Question RTX 3080: Flickering on top of screen using DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Got the card yesterday, having issues with flickering at the top of any of my 3 monitors connected to any of the cards port via DP, works perfectly fine through HDMI. shown in the video.

View: https://i.imgur.com/qWYRLYv.mp4

Specs:
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170x-Gaming 7
CPU: i7-6700k
PSU: Corsair HX850i
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2800 C15 QC - 32GB
Monitors: 3x Benq GW2765HT

The system needs an upgrade to not bottleneck the card, I know..I have all the parts needed just waiting for the new Ryzen CPUs to drop.
Card also runs games with no problems, performs as expected with my bottlenecks.
Everything works perfectly when I put my RTX 2070s back in.

What I have tried so far is fresh driver installs several times, reseating the GPU / power cables, plugged the computer to the wallsocket instead of the surge protector to rule out an overload there.
It happens on all 3 monitors, regardless of what DP cable or DP socket I use on the card, if I run all 3 or just 1. it also happens in the BIOS so that makes me very suspicious I have a lemon on my hands.,

What is odd is when I use my display port to HDMI adapter and plug it into a DP socket on my card and them the HDMI to the monitor, the issue does not happen, but the adapter is an oldie so only runs at 1080p, changing resolution on the screens when running full DP to 1080p does not help.
I'm not daisy chaining my PSU power either, 3 seperate PCI-E power cables.

The flickering does seem to happen more rapidly when the GPU clocks up in a game but I can't say for sure if it's the clocking or just random.

I see some people have had flickering/black screen issues who have fixed it by turning G-sync/Freesync off but my screens don't support it so its a non issue.
Anyone have any ideas for something I might not have tried?

Last edited:

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
So far it looks like the 3080s are clocked too high and crash. It's suppose to be at least partly resolved with a driver update.

Are you using the latest driver?

Yep, newest driver, I'm also not having any crashing issues, tried playing a few games for a while through the stable HDMI connection and performance was great, just can't get a DP signal without the exact same flickering through all 3 ports, 3 different screens and 5 different cables. Since it happens in BIOS I'm pretty sure it's not software related, could just be my imagination but it did seem to happen faster when the card clocked up.

Friend offered me to put it into his computer on Monday so guess I will know for sure then!

Reactions: NeoXCS

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Can you try your card in another PC?
And try another card in your PC?

Appreciate you helping but it does feel like you aren't quite reading everything here, first post as I said my 2070 super still works with no issues, and my previous post I ended with saying a friend offered me to put it in his computer on Monday.

I'll reply back with the results of course.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Update on this one, had it in my friends PC today and we tested it in BIOS only since I didn't want to mess with his drivers and setup too much by fully booting, but no problems detected while in his BIOS compared to my own.

Bit unsure what it could be at the moment since my current card gives me no issues in my build, maybe the the 3080 is bringing out an issue in my build that the 2070S isn't.

Either way I have a 100% fresh build that will be complete with the release of the new AMD CPUs and will ask the store to let me keep the card until I can test it in that.

Oct 8, 2020
Having the exact same issue as you on my 3080, I have two screens, one Acer and one the exact same model of Benq as yours. I only see the flickering occuring on the Benq monitor.
Was fine on my previous 1070Ti and 1080Ti, both using DisplayPort.
I also see the flicker occur in BIOS as well so looks like it is unlikely to be a driver issue.
No idea what's causing it.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Having the exact same issue as you on my 3080, I have two screens, one Acer and one the exact same model of Benq as yours. I only see the flickering occuring on the Benq monitor.
Was fine on my previous 1070Ti and 1080Ti, both using DisplayPort.
I also see the flicker occur in BIOS as well so looks like it is unlikely to be a driver issue.
No idea what's causing it.

That is VERY interesting that it is only happening on the BenQ monitor for you, that would be really weird for there to be a monitor incompatibility..But us having the exact same issue on the exact same type of screens and you not getting it on your other monitor and me not getting it on my friends computer does kind of make it seem like a monitor incompatibility...And here I am with 3 of these monitors :rolleyes:

Oh well I was looking at new LG Ultragears anyway..One solution you can try is get a Displayport to HDMI converter that supports 1440p 60hz, and use in the DP to the BenQ, my converter is old and only supports 1080p but when I tried it the problem went away, same using the HDMI port on the 3080.

Reactions: NeoXCS
Oct 8, 2020
I have switched over to the HDMI output on the 3080 direct to the HDMI input on the monitor and the issue is gone now! So weird, must be some odd incompatibility somewhere with this particular model of monitor and the 3000 series perhaps?

