick. The RGBs flashed on and off and the computer didn't turned on. I then proceeded to turn off the switch on the Psu and unglugged it. I thought it was my Cpu coolers RGB that shorted so I waited for around 15 minutes to cool the pc off and pro eeded to turn it back on and inmediatly saw white smoke coming out of my GPU ( yes an RTX 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION.)
But this time it posted and was able to get signal as normal. I don't know what to do now. My PSU is an EVGA 220 G5 - 0850 RX refurbished unit bought it straight from EVGA website. It came with only the primary cables for a simple build. I have noticed something that is bugging me and is that the two VGA cables for the GPU are a little different as we know this GPU needs two x 8 pins cables connected to an adapter that converts it to an only 8 pin conector that goes to the GPU. In short one cable is thinner than the other one and the fatter cable has an additional writing on it that says 600v 125c W-1 and the thinner cable just says 600v 125c. Something tell me that could be the cause of the problem? Can somebody help me I don't know what to do other than throw this PSU to the garbage.

Hello Bro, I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, good news is that since you have a Nvidia 3080 FE gpu, they offer a full 4 year warranty for you to send in and replace/repair. That's exactly what I did and managed to get a brand new card yesterday. Go to the Nvidia's customer support page and contact customer service for warranties so that you can arrange for it to be sent in to be replaced/fixed. All you would need is the receipt from the purchase if you purchased it from the Nvidia website and few more information that would be asked for by the warranty service. If you purchased it from someone else who purchased it from the Nvidia website, that's okay as well, as long as they provide you with the receipt/email receipt of the purchase, along with proof that you purchased it from them, you should be good to go. Now for the PSU, make sure to buy a high end PSU that's at least 750W along with a reliable mobo, if the PSU is completely fried then try to sell it on Ebay for parts/throw it away. Test out every single part as you might not be so lucky next time if it decides to do the same thing, don't take any risks by being cheap. Seek professional help in your area if it is offered as some businesses offer free or at least cheap diagnostics for your system.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020
Warranty won't cover damage caused by PSU failure
Well it did for me, I contacted NVIDIA Customer support and told them that the GPU wasn't giving off any video due to a shortage caused by my system. They sent me a brand new 3080, which is what I'm using right now. So in my case, even though my PSU fried my GPU, I was able to easily get a replacement through the warranty.

demhouser Good job getting this sorted. You're also very lucky Nvidia bailed you out of this situation. Best advice I can offer: Don't utilize used power supplies on high wattage GPUs, and dissuade your family from touching your PC hardware, and explain why. On a side note: I wasn't aware that Cooler Master made 700 watt silver efficiency power supplies in the US market, so I'm somewhat concerned about the unit that the technician swapped into your rig. But hopefully my concern is unfounded. Happy gaming.

Reactions: demhouser
Sep 23, 2020
Dude you bought an RTX 3080 but you're still stuck with an 850w 80 Plus Bronze decent tier 3 PSU with bad ripples?
I only have a 1070 but I got a tier 1 80+ gold PSU with good voltage regulations and 105 degrees Nichron caps..

Might aswell get a better PSU :|

Solution