Jun 2, 2016
I just ordered a new PC with the following components:

CPU Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7GHz
GPU GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3080
RAM Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz
MOBO Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
PSU ASUS ROG THOR 1200W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

Will this be enough for 4K ultra with Ray tracing on at 60Hz? I am not interested in higher FPS for the foreseeable future. I want this to be good for 4 - 5 years without the need to upgrade GPU for. Should I consider upgrading to 3090? It is worth it?

Thanks

Solution
I hate when people ask this question.

Yes, it's good enough for 4k60hz, but so is a gt 1030 if youre talking about youtube videos or web games.

What game do you want to play at 4k 60?

Yes, that gpu is the best gpu you can physically get right now.
If its not enough for 4k60 in your games, you dont really have a choice.

It will get 4k60 is most AAA games. You might need DLSS to run rtx at 60, but this depends if youre talking about ultra.

Note:
That power supply is overkill, and super unnecessary.
Get an 850 watt unit or 1000 at best.
So is the motherboard.
Superhigh end boards like that are actual snake oil for anything but super overclockers that need amazeballs VRMS

Yes, it's good enough for 4k60hz, but so is a gt 1030 if youre talking about youtube videos or web games.

It will get 4k60 is most AAA games. You might need DLSS to run rtx at 60, but this depends if youre talking about ultra.

Note:
So is the motherboard.
Superhigh end boards like that are actual snake oil for anything but super overclockers that need amazeballs VRMS

Reactions: PeanutGenie
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I want this to be good for 4 - 5 years without the need to upgrade GPU for.
No, the gpu is the first thing to show its age in a gaming PC. You're not getting quite that much longevity out of it without having to turn down settings at some point.

There were several reviews that launched just last week. Have you not seen any of them?

Should I consider upgrading to 3090? It is worth it?
Reviews for that are literally a couple days away...

Last edited:

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016

Note:
So is the motherboard.

Thanks for the reply. I play mostly AAA games single player. No that interested in online multiplayer. Most benchmarks I've seen so far for the 3090 show only a 5 - 10% bump in FPS. Not sure if those early benchmarks are legitimate though.

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
No, the gpu is the first thing to show its age in a gaming PC. You're not getting quite that much longevity out of it without having to turn down settings at some point.

There were several reviews that launched just last week. Have you not seen any of them?

Reviews for that are literally a couple days away...

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Most benchmarks I've seen so far for the 3090 show only a 5 - 10% bump in FPS. Not sure if those early benchmarks are legitimate though.

Thanks for the reply. I play mostly AAA games single player. No that interested in online multiplayer. Most benchmarks I've seen so far for the 3090 show only a 5 - 10% bump in FPS. Not sure if those early benchmarks are legitimate though.
This really depends.
Some benchmarks show 8-12% while others show around 17-22%.

It's not much better than the 3080.
It costs so much more because of the 24gigs of vram.

If you had the money for a 3090, I would get a 3080 then use the exact money you saved here to get the next gen 4080 or whatever when it launches.
Almost 100% will be a better buy for gamers.

PeanutGenie

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
This really depends.
Some benchmarks show 8-12% while others show around 17-22%.

It's not much better than the 3080.
It costs so much more because of the 24gigs of vram.

If you had the money for a 3090, I would get a 3080 then use the exact money you saved here to get the next gen 4080 or whatever when it launches.
Almost 100% will be a better buy for gamers.

Sounds like a solid plan! Thank you