I wonder if more monitors will be affected as more cards roll out.
For the record my card is a EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra so not just related to one model of card.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
I have switched over to the HDMI output on the 3080 direct to the HDMI input on the monitor and the issue is gone now! So weird, must be some odd incompatibility somewhere with this particular model of monitor and the 3000 series perhaps?

I wonder if more monitors will be affected as more cards roll out.
For the record my card is a EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra so not just related to one model of card.

So HDMI also works for us both, very special.

I'm gonna be sending BenQ a notice about it and see if they are willing to look into it despite these being old monitors, they are still being sold as new after all.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015

Ok Steve, at this point I'm not sure if you are trolling or just spamming unhelpful advice.

I've seen you post in a lot of topics now with unhelpful advice or things that people have already said they have tried, including mine.

If you are serious about helping people I suggest you read topics to their full extent and don't just blurt out the first answer that comes to mind or that pops up through a google search.
This article is from 2018 and is not applicable here.

Oct 9, 2020
Hi all! (Just registered to reply)

I experience the same behavior as you guys, on my brand new Zotac Trinity RTX 3080. The Monitor that is connected via Displayport is flickering oddly. At first it only occured after the monitor came back from power-save mode, but now I have the issue even after startup of the machine.
I plugged my old 1060 into the system to see if I have a problem with my monitors, but there everything works fine. On the HDMI cable this never happens.
I already changed my Displayport cable, routed it to be far away from any disturbing electrical curent etc... problem is still occuring.
My main monitor is an Asus PB277Q.

Would be glad, if someone found a fix for that, as the rig is hardly usable that way :S

My system: Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
Ryzen 3900X
Zotac Trinity RTX 3080
32 GB 3200 MHz Corsair LPX RAM

Have a nice evening

I experience the same behavior as you guys, on my brand new Zotac Trinity RTX 3080. The Monitor that is connected via Displayport is flickering oddly. At first it only occured after the monitor came back from power-save mode, but now I have the issue even after startup of the machine.
I plugged my old 1060 into the system to see if I have a problem with my monitors, but there everything works fine. On the HDMI cable this never happens.
I already changed my Displayport cable, routed it to be far away from any disturbing electrical curent etc... problem is still occuring.

Would be glad, if someone found a fix for that, as the rig is hardly usable that way :S

Ryzen 3900X
Zotac Trinity RTX 3080

Have a nice evening

Make sure that your new GPU is seated correctly into your motherboard and all PCI wires are connected correctly!. Make sure that your bios is upto Date and you installed all the new drivers!

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015

Ryzen 3900X
Zotac Trinity RTX 3080

Have a nice evening

Interesting, and does your flickering happen in the same top part of the monitor as for me and topkekington?
I ordered some active DP to HDMI adapters to sort me out so I can use the card until we can get to the bottom of exactly what is happening.

Interesting if the exact same issue happens on other monitors as well.

Oct 9, 2020
Interesting, and does your flickering happen in the same top part of the monitor as for me and topkekington?
I ordered some active DP to HDMI adapters to sort me out so I can use the card until we can get to the bottom of exactly what is happening.

Interesting if the exact same issue happens on other monitors as well.

Video

Looks pretty much the same I would say.

Make sure that your new GPU is seated correctly into your motherboard and all PCI wires are connected correctly!. Make sure that your bios is upto Date and you installed all the new drivers!

it is. I have it actually mounted on a sag-bracket too.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Video

Looks pretty much the same I would say.

it is. I have it actually mounted on a sag-bracket too.

Yours seems to span the entire screen, ours only affect a specific part of the top of the screen, yours also manifested differently from mine in the sense that it wasn't there to begin with and became permanent after a while.
That said, yours also resolves itself when you switch to HDMI and works fine on your older card so there are similarities.

I did a quick check for any potential things our screens could share that would cause the issue but only found that they share the same panel manufacturer, as do many screens..The panel type is only one letter away from eachother so they could be in the same family? The BenQ is IPS and yours is TN however. but your screen was released to market 4 years after the BenQ.

And like you I have of course made sure mine is seated properly, reseated it several times.

Oct 9, 2020
So seems like I found somewhat of a fix:

My monitor allows me to change the mode of "Displayport Stream": I can set it to DisplayPort 1.1 or 1.2, and with 1.2 the problem seems to be gone (for now).

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
So seems like I found somewhat of a fix:

My monitor allows me to change the mode of "Displayport Stream": I can set it to DisplayPort 1.1 or 1.2, and with 1.2 the problem seems to be gone (for now).

Interesting, I tried this on mine when I first had the issue and it did nothing, mine was already at 1.2 so I tried 1.1.
If this has fixed your problem fully then that's fantastic!

Reactions: looter809

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I thought you said you had to use HDMI. I guess then I figured that no matter which DP port on your monitor you used it shouldn't make any difference. You didn't say that there was a variety of DP ports that you could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.